English vs. Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Although these two languages have different linguistic origins they still have much in common and are important world languages. Many English words are of Latin origin or are foreign borrowed words. I often hear how difficult Spanish is for many people however, I think English is not easy to learn either. Many posters and readers of DR1 speak one of the two or both however, the majority are English speakers and many are challenged to learn Spanish although they are living in the DR or in Spanish-speaking communities abroad.

What are the challenges of each language? What makes English a difficult second language to learn and what makes Spanish a difficult second language to learn? or what are the easy aspects about each language?

You can use other languages as a comparison in your responses as long as you don't stray from the main theme. In other words please stay on topic. (Thanks in advance).

-LDG.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
What's up with the 2 past tenses...and most Dominicans can't tell you why you use one or the other, they just know when to use it! That's sooooo hard to grasp, I am still working on that!
SHALENA

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
English verbs are easier. All the same bar 3rd person singular in the present tense, all the same in the preterite,the imperfect the future, all bar 3rd person singular in the perfect, the pluperfect. Spanish - all different!!!! But Englsih pronouncitation is much more difficult!

Matilda

Aug 25, 2008
I was raised in New York by Dominican parents, and I totally spoke like a 'gringa' till I moved to the D.R. Now I'm very much bilingual, but I think there's always one basic language you use mentally, or "think" in. (for me it's English) I love my Spanish, and I've noticed I use it more when I have to more expressive about feelings especially, or dramatic! Also, I studied my career and work in Spanish, so technical terms are easier in that language. But I find English is a much richer language - it definitely has more words (I remember reading once that the total amount of words in the English language is like triple in Spanish or more). This means that a variety of English words translate to the same word in Spanish- which is why I can't stand reading originally English books in Spanish - you lose nuances of meaning. To learn, though, definitely English is harder - there are so many exceptions to pronunciations, Spanish is much much more literal. And both languages do share a lot - I find the longer the word, the more probable that the English equivalent is similar.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Responding-

What's up with the 2 past tenses...and most Dominicans can't tell you why you use one or the other, they just know when to use it! That's sooooo hard to grasp, I am still working on that!
SHALENA

You are correct the two simple past tense verb forms, the preterit and the imperfect pose difficulty in terms of knowing when to use one or the other. However, there are grammar rules that clarify the differences. I don?t know your academic background however, if you study Spanish grammar well, many of the typical grammar difficulties will be clarified. As well, I will say it again, and I have lost count now, you have to read in Spanish. Improvement will not happen without reading which is an integral component of learning a language. My feeling is you are probably being corrected when you use fue and era. Dominicans or Spanish speakers in general will not be able to explain to you why because most people have little to no grammatical command of the language they speak.

English verbs are easier. All the same bar 3rd person singular in the present tense, all the same in the preterite,the imperfect the future, all bar 3rd person singular in the perfect, the pluperfect. Spanish - all different!!!! But Englsih pronouncitation is much more difficult!
Matilda

Regarding the verbs good point and I am sure many will agree. English pronunciation is a language leaner?s worse nightmare. Unfortunately, knowing the alphabet and phonetic sound of each letter does not help because English is not a phonetic based language whereas Spanish is 100%. The /h/ is silent but written and the rest of the pronunciation is all phonetic based.

... But I find English is a much richer language - it definitely has more words (I remember reading once that the total amount of words in the English language is like triple in Spanish or more). This means that a variety of English words translate to the same word in Spanish- which is why I can't stand reading originally English books in Spanish - you lose nuances of meaning. To learn, though, definitely English is harder - there are so many exceptions to pronunciations, Spanish is much much more literal. And both languages do share a lot - I find the longer the word, the more probable that the English equivalent is similar.

There is no right or wrong answer here and your comment is very interesting. IMO, if a person is truly bilingual there is no base language per se. I think there are situations where one is preferred over the other but I think there can be a true linguistic balance. In my opinion, the situation sometimes calls for the dominance of one over the other. As well, listen to yourself think in certain scenarios then you will understand what I mean. I do this all the time; I observe what language I am thinking in and when.

