A first for the DR's gov!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Well its official! The DR has acknowledged that the electricity problems in the country, primarily and foremost, are caused by the gov failure to make the payments on time to power generators...

The first step to full recovery is acknowledging there's a problem at first!

As I explained here before, the generators were having to foot the bills every cycle, b/c the gov didn't make the payments on time; the generators were in fact having to get loans, at high interest rates, to pay for the fuel while the gov made the payments later (without the extra expense of the generators loan's interests).

The DR owns the capacity to meet the needs of our power grid demands.

The subsidy to the electrical sector will be phased out very soon, just as gas was...

We'll see an electricity subsidy very focalized in the near future, just like gas, where the neediest families and their basic needs are identified and addressed for a given period of time/cost.

The same will happen with the water supply sectors...
We have large sectors of the country, wasting large resources of water without discrimination. We'll meet a new code that regulate and inspects water usage by both commercial and residential users alike.

As you could understand, there's very little regulation enforcement today...
That will change dramatically in the coming months.

Companies will wise up, rather than to see their names published in the news for all to see the damages they cause in our country; they'll do the exact same thing the Tenerias * did to correct the issues and allow the code enforcers to apply the protection that the laws require.

The times of the free-for-all and general subsidies is rapidly closing up.
We simply can't afford it anymore!

Reactions: mike l

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I wish

Although I am stunned that someone actually stood up and did not lie about the situation.

I do not see how they could ever get this to work when so many people steal the electricity then the cables themselves.

And anyone who believes that only the poor will get subsidized hasn’t spent enough time in the DR. Government, police and army officials will have a card for them and many of their immediate family.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
of course they will be the first who have the cards.
or whatcha think who owns all those brand new free Jeepetas on the island??
ha ha
the whole electricity subsidy thingy can not be done by cards to persons/families, like that it would just end in a even higher corruption than we anyways have.
and it would not change a thing of today's behaviors/situations.
subsidies on electrical power can only be realized by areas/barrios.
you take the poor areas where most part of the population is not able to efford electricity/water aso for the usual/full rates, and there you provide such for the subcided rates.
a police officer or politician needs a subcidy??
tell him to talk with his employer about his salary compared to the country's average salary.
you say by such some big electricity consuming companies would move from their actual locations to areas where they would get due to location cheaper eletricity for the productyion of their products?
RIGHT!!
we would see such,
and i see such positive.
a poor barrio may get quickly a big factory nearby where many of the 50+% unemployed(and we have areas on that level and up in this country) would get a regular job, improvement for the poorest areas.
such i would name subcidies useful for the people.
giving out "electricity cards" for some???
BS,
that would not bring light to no poor house,
just save some big guys some huge bucks to spend on something else, and paid by taxmoney.
Mike

Reactions: mike l

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, this would indeed be great, but I have a few questions:

Do you have any idea how many months this will take?

Will it involve the power companies disconnecting those currently illegally connected at all levels?

Will the power companies then be required to provide power 24/7 or will they still force us to rely heavily on our own generators and/or battery inverter systems with scheduled daily power outages?

In the next months major work is going to be done to this end (hopefully)...

Power companies are not in charge of actual billing and compliance of users on the grid, but generating the power to feed the lines only. It's the job of the gov's handled biller to do so. Generators sell to certain private circuits on a contract basis.

The gov is 90 at fault of the disruptions to the grid in a major way. As such, it's the focus of the ongoing debate to remove the subsidy once and for all to the majority.

So far the law has been approved to go after illegal hook-ups but the gov has stopped the pertaining authorities from doing their jobs as required.

Once the card-based subsidy is enforced, the generators will get paid on time... Local energy providers/billers will then be able to enforce the law and provide efficient services to paying clients.

Elections are over, so no more trying to be nice to people that expect to get electricity and not pay for it as always...

The program for the card-based subsidy is in waiting as the gov needs to take control of the refinery in order to be able to discount the energy bills off power generators directly. The gov will use the PetroCaribe accord and ownership of the refinery, in order to be able to sustain the focalized subsidy and payments on time to the companies as well.

Gov owned refinery = Raw energy material = Sold to power generators at a profit = PetroCaribe accord long term financed raw material = Subsidy to large amounts of people in first stage to be diminished each year thereafter = Payments on time to generators = Low incidence of blackouts...

The gov is the largest client of power generators! Strict powers saving measures are going to be enforced in the coming months as well...

