Jeepeta robbery and police action in Sabaneta de Congrejo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We heard that a Jeepeta was stolen and the police apprehended, shot dead one of the perpetrators and injured another in Sabaneta de Congrejo near POP.

Can anyone confirm the story?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There was an incident with the police and some thieves posing as Moto Conchos yesterday in Sosua at 12 noon. This could be what you heard. Someone lost an eye.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you mean Junior Henriquez's jeep (he is a local reporter and the one liaising with the Icelandic papers over the killing of the Icelandic citizen a couple of weeks back), then yes, he with a colleague had his jeep, computer & camera stolen.
DELINCUENTES ROBAN CAMARA Y COMPUTADORA PERIODISTA JUNIOR HENRIQUEZ

The 3 perps were arrested, certainly beaten up but at the point this video was taken all 3 were alive. I haven't heard that any died subsequently. For anyone who has never witnessed an arrest the 6 minute video is quite.......educational.

YouTube - PN captura 3 asaltaron a comunicadores en Sos?a

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
an innocent bystander lost an eye and the doctors say he may lose sight in the other eye too. 3 thieves stole a jeep in Cabarete and the police caught them in Cangrejo, one of the thieves was a motochoncho from Sosua and the other 2 were from Santiago. it was on the news last night.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
If you mean Junior Henriquez's jeep (he is a local reporter and the one liaising with the Icelandic papers over the killing of the Icelandic citizen a couple of weeks back), then yes, he with a colleague had his jeep, computer & camera stolen.
DELINCUENTES ROBAN CAMARA Y COMPUTADORA PERIODISTA JUNIOR HENRIQUEZ

The 3 perps were arrested, certainly beaten up but at the point this video was taken all 3 were alive. I haven't heard that any died subsequently. For anyone who has never witnessed an arrest the 6 minute video is quite.......educational.

YouTube - PN captura 3 asaltaron a comunicadores en Sos?a

Wow Lambada, thanks for sharing the video, that's so serious...If the kids/Men knew...this is what would happen to them if cought ...why risk it?

No way....i would never want to get in trouble in DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Wow Lambada, thanks for sharing the video, that's so serious...If the kids/Men knew...this is what would happen to them if cought ...why risk it?

No way....i would never want to get in trouble in DR.

Probably this was a fairly mild arrest compared to some. Possibly influenced by overt camera presence? Not the guy in green though I agree :cheeky: Mr Gratuitous Pistol Whipper.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
What was the young girl saying towards the end of the video? she appeared to be upset because of the over use of violence towards the theifs?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
What was the young girl saying towards the end of the video? she appeared to be upset because of the over use of violence towards the theifs?

No, the reporters were bugging her to know who the ladrones are. She said the thieves live together beside her.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Probably this was a fairly mild arrest compared to some. Possibly influenced by overt camera presence? Not the guy in green though I agree :cheeky: Mr Gratuitous Pistol Whipper.

Yeah really. They are lucky the police got them first. From the you tube responses.....

si es un abuso, que no lo mataron o le dieron mas duro, ya quisiera ver que sea en tu casa que entren, y violen tus hijos o tu esposa o madre, para ver despues que piensas

lo lamentable fue k lo dejaron vivo!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Me thinks, montreal, that Lambada was suggesting the police were restrained in their actions due to the cameras.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fai9rly routine arrest, amen to the pistol whippping...nice "crunch" to it, however.

Who really cares what happens to them...sad that there are no crocs nearby...

HB

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I watched the video on the news last night and couldn't help but smile when these thieves got slapped around by the police. My car was stolen from the centre of Cabarete about 2 months ago and believe me, if I had caught them then would have received the same treatment from me....if you are going to commit a crime here then you suffer the consequences, and we all know how that goes here.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I barely perused the youtube video, but alot of the pistol whipping looked staged to me, that is not the way you hit somebody when you are trying to hurt them. It looked more to me like the way you hit somebody when you want observers to think that you are trying to hurt someone or feigning righteous indignation.

This is a small island with few secrets and thieves cant live long without cops helping them, I believe that is really the main reason so many are gunned down or beaten to death when caught, Half the time its because the cases can never go to trial - there is too much information that would become public.

The other half of the time the cops need to show that you have to pay rent to do business in their areas.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
What I find incredible in all of this, is the following:

With all the other **** that is happening up and down the country, a 'victim' decides to take the law in to his own hands and goes in hot pursuit of the robbers who stole a laptop in a smash and grab from his parked car.

The 'victim', starts a shoot out on the public highway, endangering many innocent people in the process and whose actions clearly led to a bystander getting shot in the face and loosing an eye (not saying that that it was the 'victim' bullet that hit the bystander, but for me, his actions caused this unfortunate injury).

The 'victim' being a well known local 'celeb' manages to call in the services of most of the police force and the airforce to help him recover his LAPTOP.

...Wow....if only we all had that hotline number.....

I keep a gun with me 24x7. Would I chase a smash and grab robber who stole my LAPTOP down the highway and start a public shoot-out? No

Kidnapped my daughter from the car? Yes

Is it me or has their been some loss of perspective on what happened yesterday and with the support of the 'victims' actions.

If we are all going to follow this course of action when someone steals a LAPTOP out of the car and condone the behaviour above, what does that say about US for approving this course of action. Before anyone starts...Yes, I know I live in a Latin American country and that what is acceptable is a bit different.

Could I have got away with starting a public shoot out. From others experiences of using a gun outside of their own home, I don't think so. Will the 'victim' get away with it? Probably.

I was in 2 minds about posting my views, but I can't help thinking about the poor bloke that lost his eye. An inch either way and he could have been dead. Over a LAPTOP!

What if, the innocent bystander was a DR1 member or an expat holidaymaker. Care to suggest headlines along the lines of 'irresponsible police action' or holiday maker caught in police shoot out. Great headlines for the world at large to knock a nail in the coffin of the DR tourism industry.

That aside and to sum up my views, Junior "The Enforcer' Henriquez's has no right to chase off down the highway, guns blazing, with complete disregard to endangering my families or your families life over a ****ing laptop...oh and camera.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What I find incredible in all of this, is the following:

That aside and to sum up my views, Junior "The Enforcer' Henriquez's has no right to chase off down the highway, guns blazing, with complete disregard to endangering my families or your families life over a ****ing laptop...oh and camera.

Did they not also steal the Jeepetta ??????? (That's what I read in these posts)

b5se1j.gif