You are the second person on the board to comment about the richness of English over Spanish, honestly I have not read anything about the subject matter but I am not surprised though. However, I think Spanish has an incomparable richness that English does not due to the syntax flexibility of the language. English can be very stiff even when the intent is supposed to be more of a poetic nature. I have never read translated literature Spanish to English so I can?t comment on that but I have read good translated literature English to Spanish. For a long time I thought it was very difficult to find good translated literature but I realize now it?s the publishing house essentially that plays a pivotal role in the quality of the translation. I have enjoyed some good translated literature lately.

Regarding grammar, I think each language comes with its fair share of headaches. IMO, out of the romance languages Spanish and French are so grammar rich that you really can?t speak well with a basic command only. English grammar is solid and unfortunately many native speakers IMO don?t have a good command of the language. Starting with verb conjugation right through. Why do some Brits say 'when you was young' but yet critique English spoken in other countries? There are many examples such as these that are unjustifiable and what does it say about English from the mother country?

-LDG.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I like how the vowels are only pronounced one way in Spanish. It was much easier to pronounce Spanish words once I realized this.

Vince.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I was raised in New York by Dominican parents, and I totally spoke like a 'gringa' till I moved to the D.R. Now I'm very much bilingual, but I think there's always one basic language you use mentally, or "think" in. (for me it's English) I love my Spanish, and I've noticed I use it more when I have to more expressive about feelings especially, or dramatic! Also, I studied my career and work in Spanish, so technical terms are easier in that language. But I find English is a much richer language - it definitely has more words (I remember reading once that the total amount of words in the English language is like triple in Spanish or more). This means that a variety of English words translate to the same word in Spanish- which is why I can't stand reading originally English books in Spanish - you lose nuances of meaning. To learn, though, definitely English is harder - there are so many exceptions to pronunciations, Spanish is much much more literal. And both languages do share a lot - I find the longer the word, the more probable that the English equivalent is similar.

Estrella, i don't know where did you get that English has more words and is a riches language than Spanish!!!!

In Spanish, there are 5 to 7 words to just one objent, you should read more Spanish Novels, i'll bet you will have to use the Dictionary in every 2 sentence that you read.

The same way Spanish is more rich in Grammer than English, it's riches in words too.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Although these two languages have different linguistic origins they still have much in common and are important world languages. Many English words are of Latin origin or are foreign borrowed words. I often hear how difficult Spanish is for many people however, I think English is not easy to learn either. Many posters and readers of DR1 speak one of the two or both however, the majority are English speakers and many are challenged to learn Spanish although they are living in the DR or in Spanish-speaking communities abroad.

What are the challenges of each language? What makes English a difficult second language to learn and what makes Spanish a difficult second language to learn? or what are the easy aspects about each language?

You can use other languages as a comparison in your responses as long as you don't stray from the main theme. In other words please stay on topic. (Thanks in advance).

-LDG.

For me Spanish is easier to read and write. If i see a word in Spanish that i have never seen before, i can read it without a problem correctly.

English the Grammar is easier than Spanish to learn, if Spanish wouldn't be my Native language, i don't think i would ever learn it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You are correct the two simple past tense verb forms, the preterit and the imperfect pose difficulty in terms of knowing when to use one or the other. However, there are grammar rules that clarify the differences. I don?t know your academic background however, if you study Spanish grammar well, many of the typical grammar difficulties will be clarified. As well, I will say it again, and I have lost count now, you have to read in Spanish. Improvement will not happen without reading which is an integral component of learning a language. My feeling is you are probably being corrected when you use fue and era. Dominicans or Spanish speakers in general will not be able to explain to you why because most people have little to no grammatical command of the language they speak.