The country is looking to add a submarine energy cable from South America to the country in order to provide power redundancy 100%. When the local power is cheaper, the grid will plug to it; when the international power is needed the grid will plug to that one as well.

The international power grid supply envisioned, is in a redundancy and operational capacity only. It's by no means being followed to replace local energy production.

The refinery is not yet in the gov hands... Within 14 months electrical services are going to be normalized as much as possible, given the actual capacity and resources at hand.

Within 3 years, at least 3 Ethanol plants will be up and running, feeding of locally produced raw materials. Gas with 10% Ethanol and E85 for Flex Fuel vehicles will be common in our market...

A new directive to allow only Flex Fuel vehicles importation is being debated now. Also only vehicles of the same year as import date will be allowed into the country... A new emissions bill will look to cleaning up the air in our clogged streets and cities.

There's a task force looking at one of the biggest concerns in our streets and air quality: Motorcycles...

For too long, air and noise pollution have been accepted from these varmints in our country. Existing bikes will need to be "certified" for transit and air/noise pollution articles. The parts brokers will have to part with their aftermarket noise polluting mufflers and tail pipes...

Bikes with less cc than safely needed to operate in transit on major avenues and hwys will be banned and strictly confiscated when breaking the law.

If we're to get a grip on our energy crisis, we must understand that motorcycles are the first stage to deal with it.

The aim of the one year importation ban is due to the need of removing so many old cars in poor shape from the streets. Car will be filtered as of year of actual manufacture, not registration. As you all know cars are sold in a fashion where next year model is sold practically the year before, the DR will only allow the vehicles to be imported as of their compliance with manufactured date.

The first stone was turned when the gov said "Mea Culpa"....

There's much road to be covered to when we can say that our energy problems are solved or about to be stable...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Producing Ethanol to sell to power generators alone is not a profitable biz as it stands today. The backdrop of using and allowing only Flex Fuel vehicle importation is aimed to provide the needed support, in a clientele basis, to Ethanol plants in order to make such investments economically feasible. Hence my adding the "cars and bikes" to the response above...

Bet you didn't know there are Flex Fuel motorcycles in the market??? LOL!!!

One thing is very much tied to the other...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The Gas card subsidy is going to be periodically phased off by diminishing the actual amounts provided and beneficiaries that enjoy it. The electrical card subsidy will be the same, only that it will be implemented along other power saving measures to educate families to the energy savings program...

There's a new task force doing heavy work to deploy an ID-required catch up of all metals sold to scrap yards. The task force is working with the JCE to assist in order to have biometric data/face recognition system in place, to be able to weed out fake IDs. If you're going to sell scrap metal it better be yours!

Several investigators will be visiting the yards in order to try and sell "goods" and enforce strict fines and possible closures/jail time after three summonses to the same place.

Just the same the Gas system is doing now... It works wonders...

May 5, 2007
I'll take that bet Pichardo

Bet you didn't know there are Flex Fuel motorcycles in the market??? LOL!!!

One thing is very much tied to the other...

I'll take that bet! I brought my Hayes Tech M1030 into the DR back in April (I think). I'm not sure of your definition of flex fuel, but that creature will run on just about anything combustible and pull the Metro while doing so.

It appears there has been some delay in release of the "civilian" Bulldog version, but if you ask real nice and have cash in hand, they can be purchased

Far as I am concerned it is the perfect DR bike, not a highway cruiser but it will go 70mph all day at 100 mpg

The suspension was designed for military use, as is the whole bike, so not even the super smooth roads of he DR will faze it

It only weighs around 350 lbs and 35 pounds of torque will haul you almost vertical, one heck of an off road machine

It is not the highway cruiser that Cobra Boy uses on his tours, but head of the paved road and I'll bet CB won't argue about trying to keep up. Should you run low on fule, find teh nearest tractor, loader or even distillery and the engine will be happy to accomodate

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'll take that bet! I brought my Hayes Tech M1030 into the DR back in April (I think). I'm not sure of your definition of flex fuel, but that creature will run on just about anything combustible and pull the Metro while doing so.

It appears there has been some delay in release of the "civilian" Bulldog version, but if you ask real nice and have cash in hand, they can be purchased

Far as I am concerned it is the perfect DR bike, not a highway cruiser but it will go 70mph all day at 100 mpg

The suspension was designed for military use, as is the whole bike, so not even the super smooth roads of he DR will faze it

It only weighs around 350 lbs and 35 pounds of torque will haul you almost vertical, one heck of an off road machine

It is not the highway cruiser that Cobra Boy uses on his tours, but head of the paved road and I'll bet CB won't argue about trying to keep up. Should you run low on fule, find teh nearest tractor, loader or even distillery and the engine will be happy to accomodate
Ugly machine but 100mpg. I guess we can live with it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Certainly a viable machine, no doubt.

