What's up with the fresh garlic?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I purchased a sleeve of frsh garlic two weeks ago and most of the bulbs have lost all density and or are turning black with some sort of fungus.

Fresh garlic bulbs are not to be refridgerated but stored in a cool and dry temperature which I provide.

I bought a fresh schoolie, (Dorado, Mahi Mahi, Dolphin) and was ready to prepare this Blackened aka Paul Prodohmmes recipe for blackened Redfish....you can't buy the blend here, but I know the ingredients.

I never see this on any of the menus here........should try it some time!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks,

The info here says you need to store the garlic or onions below 55 degrees which means they must be refriderated.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't know if the relates directly to the OP's garlic issue (which I have witnessed too at times), but one thing we seem to have gotten so used to when coming from "developed" countries is the lack of seasonality in so many "fresh" goods. Many things are being produced year round with the help of technology, and/or imported from around the globe. Not quite always the same story here. Things like onions are being produced once a year in the country... then stored in a difficult climate environment or imported at high prices... the choice then boils down to the buyer and the super markets.
So, seasonally we get nice or accpetable produce, onions, citrics and other foods, and sometimes we only get it at a multiple of it's normal price no mater if it is nice of bad and then again, nothing at all.

... J-D.