-LDG.
Thanks so much, I am buying Children's books to read (5th-7th grade level) just haven't gotten around to actually reading them. Usually the only reason I get the past tense form correct is from hearing a spanish speaker say the sentence first.
Whe I KNOW what to say, I am usually mistaken for a Dominicana, that is only because I am VERY good at imitation!!!
SHALENA

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Responding-

I like how the vowels are only pronounced one way in Spanish. It was much easier to pronounce Spanish words once I realized this. Vince.

You are absolutely correct about the vowels and the pronunciation. In essence you can?t go wrong once you understand the phonetics of the language which also includes diphthongs etc. as well as the rules of accentuation. They all go hand in hand. An excellent review from time to time is to read the first few pages of a Spanish dictionary, these rules are covered in full.

Estrella, i don't know where did you get that English has more words and is a riches language than Spanish!!!! ......

You have not defended your point of view at all. As I stated in my post above there is no right or wrong in this discussion about the richness of either language. There may be some good information on the subject however, one?s own experience should also be considered when assessing the richness of English vs. Spanish with solid back up to support one?s opinion. I think if one were to seriously debate this, many points can be brought to the table. In a quick comparison I would argue the following:

? Vocabulary- IMO, English and Spanish have rich vocabulary and one of the prime ways to discover this is via literature. Sometimes when I look up a word in the dictionary I also look up the synonyms. This also gives me an idea of the richness of a language. Spanish always has a handful of synonyms but you can?t use all the words with the same meaning whereas English just seems to have a wealth of equivalent words.

A simple example is the verb to talk. Compare the options that a thesaurus offers in English and Spanish. The English synonyms are too numerous to list, the most common Spanish synonyms are: opinar, gritar, cascar, pronunciar, musitar, murmurar, discutir, comentar, afirmar, orar, enunciar, charlar, criticar, recitar, decir, balbucir, conversar, exclamar, dialogar, discursear, proferir, declamar, departir, disertar, platicar, susurrar, cuchichear

-not all can be used to mean hablar although these words appear as synonyms in the dictionary.

?Grammar- IMO, Spanish wins hands down for richness. Originating from Latin, which has a rich vocabulary; it?s truly a miracle that not much has been lost considering how long ago the language has evolved. As well, from the family of romance languages hats off to French too both languages have extremely rich grammar.

English grammar is just downright difficult and it?s not studied enough in the classroom. Verb conjugation although much simpler than Spanish still poses difficulty in the past tense and many past participles are irregular. I and me are often used incorrectly and many don?t recognize it. For example, me and John went to the store is incorrect. It should be John and I went to the store. The easiest way to decipher the correct form is to break up the sentence. John went to the store and I went to the store (John and I went to the store). Prepositions as well pose difficulty for those who are learning. I always hear incorrect usage of in, on, of, for, at etc.

?Literature- IMO, both languages have rich literature you just have to know what genre and era of authors to buy. I prefer Spanish literature and I don?t read in English at all. It?s a preference. I have renewed my interest to read in French over the summer. To get a good selection of novels I select from university course work and have discovered interesting French literature by authors from Quebec, Haiti, Morocco and France. It?s all about preference.

Thanks so much, I am buying Children's books to read (5th-7th grade level) just haven't gotten around to actually reading them. Usually the only reason I get the past tense form correct is from hearing a spanish speaker say the sentence first.
Whe I KNOW what to say, I am usually mistaken for a Dominicana, that is only because I am VERY good at imitation!!! SHALENA

It?s good to hear that you purchased some books to begin reading. As I stated it?s an important and fundamental part of the learning process. Unfortunately, many try to side step it and it?s obvious as their comprehension, fluency, grammar and spelling are weak as a result. Reading at your level is the key to success and then gradually increasing your level of difficulty. Imitating speakers is good but only at a certain level. As you can see, when you have to decipher between the two past tenses on your own, you get stuck. Study the rules of grammar. Take ownership of your own growth in the language.