Change the tires on the V-Strom, and it would be even more capable off-road than it already is. It's the tires and suspension more than anything else that make a good off-road bike. The V-Strom stock tires are a 70% road/30% off-road tire. It's 100% fine on the good hard-packed dirt roads in the DR. To go deep into the brush, loose rocks and soft sand, it needs knobbies. But you wouldn't want to take knobbies on the street (well, you could, but you'd be losing significant traction, control and braking.)

There is a right tool for the job for every road. Since our tours are 90% on good pavement, the V-Strom is outstanding.

Diesel bike is kinda neat, I admit.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
PICHARDO, the CARD system has never worked, for the reasons mentioned above. It is a stupid thing to think that trying the same old thing again will fix anything. You know that bono-gas card? I hear from gas suppliers that it is a freaking fiasco, and they're ending up having to pay for the subsidy themselves. For this reason, many are getting together and they will stop serving the bono-gas card until the government pays.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, the CARD system has never worked, for the reasons mentioned above. It is a stupid thing to think that trying the same old thing again will fix anything. You know that bono-gas card? I hear from gas suppliers that it is a freaking fiasco, and they're ending up having to pay for the subsidy themselves. For this reason, many are getting together and they will stop serving the bono-gas card until the government pays.

Like I said: It works wonders to diminish the load on public coffers...
Retailers MUST provide all paperwork related with dispensing Gas with the bonocards, the data is matched and depurated as such and takes time to do so. An authorized beneficiary can only purchase so much Gas onto his awarded subsidy card; therefore any extra pounds sold and claimed must be tallied up to the last ounce...

Claims are cross referenced to a database of purchases by the authorized clients, once the amounts allotted are matched, the payments are made by the Gov. If a Bono Gas Card client is tallied in retailer’s tab over the amount authorized per cycle, a red flag goes up and payment is held over until it gets depurated…

Retailers tried to test the system by shortening the cycle of purchases by clients and in fact, submitted Gas sold to non-authorized clients using the Bono Gas Card’s numbers of past clients. They played with Gas and matches and got burned badly…

No more freebies or loopholes (well... sans the friend of a friend botellas)...

CARD WORKS as it was able to turn the tide against claiming subsidized Gas sold to non-authorized clients, as the retailers did before...

In fact, Bono Gas is so much working that it serves as the model to follow for the new focus on electrical subsidy per user...

sparky178

Oct 4, 2004
In the next months major work is going to be done to this end (hopefully)...

Power companies are not in charge of actual billing and compliance of users on the grid, but generating the power to feed the lines only. It's the job of the gov's handled biller to do so. Generators sell to certain private circuits on a contract basis.

The gov is 90 at fault of the disruptions to the grid in a major way. As such, it's the focus of the ongoing debate to remove the subsidy once and for all to the majority.

So far the law has been approved to go after illegal hook-ups but the gov has stopped the pertaining authorities from doing their jobs as required.

Once the card-based subsidy is enforced, the generators will get paid on time... Local energy providers/billers will then be able to enforce the law and provide efficient services to paying clients.

Elections are over, so no more trying to be nice to people that expect to get electricity and not pay for it as always...

The program for the card-based subsidy is in waiting as the gov needs to take control of the refinery in order to be able to discount the energy bills off power generators directly. The gov will use the PetroCaribe accord and ownership of the refinery, in order to be able to sustain the focalized subsidy and payments on time to the companies as well.

Gov owned refinery = Raw energy material = Sold to power generators at a profit = PetroCaribe accord long term financed raw material = Subsidy to large amounts of people in first stage to be diminished each year thereafter = Payments on time to generators = Low incidence of blackouts...

The gov is the largest client of power generators! Strict powers saving measures are going to be enforced in the coming months as well...

The country is looking to add a submarine energy cable from South America to the country in order to provide power redundancy 100%. When the local power is cheaper, the grid will plug to it; when the international power is needed the grid will plug to that one as well.

The international power grid supply envisioned, is in a redundancy and operational capacity only. It's by no means being followed to replace local energy production.

