Real Estate Fraud

caprice240k

Oct 13, 2008
I was the victim of real estate fraud in Santo Domingo. I purchased a house in November of 1999 with my Dominican girlfriend. I could not be in the country so I gave her poder de representation to purchase the house while I was in New York. The house was purchased for $760,000 pesos.

In March of 2000 the real estate agent calls to tell us the original power of attorney was not valid and that I had to go to the Dominican Consulate in Manhattan to prepare a new one. A new poder was prepared at the DR Consulate but it was in spanish and I was tricked into giving the real estate agent power to make a loan to my girlfriend. The next week the real estate agent makes a new sales contact for $600,000 pesos and makes a loan of $250,000 to my girlfriend but only pays her with a check for $80,000 pesos. The agent then puts a lien against the house for $250,000 pesos even though he only paid her $80,000 pesos. My signatures were forged on the loan contract and the new sales agreement.

In secret without my knowledge an auction (subasta) was held. The house was sold for $1,200,000 pesos. My signature was forged on the auction sales contact. I never received a any money after the auction. The agent and his lawyers stole the remaining $900,000 pesos.

I hired a lawyer who conducted an investigation and uncovered the extent of the fraud. The real estate agent also tried to bribe my lawyer.

Criminal charges were brought against Faustino Palmas Garcia the real estate agent and financiera involved in the fraud.

A trial was held in the PRIMER TRIBUNAL COLEGIADO in the Distrito Nacional before DR. ANTONIO OTILIO SANCHEZ MEJIA Juez Presidencia. We hired handwriting expert Mario Grillo who determined that the signatures were forgeries. After a 2 month trial with many adjournments all charges were dismissed.

The case was appealed to the Dominican Court of appeals. After paying a $600 dollar bribe to the Court of Appeals a new trial was ordered.

The second trial was held at the Segundo Tribunal Colegiado before Juez Sara Veras Almanzar. After a 2 month trial with many adjournments the case was also dismissed. The Assistant DA even accused the Judge of Abuso de Victima. At the second audiencia Judge Sarah Vera said she could not hear my case that day because she had another more important homicide case. She wanted us to come back the next day but I had to return 2 weeks later at a cost of over $1000 in hotel and airfare.

The lesson from this story is that if you are an American never buy real estate in the Dominican Republic. The DR has a very corrupt and incompotent legal system that is biased against Americans.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was the victim of real estate fraud in Santo Domingo. I purchased a house in November of 1999 with my Dominican girlfriend. I could not be in the country so I gave her poder de representation to purchase the house while I was in New York. The house was purchased for $760,000 pesos.

In March of 2000 the real estate agent calls to tell us the original power of attorney was not valid and that I had to go to the Dominican Consulate in Manhattan to prepare a new one. A new poder was prepared at the DR Consulate but it was in spanish and I was tricked into giving the real estate agent power to make a loan to my girlfriend. The next week the real estate agent makes a new sales contact for $600,000 pesos and makes a loan of $250,000 to my girlfriend but only pays her with a check for $80,000 pesos. The agent then puts a lien against the house for $250,000 pesos even though he only paid her $80,000 pesos. My signatures were forged on the loan contract and the new sales agreement.

In secret without my knowledge an auction (subasta) was held. The house was sold for $1,200,000 pesos. My signature was forged on the auction sales contact. I never received a any money after the auction. The agent and his lawyers stole the remaining $900,000 pesos.

I hired a lawyer who conducted an investigation and uncovered the extent of the fraud. The real estate agent also tried to bribe my lawyer.

Criminal charges were brought against Faustino Palmas Garcia the real estate agent and financiera involved in the fraud.

A trial was held in the PRIMER TRIBUNAL COLEGIADO in the Distrito Nacional before DR. ANTONIO OTILIO SANCHEZ MEJIA Juez Presidencia. We hired handwriting expert Mario Grillo who determined that the signatures were forgeries. After a 2 month trial with many adjournments all charges were dismissed.

The case was appealed to the Dominican Court of appeals. After paying a $600 dollar bribe to the Court of Appeals a new trial was ordered.

