American Planning to Visit the DR

mochaamericana

Oct 10, 2008
So, I'm an American, and i'm considering studying at PUCMM next semester, but I'm not sure if I should because I'm brown skinned with full lips and shoulder length hair which I straighten with a relaxer. I heard a lot of people at PUCMM are very rude to darker skinned people and particularly Americans. Since I'm a girl, I'm concerned about my physical safety while I'm there. What do you guys think?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, I'm an American, and i'm considering studying at PUCMM next semester, but I'm not sure if I should because I'm brown skinned with full lips and shoulder length hair which I straighten with a relaxer. I heard a lot of people at PUCMM are very rude to darker skinned people and particularly Americans. Since I'm a girl, I'm concerned about my physical safety while I'm there. What do you guys think?

You just decribed a great deal of Dominican women (brown skin, full lips, and straightened hair). I'd be more worried about my command of Spanish.

Reactions: FernieBee

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people are rude about just about everything at some time or another-if you are looking for rudeness you will probably read it into a situation where it doesnt exist-am I making any sense here lol ?
dont let it put you off doing what you want to do - I never went to university because people were so rude to me at school-----I would probably be able to deal with them a bit better now 30 years later lol

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That is a rumor.
I am the same as you and there is no problem here (or at least not that I have encountered).
I also worried about my children in their private school and everyone has been so nice, I thought that they would have a hard time making friends due to their dark skin and it is the total opposite! I can't even use my phone because my 14 yo is on it none stop with the kids from her class.
And I have not yet seen any "black" kids at their school, they are the only ones (that I have seen...there MAY be some)
I did received some glances at the hair/nail salon where I go, but now they are used to me and I get the grand "SALUDOS!" when I enter just like anyone else. You won't hve a problem IMO....or at least not because of your color
SHALENA

Reactions: AK74

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, we have over 200 students from Haiti at the school, maybe more. No big deal.
We have Dominicans of every shade you can imagine....

Color here is not an issue. Your behavior, your couth, your attitude IS important. You will be attending classes with other kids fro the US as part of our International Students Programs...we get dozens every semester.

Maybe we'll meet around campus, I am kinda hard to miss...or you could take Judo classes...

Relax, you had best worry about your studies, cause the partying can get pretty heavy if you are not careful....

Oh yeah, your "family" will smother you with affection, too...you'll be amazed...

HB

Reactions: Lapurr

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You received glances of ENVY and ADMIRATION
, Shalena. And you know it too well!

They are going to kick us out of here soon if you keep this up!!!;););)
But I must say, it does make a girl feel nice to be complimented!
Thank You,
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
do darker people ever get attacked there just because they are dark?

Honey, you're paranoid. If you are THAT worried maybe you should stay home.
You are not going to have a good time if you are always looking behind your back wondering if you are going to be beaten or killed or ridiculed.
SHALENA

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Honey, you're paranoid. If you are THAT worried maybe you should stay home.
You are not going to have a good time if you are always looking behind your back wondering if you are going to be beaten or killed or ridiculed.
SHALENA

No, I cannot agree with you here, Shalena!

Some CAN be attacked (with thosands of flowers and love letters). By secret admirers. Who are desperate and rejected by a beautiful princess.

Reactions: Bronxboy

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
They are going to kick us out of here soon if you keep this up!!!;););)
But I must say, it does make a girl feel nice to be complimented!
Thank You,
SHALENA

You mean I'm competing with AK74 for your affection?

Ick.

Me against AK74 is like putting...well...

A Rolls against a Renault
A rose against a radish
Poetry against putrescence
A sonnet against a slug
A rhapsody (in D-(Rob)) against a rap sheet
An aria against...well, an AK

I speak of the sunshine in your sonrisa bella. He talks about sewage in Sosua Bay.

To be pursued by me is to be swept off your feet by a man used to character.

To be pursued by him is to be stalked by a used car salesman.

Nothing personal, AK. Bring your best game, cuz what (yawn) I've seen thus far isssss.....zzzzzzz.

Heh. :smoke:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
do darker people ever get attacked there just because they are dark?

Sweetheart, you're going to see more dark people there in the DR than here in the STATE, We Dominican don't care what color you are, we just care about how much money you have.

Don't worry, you're going to be a popular girl, just because you are an American ;).