The refinery is not yet in the gov hands... Within 14 months electrical services are going to be normalized as much as possible, given the actual capacity and resources at hand.

Within 3 years, at least 3 Ethanol plants will be up and running, feeding of locally produced raw materials. Gas with 10% Ethanol and E85 for Flex Fuel vehicles will be common in our market...

A new directive to allow only Flex Fuel vehicles importation is being debated now. Also only vehicles of the same year as import date will be allowed into the country... A new emissions bill will look to cleaning up the air in our clogged streets and cities.

There's a task force looking at one of the biggest concerns in our streets and air quality: Motorcycles...

For too long, air and noise pollution have been accepted from these varmints in our country. Existing bikes will need to be "certified" for transit and air/noise pollution articles. The parts brokers will have to part with their aftermarket noise polluting mufflers and tail pipes...

Bikes with less cc than safely needed to operate in transit on major avenues and hwys will be banned and strictly confiscated when breaking the law.

If we're to get a grip on our energy crisis, we must understand that motorcycles are the first stage to deal with it.

The aim of the one year importation ban is due to the need of removing so many old cars in poor shape from the streets. Car will be filtered as of year of actual manufacture, not registration. As you all know cars are sold in a fashion where next year model is sold practically the year before, the DR will only allow the vehicles to be imported as of their compliance with manufactured date.

The first stone was turned when the gov said "Mea Culpa"....

There's much road to be covered to when we can say that our energy problems are solved or about to be stable...
Pardon the Interruption Sir, but do you know this company?
ATLANTIC ALCOHOL CARIBE:
It's Brochure states it " is responsible for
storage, logistics and delivery of product throughout
the Caribbean. Our footprint in the Dominican Republic
(DR) and British West Indies, with strategic
relationships throughout the Caribbean,
matches our strong position as a dedicated line
of supply with a strong position as a reliable
partner for delivery and storage needs. Ethanol sales
and distribution to Europe are also supported and
facilitated by our DR team."

If you do, do you know the principals?

Sparky

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Like I said: It works wonders to diminish the load on public coffers...
Retailers MUST provide all paperwork related with dispensing Gas with the bonocards, the data is matched and depurated as such and takes time to do so. An authorized beneficiary can only purchase so much Gas onto his awarded subsidy card; therefore any extra pounds sold and claimed must be tallied up to the last ounce...

Claims are cross referenced to a database of purchases by the authorized clients, once the amounts allotted are matched, the payments are made by the Gov. If a Bono Gas Card client is tallied in retailer?s tab over the amount authorized per cycle, a red flag goes up and payment is held over until it gets depurated?

Retailers tried to test the system by shortening the cycle of purchases by clients and in fact, submitted Gas sold to non-authorized clients using the Bono Gas Card?s numbers of past clients. They played with Gas and matches and got burned badly?

No more freebies or loopholes (well... sans the friend of a friend botellas)...

CARD WORKS as it was able to turn the tide against claiming subsidized Gas sold to non-authorized clients, as the retailers did before...

In fact, Bono Gas is so much working that it serves as the model to follow for the new focus on electrical subsidy per user...

wonders?
where does such work wonders??
if the gubmin pays the gas bills the same way they pay the electricity bills we will have aside our usual countrywide blackouts also countrywide Gas/cooking outs, or no transportation 'cause vehicles or other gas tanks don't get refilled due to leak of payment.

and all that Metro money could by gas for a loooong time,
including the rice and chicken to cook the dinner or breakfast on that gas stove and the urgently needed assistance to bring the boys after a decent breakfast to a decent educational center, named school.
Mike

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

Is working just dandy to this day...

Any proof to the contrary?

Feb 7, 2007
The loss of power in the system is between 42% and 50% as admitted by Radhames Segura.

Even taken the lower number, out of 1000 MW generated, 420 is either lost in the transmission process or stolen.

You do the math....

Nowadays we are talking 200, 300 MW are missing on the generation side daily to supply the demand. But to supply the demand which includes electric thieves. If you remove those people from the grid, there will be actually a surplus of generation.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The loss of power in the system is between 42% and 50% as admitted by Radhames Segura.

Even taken the lower number, out of 1000 MW generated, 420 is either lost in the transmission process or stolen.

You do the math....

Nowadays we are talking 200, 300 MW are missing on the generation side daily to supply the demand. But to supply the demand which includes electric thieves. If you remove those people from the grid, there will be actually a surplus of generation.

A very large one indeed!