Here is an excerpt of a book from an online reading website that offers beginner, intermediate and advance level reading. It?s good to test yourself to determine your reading level. This excerpt is from the beginners section.

Lejos de casa

-CVC. Lecturas paso a paso

Todo empez? el mi?rcoles 12 de mayo. Tres d?as antes de San Isidro, la fiesta mayor de Madrid. Una fiesta que dura una semana y media, m?s o menos, con baile y espect?culos todas las noches. Miles de madrile?os est?n por la calle hasta muy tarde, y hay gente y ruido por todas partes pero especialmente en el centro. Y yo vivo en el centro. Adem?s, a m?, las fiestas populares no me gustan. Por eso, ese a?o hab?a decidido irme unos d?as de vacaciones. Ese mi?rcoles 12 de mayo, estaba a punto de irme. Pensaba pasar toda la semana en Menorca. En mayo es una buena ?poca: pocos turistas y, seguramente, bastante buen tiempo. Quer?a tomar el sol y no hacer nada en absoluto. S?lo descansar. Descansar y leer un par de buenas novelas. Pero no pudo ser. En la agencia de detectives no tenemos mucho trabajo normalmente. Pero, siempre que quiero irme de vacaciones, las cosas se complican. Ese mi?rcoles 12 de mayo, un d?a antes de irme a Menorca, son? el tel?fono.

-LDG.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
There would be a very small per centage of people that would say "John and I went to the store" even if it is correct-a more likely phrase would be "I went to the store with John" (They must have given up teaching that rule in schools by now)
Using the I is seen by many as being a bit pretentious like using One - very few people use the Queens English

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
english:
difficult things:
prepositions :tired:
articles - still beyond me.
grammar concept with more than 3 tenses - seemed all wrong (we only have 3 in polish)
all the rest is easy, now i actually prefer to read in english than in polish...
spanish:
i had latin at school for years and that helps a bit but i cannot learn - there are no teachers!
what pains me is that dominicans have such poor understanding of their own language, how the heck do spanish classes look like? miesposo finished PUCIMM yet when i ask him questions in regards to grammar he does not know. he can, obviously speak and write but has no real KNOWLEDGE.
same, i have to say, goes for native english speakers. when i was taking CPE exam i passed some things from writing part to my english friends - none of them did well!
in poland classes in polish start when students are about 8 (school starts at the age of 6), we have grammar, syntax, all that jazz. when learning new language we base on grammar concepts as well, i guess it is not very popular in england or DR, is it?
so, all teachers i had so far start from stupid gringo talk, i want to learn proper grammar and they have no clue how to explain the rules, even thou they can speak... sad...

what is often beyond english speakers in spanish is "r". in english this sound in soft, in spanish - hard. i have no problem with either (polish "r" is also hard, btw).

as far as dominicans speaking english:
major difficulty is irregular plural form, 100% of dominicans i know regardless of their education level say: womans, mans, childrens (or childs). they also all say "drink the pill". they also often have a problem with his/her and with gender in general: uncle/aunt, brother/sister. very strange, that.

in case there is someone out there trying to learn polish/russian - sounds are a big killer, try to read that at home: GRZEGORZ BRZECZYSZCZYKIEWICZ. :bunny:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Grammar review-

I just had to respond after reading post #13 by dv8 as there are plenty of key grammatical issues addressed regarding both Spanish and English. Once again it just emphasizes the challenges that speakers face- first, second and third language alike. English has plenty of grammatical idiosyncrasies that really come to the forefront when listening to second language speakers learn the language. Those irregular plurals you mentioned are also errors made by native English speakers too. I have heard mices ? which is a huge faux pas.

