Interjet Internet service from Viva

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Does anybody have any experience of Vivas' "Interjet" internet service?

Is it reliable & fast?

Can you connect more than one computer to it wirelessly?

Anything would be better than Codetel!

Thanks in advance :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Rubio,
how's it going there?
is that stuff working over here?
i still do not know anybody connected like that, but i am always interested in good and reliable fast internetconnections.
i use since a longer while wireless connecttions from BEC-Tel at the offices and at home in the PC area.
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
hey Rubio,
how's it going there?
is that stuff working over here?
i still do not know anybody connected like that, but i am always interested in good and reliable fast internetconnections.
i use since a longer while wireless connecttions from BEC-Tel at the offices and at home in the PC area.
Mike

It's OK. Neither very good nor bad... it's OK for business travel. If you are in good coverage arrea you can get 300-500 kbps consistent. I used it when travelling around the DR and as a backup in Higuey. I will most likely stop Viva Interjet service at the end of this month, as I no longer travel that much around the country and the new business venture will make me work quite hard here in Higuey. In my home office I have Codetel DSL 768/128 which I actually get 928 down and 160 up. As a backup I will get 258 kbps from the cable company now that we are actually business partners.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's completely o.k.
my Bectel connection brings always 350-400, that's enough for my own work on my website aso.
they offer much higher speeds, too, but for myself i don't need more.
here at home i have 2 PC's connected running the weather charts aso, so they keep the line busy 24/7, but no problem to work with my mostly used laptop connected to the same line to answer e-mails or load up fotos to the website aso at the same time. the service is very reliable, very few moments with the connection down, and if it goes down they are on it right away, just a phone call even over the weekend or on a holiday and they check what is going on and shortly afterwards i am back online. it is their service which i like most, i sorrily did not receive not nearly such services when i had my connections with codetel/claro, there we had times to wait for technicians to show up and start to check out what may be wrong of several days, not at home, at the office connections registered as business connections.
good luck with your new business
all the best to give it a blast
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
i sorrily did not receive not nearly such services when i had my connections with codetel/claro, there we had times to wait for technicians to show up and start to check out what may be wrong of several days, not at home, at the office connections registered as business connections.

Oh I know what you're talking about. I have been through that several times. Last time was when I had some speed issues, but it looks it was codetel-wise. A Codetel tech called me after 3 days, I gave him a different number to call because my battery was beeping, and I repeated the number slowly. Of course he did not call. Two days later I found a missed call on the cellphone while I was away and the message form this same codetel tech saying he was
calling me... then... nothing.

good luck with your new business
all the best to give it a blast

Thank you! When you're in Higuey let's meet for a cold one on a Boulevard.

P.S. Would you know whether this company Bechtel has service in Higuey as well?

So far here in Higuey, options we have

- Codetel DSL (using a fixed line w/ DSL modem)
- Claro Banda Ancha (using a USB or PCMCI wireless modem)
- Viva Interjet (using a USB wireless modem)
- Cable internet on Arcoiris (usinga cable modem)
- Orange Net (but this is not high-speed, I think it only goes to 144 kbps, using a cellphone or PCMCI wireless modem)

would be nice to have couple of more options...

track

Sep 6, 2008
Bec-Tel is using a DSL line from Codetel. They are not a real ISP. If you would like to test it go to.

Cual es mi IP
You will probably see if you see xxxxxx.codetel.net.do?
Again they are a joke!

Viva has a link to Puerto Rico, and it will show as in Puerto Rico and not DR.
OneMax is moving fast to the east coast, they have limited bandwidth, I hope they can get some some from Codetel.
Do not wait for Wind Telecom, they are not ready in Santo Domingo, Plus they are using Orange fiber Cable to Puerto Plata.
Orange is to slow.
Codetel has a new service, not advertise, HSDPA, will give up to 2Mbps download but the cell tower must be updated. Check to see if it's available in Higuey. They will limit the download, I think is 2 Gigs per month. The fee is about $1,900.00 pesos.

Feb 7, 2007
Bec-Tel is using a DSL line from Codetel. They are not a real ISP. If you would like to test it go to.

Cual es mi IP
You will probably see if you see xxxxxx.codetel.net.do?
Again they are a joke!

