Revisit of Laptops in the DR

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Looking for recomendations for a good laptop to be used in the SD area. Realize it is best to purchase in US; but what would be the best set up with wireless etc.-- cheapest too. It will probably be ripped of in the first 5- 180 days.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I am also purchasing a laptop to bring to the DR. Any suggestions as to makes that are more secure than others. ie: less fragile to travel, secure wifi, should I get one with satelite wifi?, etc. I'm a newbie at purchasing this type of item. Need any and all info please.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
$600 for a decent laptop

Most all pc manufactures have laptops in the $600 price range. Intel duo core, 250 GB hard drive +/-, 2 or 3 GB ram, web cam, CD/DVD, WiFi. If you are not into heavy gaming or editing and producing a lot of videos a pc in this price range should be more than enough. About a year ago I purchased an Acer for $599 USD just to travel with. At this price if it gets lost, stolen, or misplaced I am not at a big loss. So far, I have no complaints.

One of the biggest concerns would be if you get stuck with a pc that needs repair under warranty. That would mean shipping it back to the repair center (probably in the USA).

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I've had NEC another NEC, HP, Dell another Dell and a Toshiba. My experience they all break at some stage. The only Windows version that was really working was Windows 2000 so when my Toshiba give up I'm buying a Mac and when I need a new desktop I'm buying an iMac.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
If you are worried about service buy a Dell from the DR Dell site, it will cost you a bit more but they will repair it on site free of charge. I have several dell laptops and they always send a technician to your house/office to fix the comp in a few minutes, it's a great service, in the last three years they fix me a faulty webcam, a defective battery and optical drive. In a desktop I bought last year the installation Vista Basic dvd was in english and the system in spanish, they sent me a free of charge retail Vista Premium dvd in spanish to correct the situation.

http://www1.la.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=do&cs=dodhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
DELL is overpriced garbage!

I would AVOID buying a dell laptop, I have had 2 Dell Inspiron machines die on me over the years. I really like The Toshiba Satellite, you can find them starting @ $650 with many bells and whistle's at legitimate retailers with warranty included.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
I would AVOID buying a dell laptop, I have had 2 Dell Inspiron machines die on me over the years. I really like The Toshiba Satellite, you can find them starting @ $650 with many bells and whistle's at legitimate retailers with warranty included.

This is not my case, actually, I have a C400 from 2002 wich is still working perfectly every day in my wife office. But, this i just my experiece, it doesn't mean they are perfect...

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Acer sounds like a good deal. What are your thoughts on a Compaq Presario?

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Compaqs receive poor ratings in the tech community. In the refurb market, you'll find tons of them.

Good to know. Thank you. I am in the process of buying one to bring to the DR and need as much info as possible.

Who can tell me about Satellite Laptops? WIFI ?

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
Acer

I have been using laptops even before windows 95, monochrome...mostly Compaq [now made by HP I beleive], Dont buy them.

Now I have been using ACER for the last 3 years, no complaint.., price can't be better. I suggest using external usb or wireless/bluetooth mouse.

For windows vista make sure service pack1 is installed, you may have to download it. [long installation]

All laptops come with wI-fi now.

Make sure it comes with bluetooth also, to link to mobile phone and many other devices. Or you can later buy an external usb/bluetooth [cheap] but some are hard to setup.

Satellite internet is just a service you get from x company, not needed.. and is not mobile, an antenna similar to direct-tv is required. Slow and expensive.

For wireless anywhere talk to the local phone company, I am 'almost' sure they provide the servicein DR,

It is just like mobile phone service, a device you plug [usb device is better choice than a card] to your laptop and go.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Now I have been using ACER for the last 3 years, no complaint.., price can't be better.

While I was reading this I got an email from newegg.com, ACER laptop for $499.00.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm sending this FYI, so you can check it out if you like.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Thanks to everyone for your info. Laptop has been purchased. I'm ready to go. The condo of my choice in PP has WIFI in each apt so I'm good to go.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
i have a macbook i love it got it at macmall.com
have a dell with vista had to get a new printer that would work with vista
and i have a dell laptop going to the kids
and running a netgear router N wifi for my xbox 360 and one macbook one laptop dell
very fast router

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Humidity & Co.

I've had two hard drives die in an 18 months period here. Now, the HD on my 1 year old Gateway laptop stopped working suddenly... complete data loss, too many bad sectors!
The German technician in Sosua told me a reason for all this which kind'a makes sense:
Lap Top Computers are being switched on and off, run fairly hot and cool down when turned off. Many laptop's venting systems shuts off at shut down. The result may be condensation paired with the salinity of the Coast's air.
So, back up yer data folks... and not just on ONE disk.

... J-D.