However, I must say it again, if you have challenges in any language you speak or are learning to speak take ownership of your own progress and never feel that you don?t need to study the grammar of your own language or languages for bilingual speakers. Many times that?s where the core problem is and it just makes learning another language much more difficult. I have a variety of grammar books in Spanish, French and English because it never hurts to brush up. Over the summer I wanted to find a modern and practical English grammar book for my own personal use and I found one that I would like to recommend to people here if you want to study English grammar and clear up some doubts.

Practical English Usage by Michael Swan
Third Edition, Fully Revised
ISBN: 0194420981
Amazon.com: Practical English Usage: Michael Swan: Books

-LDG.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
English grammar is not so hard if you take time to learn grammar per se. Native speakers rarely do however and for that reason they make all sorts of unnecessary errors. The old "you and I" is a phrase that gives English speakers particular trouble. They seem to think that the use of the conjunction "and" demands that the two subjects be in the nominative form but that is incorrect. Hence, English speakers often say, "between you and I" which is grammatically incorrect. The pronouns are objects of a preposition and therefore should be rendered in the accusative form: Between you and me. Always. No exceptions. Whoever and whomever likewise give speakers trouble, though the rule is simple enough. One is subjective (nominative) and the other objective (accusative). The problem arises when one uses a complex sentence, one with a dependent clause. Such as, "I will give a reward to whoever finds my lost puppie." Correct or incorrect? It would seem that "whomever should follow the preposition "to" since everything that follows is an indirect object of the verb "reward". But not so. Whoever is the subject of the dependent clause that forms the object as a whole of the verb (give) in the main clause, and therefore it must be in the nominative case. Try it out: you cannot say "whomever finds"; you can say only "whoever finds." People who study Latin or German learn these grammatical distinctions eventually, but graduates of American schools for the past thirty years or so have been learning English phonetically and thus are completely unaware of the grammatical rules.

Spanish grammar can be tough. For a long time I wrestled with the distinction between the imperfect and the preterit. Also, use of the subjunctive is probably the most complex and sophisticated of all the Romance languages, so you have to take time to memorize the rules but also learn the various instances in which use of the subjunctive is "elective" and thus open to a bit of interpretation. I happen to love the fact that the subjunctive is so alive and pervasive in Spanish because it lends itself to subtle distinctions in meaning and it is very elegant when used properly.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Great macocael-

As usual macocael it's a delight to read your posts in this forum.

As discussed in previous threads verb usage in Spanish poses difficulty and a classic example is the preterit vs. the imperfect tense. However, the grammar rules clearly explain the usage of one or the other and in some cases both can be used with a different nuance. Certain verbs specifically pose difficulty in either tense and knowing when to use one or the other. Once again reading, listening to speakers and understanding the grammar is the key to mastering how to decipher usage. I really believe newspaper reading is good for understanding the usage of these two tenses because journalists report on current and past events- tres personas fueron detenidas ayer por la tarde ... Regional usage plays a role also and has to be considered when one hears differences. I think the present perfect tense in Spanish confuses people as well since it?s much more common in Spain than in Latin America- has comido/ comiste, has ido/ fuiste. This may be an influence of the other Romance language giant, French because it's a compound tense.

The subjunctive is classic. I think it?s amazing how Spanish has retained it and it?s not going away anytime soon. Usage by native speakers and good bilingual speakers is very high. When I don?t hear the subjunctive when it should be used it?s usually by second language speakers who can speak and hold a conversation but lack full grammar control. As I mentioned before, it?s vital in Spanish and IMO, one can?t truly speak well without it. In general, those who struggle to understand the subjunctive have some grammar problems in English and as a result the subjunctive is just a foreign concept.