This only says they use Codetel as their underlying provider. When I had my telecom company back in the States, we were quite big (for a small biz) but our IP addresses showed as XO, for example. This really does not say much about the company and what they do - it only shows it uses Codetel as their underlying carrier.

I have also heard they are investing heavy in rural banda ancha development. I saw some info from Indotel. Usually jokes don't do that.

Viva has a link to Puerto Rico, and it will show as in Puerto Rico and not DR.

The IP addresses they use show up as DR. They don't actually use ARIN IP addresses. Even if the IP addressess showed as PR, it might be actually good to see US-viewing-limited content such as TV shows.

OneMax is moving fast to the east coast, they have limited bandwidth, I hope they can get some some from Codetel.

Isn't this the same thing Bec-Tel is doing?

Do not wait for Wind Telecom, they are not ready in Santo Domingo, Plus they are using Orange fiber Cable to Puerto Plata.
Orange is to slow.

How can a new fiber that was just installed at a cost of over US$ 30 million be slow? A fiber cannot be slow. A fiber even with the most basic equipment gives you lots of Gigs per sec. I suppose they didn't spend all that money to run a DS-3 to POP. I hardly doubt that the bandwidth would be less than OC-192/STM64x (PER FIBER). It's ATM/Sonet rings. How many fibers they actually put in the ground I don't know.
Maybe the service this company (Wind telecom) buys from Orange does not have sufficient bandwidth to service the client base they have (in other words they oversubscribe bandwidth too much). If they buy 10 megs and really need 20, they would be, obviously, slow.

Codetel has a new service, not advertise, HSDPA, will give up to 2Mbps download but the cell tower must be updated. Check to see if it's available in Higuey. They will limit the download, I think is 2 Gigs per month. The fee is about $1,900.00 pesos.

Check. It's actually not Codetel that has it, it's Claro (anyway, same company) but it's actually offered by the mobile division and not landline division. Check. It's available in Higuey. Check. It's advertised. It's actually advertised as Banda Ancha de Claro (Claro que tienes ms!). Check. They have unlimited plan (they had measured plans before, Viva forced them go unlimited). Check. price is about correct. RD$2,042 final with all taxes.

track

Sep 6, 2008
1) If you are a real Internet Service Provider you will need a minimum block of public IP's from Arin, "Minimum is 2048", static, public IP's. Bec-Tel filed with ARIN but they are not using it. It cost about $800.00 US to do this. Bec Tel is or was working with Centennial / Viva to get bandwidth. Why don't they use it? Cost, Technical capacity, or both?

2) Bec-Tel is using license free frequency, But they do have a block in the 3.5GHz that they rarely use ( I think they are trying to sell the block ). ( The block was originaly assign to them to provide rural telephony. They cheated the goverment and there for the Dominican People, they used Tricom cellular network to use in the Public Telephone. The smart people in Indotel should know this. To my understanding they are also thief of the Dominican People using the ignorance of low knowledge technical people in INDOTEL. ). Again they are a Joke or people with little or no Cash using license free equipment, taking advantage of the Dominican people.

3) OneMax is using 3.5GHz. Every Base Station has capacity of OC-3, most of the Backhauls are licensed, but they are also using License free 300Mbps backhaul. Wind-Telecom is trying to make things work in the 2.5GHz.

4) Again every one in the DR is using Arcos as the Internet Service provider, buying bandwidth in DR is expensive. It looks like OneMax has 45 Mbps total.

5) It's not Orange fiber ( They have capacity for 72 SMF, repeating in Bonao and Santiago, capacity could be of 720 Gbps ). You hit it!, they are not buying enough bandwidth.

6) You are correct, I should have said Claro or Better yet Nortel HSDPA network in DR.

OH, yes the infrastructure that the company you said is not a joke, Bec-Tel, looks nothing like the installations you see Claro, Codetel, Tricom, Orange, Viva, OneMax and Wind Telecom are using. Again Bec-Tel is not only a Joke, they are cheating the Dominican People.

