Condo projects delayed in Cabarete?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm beginning to hear of construction projects around Cabarete being put on hold. I won't mention names of the developments as it's for now 2nd hand (but pretty reliable) information.

If true, it's likely a smart move for the developers with the current world financial situation. Also, if true, it would seem to help (but not by any means guarantee) to maintain existing property values by not further saturating the market with unsold units.

Anyone have first hand knowledge? Maybe DR1 Real Estate can update with accurate info on how the market is looking currently?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I'm beginning to hear of construction projects around Cabarete being put on hold. I won't mention names of the developments as it's for now 2nd hand (but pretty reliable) information.

If true, it's likely a smart move for the developers with the current world financial situation. Also, if true, it would seem to help (but not by any means guarantee) to maintain existing property values by not further saturating the market with unsold units.

Anyone have first hand knowledge? Maybe DR1 Real Estate can update with accurate info on how the market is looking currently?

Interesting question. In that same vein I've heard that the condo/hotel planned for Cabrera - Cristal Beach Resort - is continuing their development plans. Maybe their money didn't come from a hedge fund <ha>. But at least the continuance of development is a good sign for the area!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I think you will find that they are waiting on what happens about building 4 floors and if a "real" urban planning study will be performed. Plus I'm sure the current financial situation hasn't helped some of them.

Cabarete has a few developments that are more than 3 floors and these are technically illegal. Lots of debate going on right now about this, especially amongst those people that are having trouble getting titles as they brought a 4th floor condo.

Lets see...

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I think you will find that they are waiting on what happens about building 4 floors and if a "real" urban planning study will be performed. Plus I'm sure the current financial situation hasn't helped some of them.

Cabarete has a few developments that are more than 3 floors and these are technically illegal. Lots of debate going on right now about this, especially amongst those people that are having trouble getting titles as they brought a 4th floor condo.

Lets see...

Robert, does the same requirement/limit (no more than three floors) apply to constructions in Sosua?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Thanks, Robert. That's one reason I've not heard given, but it certainly could play a part.
I'll pm you with some add'l details of what I've heard - still prefer to keep it off the public board until someone with first hand knowledge reports.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, does the same requirement/limit (no more than three floors) apply to constructions in Sosua?

I have no idea.

Rampant development will ultimately kill the reason Cabarete started in the first place, great wind. The wind is already being pushed offshore and patterns changing due to large developments. Eventually it will loose it's heart and become just an over developed beach strip, unless something is done, and soon.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I have no idea.

Rampant development will ultimately kill the reason Cabarete started in the first place, great wind. The wind is already being pushed offshore and patterns changing due to large developments. Eventually it will loose it's heart and become just an over developed beach strip, unless something is done, and soon.

What about a law that a building cannot be higher than the highest palm tree or something like this? Rumours? Or real law?

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
CFA, if you need a copy of a specific projects official statement, let me know and I will PM it to you.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
11 meter rule

What about a law that a building cannot be higher than the highest palm tree or something like this? Rumours? Or real law?

That is precisely the rule that could affect titles. The rule establishes 11 meters, or three floors. It dates back to the original zoning and planning of Puerto Plata.

My initial research shows this is Law 256-75 (published 30 October 1975). Decree No. 1432 of 6 November 1975 carries the ruling for this law.

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
That is precisely the rule that could affect titles. The rule establishes 11 meters, or three floors. It dates back to the original zoning and planning of Puerto Plata.

Thank you, Dolores!

Good for Puerto Plata /Sosua/ Cabarete!

Apparently in Juan Dolio this rule does not exist and huge monster buildings are erected.

windfinder

May 28, 2007

My initial research shows this is Law 256-75 (published 30 October 1975). Decree No. 1432 of 6 November 1975 carries the ruling for this law.

This resolution on page 3 , from 6 de November de 1975 , mentions 6 floors on the beach, so what is correct ?

http://cabarete.gov.do/consejo/resoluciones/pdf/Resolucion 6-08.pdf

samuel

Oct 14, 2008
This resolution is not from organization that makes laws of building. It is like you me sitting and making resolutions, and priniting it on paper with nice logo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In the photo below, you can see what people talking about and how some projects exceed the 11 meter rule.

11_meters.jpg

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Constructors have become too greedy in Cabarete. They have not read the market correctly. Cabarete is nowhere near large enough to be able to handle the amount of developments that are on the drawing board. The constant issue, which has been talked about for years is the road, and whether or not a by-pass will be developed. The second issue is that developers are building or are planning to build more condos East of Cabarete, where everybody, except the majority of overseas purchasers, know that the ocean currents in this area make it almost impossible to swim.
One way to see how many condos are being sold or are un-occupied, is to check how many of the units have curtain rails in the windows. As you look around Cabarete you will find that there are very few with curtains.
However, go up the road a few miles to Sosua and the condo market is completely different. Sosua has been very successful over the last 2 years, and this has mainly been to do with a limited amount of units available. Obviously there is much more infrastructure in Sosua, but Sosua is constantly branded the sleaze town, but hey, the condo market is definitely not suffering there. Nearly all condos are sold, a large amount are occupied and Sosua has a higher short term rental market. Right now there are only 3 major condo developments underway. Granted, Sosua has less beach front space available, but to me it just seems that they have done it correctly in Sosua, and Cabarete is an absolute shambles.
I understand the further height issues and of course the current economic crisis, speaking of which, this is another reason why the Sosua market will be even more successful this winter season as two of the three major developments offer in-house financing. Any Cabarete developers out there reading this, offer financing otherwise expect a very long and hard winter.

Reactions: AK74

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I understand the further height issues and of course the current economic crisis, speaking of which, this is another reason why the Sosua market will be even more successful this winter season as two of the three major developments offer in-house financing. Any Cabarete developers out there reading this, offer financing otherwise expect a very long and hard winter.

What are the three condo developments you are talking about? And which of them offer inhouse financing? At what rate?

villaleone

Apr 28, 2005
I wish they would enforce the 11 meter height limit forever, but, I know that this will not be done. I am from Philadelphia, where, for many years it was illegal to build anything taller than the top of Billy Penn's hat on top of City Hall. Several years ago, this gentleman's agreement, that was pretty much law, was set aside. We now have many 33 story and taller high rise structures that dwarf City Hall.

This will be the eventual fate of Cabarete if strong and immediate action is not taken. But, who is taking this action? I am afraid that money, greed and regard only for the bottom line will win in the end, making Cabarete something that I never wanted it to become.

I hope I am very wrong about this!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I wish they would enforce the 11 meter height limit forever, but, I know that this will not be done. I am from Philadelphia, where, for many years it was illegal to build anything taller than the top of Billy Penn's hat on top of City Hall. Several years ago, this gentleman's agreement, that was pretty much law, was set aside. We now have many 33 story and taller high rise structures that dwarf City Hall.

This will be the eventual fate of Cabarete if strong and immediate action is not taken. But, who is taking this action? I am afraid that money, greed and regard only for the bottom line will win in the end, making Cabarete something that I never wanted it to become.

I hope I am very wrong about this!

That small group of people who obtain benefits from this process call it DEVELOPMENT, and with all means are trying to persuade the crowd that development is good not only to them but to everybody.

Even a basic logical analysis of changes in life that come with "development" shows that is not true.

There is no doubt that people with big money eventually will destroy nature and environment in Sosua, in Cabarete, everywhere. Hopefully our generation will be able to die before seeing it. But our children are out of luck.

The situation is beyond control already. They were able to accumulate too much wealth and there is no more force that could stop them.

They are raping the whole planet with ease now. They call it "globalization".