Regarding English, IMO the grammar of the language is challenging, not studied enough and since it?s a lingua franca, it?s spoken incorrectly by many but the idea is to communicate which is part of the reason why there has been a change in the spoken language over a long period of time. I can fully relate to your analysis of the accusative, dative, ablative and genitive cases. I studied these grammar points thoroughly in Latin many years ago. As well, in my years of studying German it?s imperative to understand these grammatical aspects of these respective languages. It?s just another strong point about the importance of understanding grammar. Unfortunately, most people think there?s an easy way to speaking well and IMO, without the grammar component there will always be a gap.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Summary-

I thought it would be beneficial to summarize the key areas or difficulties mentioned in each language:

English

√ verbs- in the past tense
√ phonetics & pronunciation- some words are spelt the same, pronounced differently thus changing the meaning
√ pronouns- subject, direct object, indirect object etc.
√ the plural form of irregular nouns

Spanish

√ the subjunctive (which is a mood not a tense as mentioned in another thread)
√ verbs- all conjugations, certain tenses- the imperfect and the preterit tense
√ pronunciation- Spanish is very phonetic therefore it?s easier than English.
√ the articles- learning el , la , los , las- It?s recommended to study the noun with its corresponding article. Instead of just studying 'libro' study 'el libro', la casa, la mesa etc.
√ Prepositions- en, de, por, para , a, etc.

The summary indicates that Spanish is more difficult than English in theory but in essence I think both languages are difficult to learn. As well, what has not been mentioned are fixed expressions. In a language regardless whether it?s Spanish, English, French, Italian, German etc. word for word translations from one language to another usually have no meaning at all in the target language. Fixed expressions should not be mixed up with idioms. Examples of fixed expressions are tener sed, tener hambre, tener calor which are expressed with the verb 'to be' in English. A word for word translation from English to Spanish would be incorrect. Tengo sed = I am thirsty

Although many suggest watching television which is good to increase one?s ability to hear the language and comprehend simultaneously, an important aspect is to practice writing the language. It forces one to apply grammatical knowledge, acquire and diversify one?s vocabulary and it gives a person an immediate awareness of mistakes made. To learn a language strictly via interaction with speakers is difficult without a solid base. My suggestion is to write a paragraph a day about any topic to practice writing and formation of sentences. Let someone who is knowledgeable about grammar correct the paragraph so s/he can explain the corrections from a grammatical point of view. It can be just a simple paragraph per day. Hoy fui al centro con mi hermana. Compramos .... and keep going.

Describe your daily activities in Spanish or English in writing and have someone correct the paragraph. Overtime the improvement will be noticeable.

--LDG.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I believe that it is easier for a native english speaker to learn spanish than vice versa or indeed most other european languages. English usually has three words for everything
1) Old English, teutonic or low german. eg numbers except second and million.
2) Latin ,Julius Cesar 55 BC. eg carnal,candle.
3) Norman french 1066 and all that.eg chance,charity.
Purists might say that there is a fourth to wit Celtic but I really don?t know enough to say.
I know that Spain was invaded at least twice as England was but although I know that the Arab invasion introduced many words now in common usage eg Naraja, mantequilla of arab origin I do not know what happened to the original language before the romans came.
In english we are (perhaps) fortunate insomuch as we have preserved many pre - roman, pre - Norman speech patterns and vocabulary as well as absorbing, assimilating or adapting later words. I?m sure that any native speaker of english can understand both the following sentences as well as realising their differences.
Speed fiends spread fear among good townsmen.
Ace motorists terrorise honest citizens.
There you are then , my tuppence worth. ( or two penneth , if you prefer!)

dwilhelm

Apr 27, 2008
My challenge is with the cadence of the Spanish language. This is obviously in the speaking and listening portion of the language. The English language pronounciation rules are very hard for me to ignore. I spend a lot of time watching Spanish language TV to "train" my ear and brain.

believer

Oct 12, 2005
Spanish is a sinch if you already speak French....lucky me. Words I have never seen in spanish make sense to my bilingual mind and I can tell you what they mean. For me it is just a matter of adding vocabulary as the gramatical structure oF spanish is the same as French.........but WORLDS away from English.

I love Spanish the most, simple, straightfoward unlike French that uses umpteen vowels likely designed to keep the English out!

Status
Not open for further replies.