Rentals Project Update...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have been busy looking at a ton of apartments, taking notes, photos, video etc.

We originally had 50+ on our list, all in and around Gold's Gym, just off of Churchill. We chipped that down to around 15, taking photos, video, notes etc. Next week we will start the negotiating process.

We have already had a couple of owners chase us, looking to seriously cut prices, they want gringos.

By the end of this project, we should have at least 5-10 apartments, 2-3 bedroom, great locations, great apartments, furnished and unfurnished, ranging US$500-700, maybe cheaper. These are maintenance included prices and nothing scary later down the track.

If your looking, send me a PM, we may be able to facilitate finding you a new home in the upcoming weeks.

Notes:
- Real furnished apartments are very hard to find.
- Offer at least 30% of what they are asking and and show you'll prepared to walk away. You might be surprised who bites.
- Talk to the "watchieman", it's amazing what they know.
- Let a local, with a good phone voice do the initial phone calls, this is a must.
- GPS, really does help when your driving around, especially when you have to review 50+ apartments :)

Hopefully our complete guide with video, photos, notes, excel sheets, tips and a wealthy of invaluable information will be available sometime late November.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Robert...Congratulations....you are doing a great job and you are really doing your homework......bargain..lol..lol..regachando and talking to the right people"watchiman".....

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am sorry that there aren?t more coming to Gazcue....Guess I was hoping for a little coffee house!!

mountainannie,

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a french bistro/cafe style restaurant on Santiago. It was upstairs in a small 2 story strip mall, corner Cervantes or Pasteur. Anyways, this place is owned by a French guy, you can sit in or outside and have coffee and viennoiseries. They also have meals and specials everyday. He even made a pretty mean sancocho one day ;)

Hope you find something!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yup i know it

mountainannie,

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a french bistro/cafe style restaurant on Santiago. It was upstairs in a small 2 story strip mall, corner Cervantes or Pasteur. Anyways, this place is owned by a French guy, you can sit in or outside and have coffee and viennoiseries. They also have meals and specials everyday. He even made a pretty mean sancocho one day ;)

Hope you find something!

YUP.. I know it!!

it is the ENGLISH SPEAKING people to talk with that are missing!!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
please hurry up with posting the info online. i am looking to move to SD ASAP. looking for a nice (gringo standards ;)) furnished APT.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
please hurry up with posting the info online. i am looking to move to SD ASAP. looking for a nice (gringo standards ;)) furnished APT.

So you are aware...

This information will not be freely available, it will be on a pay-per-view basis.
It's taken us a lot of time and too valuable to give away.

It could literally save you hundreds or thousands of $$$.

Robert.

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
i just missed this opportunity, just did a 6 month lease, in piantini 780 month lightly furnished plus all expenses.problem is was mislead a fair bit..no water from 4-6 and all night after 10pm, so far raely hot water. power outages alot and inversion system wont operate fridge microwave or A/C, Broken lock on buildings front door. Live on 6th floor and so afr elevator has worked for 2 days and is about 3sq feet. Definitely 3rd world living, Of course i was told luxury building best area hot water generator etc.
live and learn guess

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i just missed this opportunity, just did a 6 month lease, in piantini 780 month lightly furnished plus all expenses.problem is was mislead a fair bit..no water from 4-6 and all night after 10pm, so far raely hot water. power outages alot and inversion system wont operate fridge microwave or A/C, Broken lock on buildings front door. Live on 6th floor and so afr elevator has worked for 2 days and is about 3sq feet. Definitely 3rd world living, Of course i was told luxury building best area hot water generator etc.
live and learn guess

Last week we looked at a place in Piantini.

2 bedroom, fully furnished, 2nd floor, older building.
My guess is the owner would have took US$500, maybe less and was very happy at the thought of a foreigner potentially moving in.

The problem with some parts of Naco or Piantini, is they are in grid lock from 7.30am to 7pm. Who wants to deal with that?

I have attached a few photos.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
So you are aware...

This information will not be freely available, it will be on a pay-per-view basis.
It's taken us a lot of time and too valuable to give away.

It could literally save you hundreds or thousands of $$$.

Robert.

Rob, I think your rental service is a GREAT idea. It is probably one of the most needed features for ex-pats or potential ex-pats, but...you are going to charge just to see the information, even if the person doesn't find an apartment? i think this may be a "tough sell"..and is actually illegal in the US...or at least Florida...(I know this isn't Florida, but...)

Isn't there a way to get a fee per lease either from the landlord or tenant?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rob, I think your rental service is a GREAT idea. It is probably one of the most needed features for ex-pats or potential ex-pats, but...you are going to charge just to see the information, even if the person doesn't find an apartment? i think this may be a "tough sell"..and is actually illegal in the US...or at least Florida...(I know this isn't Florida, but...)

Exactly how would the pay per view work?

I like DavidZ's idea of paying a fee once you sign a lease.

Another great thing would be to have a "pay service" that will do the leg work to turn on all utilities.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

If I sell you a "How to make money in the stock market" book and you loose money, is that illegal?

Anything that has true value, from a great source, is an easy sell.

Your putting the cart before the horse. Wait and see....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Exactly how would the pay per view work?

I like DavidZ's idea of paying a fee once you sign a lease.

Another great thing would be to have a "pay service" that will do the leg work to turn on all utilities.

Pay-Per-View is a little misleading, sorry. I mean, pay to view the info, not the apartment.

A "pay service" is a good idea, but it wouldn't be cheap. For someone to run around for you, look at apartments, handle the utilities etc etc, your looking at a minimum of US$1,000+ to handle that as a package.

Good people, that know what they are doing and do it right, don't come cheap :)

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why would an owner be pleased to have a foreigner as a tenant compared to a Dominican?

We are talking about cities here, not tourist areas.

They pay on time, usually in US$.
They normally leave the apartment in a better condition than they received it.
They leave when the lease expires and don't take months to evict.

This is what you use to leverage when negotiating.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Pay-Per-View is a little misleading, sorry. I mean, pay to view the info, not the apartment.

A "pay service" is a good idea, but it wouldn't be cheap. For someone to run around for you, look at apartments, handle the utilities etc etc, your looking at a minimum of US$1,000+ to handle that as a package.

Good people, that know what they are doing and do it right, don't come cheap :)

I would prefer to ride all over town looking at apartments. Once I find an apartment I like I sign the lease. Once the lease is signed I go back to the USA and return in a month or so. When I return I turn the key to open the door and my lights are on, telephone is working, and the cable is hooked up. I would glady pay a reasonable fee for this service.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I would prefer to ride all over town looking at apartments. Once I find an apartment I like I sign the lease. Once the lease is signed I go back to the USA and return in a month or so. When I return I turn the key to open the door and my lights are on, telephone is working, and the cable is hooked up. I would glady pay a reasonable fee for this service.

Once you find your apartment, getting the utilities setup isn't that tough, but does take some leg work...and time, and goes waaaay smoother if you speak Spanish. This may be a nice added service (for a fee of course) of the rental program.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

If only it was that easy....