Do direct TV boxes work in DR

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I am all ready for my Xmas vacation in the sun, but I was wondering if Direct TV boxes work in DR, I have 3 boxes from when I had direct TV 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

sunshine73

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
I am all ready for my Xmas vacation in the sun, but I was wondering if Direct TV boxes work in DR, I have 3 boxes from when I had direct TV 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

sunshine73

I have 2 direct tv boxes in my place and they work fine. Of course you have to have someone in the States to have an account and the cards activated from their address. Also you need a dish here as well, I guess that should be obvious.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have 2 direct tv boxes in my place and they work fine. Of course you have to have someone in the States to have an account and the cards activated from their address. Also you need a dish here as well, I guess that should be obvious.

Good info about the account in name of someone living in USA. I think is time for me to contact my uncle and order a card or two in his name.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but DirecTV does not provide local channels to the boxes installed in this country. It was explained to me as the reason being that DirecTV transmits their local channels in a 'spot beam' to the geographical location where the card is registered (vs where it is used).

Is this correct?

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Great info guys ....good to know....but it seems like it will be a lot cheaper to just get services in DR....

Thank you all for your quick and informative responses!!!:laugh::laugh:

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, but DirecTV does not provide local channels to the boxes installed in this country. It was explained to me as the reason being that DirecTV transmits their local channels in a 'spot beam' to the geographical location where the card is registered (vs where it is used).

Is this correct?

My Direct tv receivers are from an address in New Jersey so I get the New York channels. If the activation is in the Boston area you'll get Boston channels likewise if the friend who activates the cards lives in Chicago you'll get Chicago channels. The signal from the satellite does not know where the receiver is located only where it was activated.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Is it not true that those cards get cancelled every few months as this is not legal?

I was in a sports bar last year and during the NFL playoffs, after the first play the screen goes blank!

I ordered Sky satellite and have not looked back, I think I purchased NFL Sunday ticket twice so we will have to wait and see how that play's out.

I don't speak spanish and the google language translator.........well

it looses mucho in the translation

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My Direct tv receivers are from an address in New Jersey so I get the New York channels. If the activation is in the Boston area you'll get Boston channels likewise if the friend who activates the cards lives in Chicago you'll get Chicago channels. The signal from the satellite does not know where the receiver is located only where it was activated.

If the locals are on a "Spot Beam" you will receive them only in the area of the "Spot Beam"...........

New York and Chicago may be on a "Conus Beam", which therefore you can receive them anywhere you have a signal.

The satellite does not know as you say, "Where the box is", but it won't give you a signal on a "Spot Bean" if you move the box out of it's reception area.

IN OTHER WORDS: Some locals are on "Conus" and others are on a "Spot" beam ....

Don - SantiagoDR

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
If the locals are on a "Spot Beam" you will receive them only in the area of the "Spot Beam"...........

New York and Chicago may be on a "Conus Beam", which therefore you can receive them anywhere you have a signal.

The satellite does not know as you say, "Where the box is", but it won't give you a signal on a "Spot Bean" if you move the box out of it's reception area.

IN OTHER WORDS: Some locals are on "Conus" and others are on a "Spot" beam ....

Don - SantiagoDR

Ah, okay, that is likely what I was being told. My location would have been either Philadelphia or Miami, both of which are on spot beam (apparently) because we couldn't get the local channels. Now I am on DishNetwork and have all the NY/LA channels as well as the zillion other ones I couldn't begin to watch.