Feb 7, 2007
You seem you know what you are talking about, so I will give you a point :)

But as far as Bec-Tel is concerned: After all what you said, they look like a small business trying to make it in the DR with not-that-much-of-a-capital (probably). Reminds me our starts in the States. So thumbs up to that kind of business. Remember, it's not what installations they have that matters, it's the intentions, goodwill, and spirit they have that really matter most.

track

Sep 6, 2008
You seem you know what you are talking about, so I will give you a point :)

But as far as Bec-Tel is concerned: After all what you said, they look like a small business trying to make it in the DR with not-that-much-of-a-capital (probably). Reminds me our starts in the States. So thumbs up to that kind of business. Remember, it's not what installations they have that matters, it's the intentions, goodwill, and spirit they have that really matter most.

With all due respect Mr. Rubio, I see no goodwill in the way this and other companies are created down in the DR to rip-off the Dominican People. In international terms, it's unbelievable a company with all the mistakes they have made, and others, get recognition from such fine institutions. INDOTEL needs to understand, when they create such atrocities, the reputations they receive falls to a very low and dark category. It's more unbelievable that Mr. Vargas is still working in INDOTEL! Who supervises this person?

I will end this subject here, it could get very ugly if I say more.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
This discussion has been very interesting & I seem to have opened a can of worms here lol

Now in laymans' terms please - Codetel are a heap of dogs' manure - how do I get reliable internet in Puerto Plata that I can share between 3 computers?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
With all due respect Mr. Rubio, I see no goodwill in the way this and other companies are created down in the DR to rip-off the Dominican People. In international terms, it's unbelievable a company with all the mistakes they have made, and others, get recognition from such fine institutions. INDOTEL needs to understand, when they create such atrocities, the reputations they receive falls to a very low and dark category. It's more unbelievable that Mr. Vargas is still working in INDOTEL! Who supervises this person?

I will end this subject here, it could get very ugly if I say more.

????
so end it without telling some facts.
where does a company, in your special case BecTel, steel something from the dominican people??
i have not the insider knowledge you wanna let us may believe you may have, but i am since 1 1/2 years a client of Bectel here in PC, i have a connection in my el cortecito office, and i had one up in Veron which i moved several months ago don to my private home in cabeza de toror, and i have to say i agree completely to Rubio's last statement, i appreciate the effords of that smaller company, they may not be $$$ packed like others, but what they deliver in my own private case(i speak just for my own experiences, not for others, i know them only by my own connection/services experiences) is top service, my connections are always up and running, and when i encounter any kind of problem (have to admit that such mostly comes out due to my own not-knowledge about the material) they are even on weekends assisting right on the phone and where needed even with their technician in my house within the hour, and they never charged me a peso or $ for that. and i have just the simple 384 connections of them, not the more expensive faster stuff which i would not need for my work/business.
i had claro/codetel connections linebased prior to that and i sure will not talk the whole 9 yards about their $#$#^ services i encountered with them throu to many years of clientness, or should i say throu painy years, it been by far not rare to wait for a week or more before even somebody showed up or at least returned a phone call after a problem been reported, even that connections been business connections, not private home connections, and their real uptime been a joke.
i do not get your point where you talk about "steeling from the dominican people", maybe some insider knowledge would be necessary to understand your words, but like most of us here on the bord are not the internet and telecommunications professionals with all te insider knowledge i would think it would not be that bad of an idea to bring all that above mentioned stuff in some words a simple client can understand.
til then,
my BecTel connection been up and running even during each bad weather condition we encountered this year, i am very satisfied with their personal and prompt and 100% working customers service.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Rubio,
you asked me in a prior post about availability of Bectel in higuey.
i had some beers with their locat technician Charly last night in cortecito and asked, they can not efford a tower like claro/codetel in higuey(so looks like you assumed right in case of the money power), they could use the one of our friend Rudi(the guy with the Kool radio staion in bavaro) up on La Harda, but would still be a huge investment for their pocket, so that is not out of the world but actually not available, that may be a future project to widen the coverage area over to otra banda and higuey.
right now, they are only over here in PC, Bavaro, Macao.
Mike

track

Sep 6, 2008
Mr. Fisher,

I understand the position you are in. My intentions are not to bring out bad things about any company, but Mr. Rubio pushed and asked. Like he asked I will always try to answer as best as possible.

The question you are asking is "where does a company, in your special case BecTel, steel something from the Dominican people??"

BecTel Received from the Dominican Government = Dominican People a contract to install ~1,750 rural telephone. For that the Dominican People = Government payed them US$6,436,512.00 Dollars. In the project, where you can see in INDOTEL, they asked for Licensed Frequency, that the government gave them to make the "Rural Telephony Network". They had a "plan" to make the network. Never happen, never will!
Please check Indotel, RESOLUCION NO. 098-04
Please check Indotel, RESOLUCION NO. 028-5

They never made the Network, they used TRICOM cellular service.
They are not maintaining the rural telephone, most don't work.

When you see a Bec Tel Rural telephone, what you are looking at is a fiberglass case with an antenna pole, antenna and inside you will probably find a cellular phone. For that the Dominican Government payed them about $4,000.00 dollars. In my bad judgment it could be done for less than $500.00 and have some change.

Because they made such a great job, the Dominican Government gave them an extension of the "network" and awarded them a new contract.

You don't have to be a Telecommunication expert to understand it. When you ask for "Caviar an Champagne" you should not be happy is you get "Chicken and Rum" and then order some more.

Again, the interesting part is, the ADSL Codetel connection they are using is the one that you are using, they are sharing it with you.

Feb 7, 2007
They never made the Network, they used TRICOM cellular service.

When you see a Bec Tel Rural telephone, what you are looking at is a fiberglass case with an antenna pole, antenna and inside you will probably find a cellular phone.

Personally, business-wise, I see nothing wrong with that setup. In telecommunications, there are very few "fiber'n'network" people and most of the stuff is actually sold and resold and resold over.

There was one BIIIG DSL operator in the States back in late 90's early 2000's - COVAD - who actually at that time did not own one single piece of equipment or network.

When you call to Spain from your Orange phone in the DR, for example, the connection is not physically done by Orange. They buy the minute from let's say Global Crossing who has its ring using Arcos fiber, who (GC) buys (the minute) from T-systems in 60 Hudson, NY who may in turn buy network services from BT and the physical termination is done by UNI2 in Spain terminating into Telefonica's network via Amena (mobile carrier, now Orange Espana).

track

Sep 6, 2008
Personally, business-wise, I see nothing wrong with that setup. In telecommunications, there are very few "fiber'n'network" people and most of the stuff is actually sold and resold and resold over.

Good, we now know how you conduct business in DR and what to expect from you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
come n Track,
what's this answer about now???
i did really not expect such, because Rubio brought up a usual example and asked about your alternative or where you may see something wrong/illegal about that??
i am not a person who is firm with that worldwide not even the island wide stuff in case of regulations aso, i am a user, i would say, a fu.. CLIENT, and actually i am with the service i use at this moment much more satisfied than with the prior used service you name above would be the same. it has sure not be the same treatment to me as the customer, so for me as the customer i am right now at this moment much, and very much, more satisfied with the service provided to me as a client than i've been before, and i talk as a simple customer about a huge difference in customers services and uptime data.
to the theme around buying and selling or owning or get subicidies of online times/rates per customer/system used to provide the service i have to tell you very clear:
i am a user,
i am not a pro on such connections,
i do not know the laws reliabe for companies working on that huge market,
but i ASSUME that i am a average user of such services within our crowd here on the DR1 bord,
and as a user of such i told ya in my posts above where i receive til today using it right now in this moment the promised service i pay for month by month and since a long time now, and like also mentioned above i know where i paid the big bucks and did not receive a fu.. of service.
you name a specific company providing that great service "thieves" of the dominican people?????
i can not discuss on such, because as a simple user/client i do not have knowledge about telecommunication rules and subcidies(sp??, sorry) or laws, i am a simple user/client.
if you think that a specific company/provider is steeling/doing something illegal, why you just open a big mouth here on a travel bord instead of complaining about such where such complains should be sheduled, on justice for example????

this big mouth talking about names and numbers which I do really not understand and will sure not even try to do so is a huge BS.
bring over some stufff approved and understandeable for users/clients of the services and bring that thieve to court/justice, or stop some non proofed just rumor making spreading around of non facts.
sorry buddy,
i do really not have any detailed/professional knowledge about that subject,
but as a simple client i see at this moment(and you can switch that fast and i would maybe even appologize) that you are throwing out some "palabres" suggesting to everybody that you know what you are talking about, and that is at this moment what I as a simple client do not believe in no way at this moment.
Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.