The second trial was held at the Segundo Tribunal Colegiado before Juez Sara Veras Almanzar. After a 2 month trial with many adjournments the case was also dismissed. The Assistant DA even accused the Judge of Abuso de Victima. At the second audiencia Judge Sarah Vera said she could not hear my case that day because she had another more important homicide case. She wanted us to come back the next day but I had to return 2 weeks later at a cost of over $1000 in hotel and airfare.

The lesson from this story is that if you are an American never buy real estate in the Dominican Republic. The DR has a very corrupt and incompotent legal system that is biased against Americans.

You seem to have all of your facts in place which is required on this forum so I doubt this will get deleted!

No one targets Americans as much as the Canadians and the Euros, it's all about the strength of the dollar where you choose your demographic market.

sad, but true!

Let's See!

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Sorry to hear you're a victim of fraud. It happens all over the world. I can see why your bitter towards the DR.

But...

What about the 1000's of Americans, Europeans etc that have successfully brought real estate in the DR and are very happy?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Maybe I didn't read it correctly but was your girlfriend in on the original scam? It looked to me as if she was trying to steal 250,000 pesos.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

I am sorry you are the victim of fraud but you're learning the wrong lesson. This has nothing to do with your country of origin but has everything to do with who you gave your power of attorney to. If it was not for that, your transaction would most probably have gone through fine and you would be the owner of the house that you bought.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
A new poder was prepared at the DR Consulate but it was in Spanish and I was tricked into giving the real estate agent power to make a loan to my girlfriend.

Caprice, sorry to hear about your experience, as Robert said many foreigners have purchased here without incident. I have to ask...what on earth made you sign a piece of paper that you did not understand? I would imagine that this would have been very easy to translate in NY.
Additionally, are you saying that the DR consulate prepared the poder, or did the SD lawyer prepare one and send it to you to take to the consulate?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am sorry you are the victim of fraud but you're learning the wrong lesson. This has nothing to do with your country of origin but has everything to do with who you gave your power of attorney to. If it was not for that, your transaction would most probably have gone through fine and you would be the owner of the house that you bought.
Exactly. Signing away Power of Attorney and signing documents in a foreign language sunk the OP's ship.

Caveat Emptor.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
That really sucks!

What a disaster!

My first real estate purchase over there I was all over it like white on rice, and my lawyer is family!

Too bad it didn't go right. Sounds like lack of due diligence and opportunistic greedy low lives doomed your purchase.

Hopefully your next venture into real estate, domestic or otherwise will be a success!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's obvious the "girlfriend" was either in on all of this or she's just completely incompetent to not defend your rights. You hear it all the time in this forum about buying local property and have it checked out thoroughly by YOUR attorney...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so based on what happened almost 10 years ago you are advising Americans not to buy property here and this is your first post on the forum.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Very good observation! But maybe his ordeal just recently ended and he was waiting for the final decision on his case.

caprice240k

Oct 13, 2008
RE: Real estate Fraud

Im sure most real estate transactions in the DR occur without any problems but if you should ever run into any problems the Dominican legal system is a complete nightmare. Count on years of court delays and corrupt officials.

What angers me most about the DR legal system is the complete incompetence of the judges. The same judge in my case, Antonio Sanchez Mejia, also presided over the Baninter case. He found the defendent not guilty and let him keep millions in stolen funds. This case was appealed to the DR Supreme Court and a new trial was ordered in that case.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
so based on what happened almost 10 years ago you are advising Americans not to buy property here and this is your first post on the forum.
Now don't you go being hard on caprice240k JR, he is only saying what many of us old 'uns have been saying for years. The legal system when buying a property CAN be a minefield here & a purchaser should use EXTREME caution when attempting to buy.
Do NOT use the same lawyer as the seller to cut costs.
Do NOT give power of Attorney to anyone you don't trust 150%
Follow proceedings on a weekly (or beter still DAILY) basis
Check, double check & then TRIPLE check any contract before signing
Make sure the lawyer agrees IN WRITING to be RESPONSIBLE for his/her errors &/or malpractice prior to signing an agreement/contract with him/her

i.e. Damage Control, damage control & DAMAGE CONTROL!!

MOST property sales go through relatively easily & free of agro but SOME become the greatest headache a person has ever experienced. Caprice seems to be one of the unfortunate ones ~ Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Caprice 240K, from what you've said above I can only guess that your case was dismissed on a technicality.

By the way, Antonio Sanchez Mejia has a good reputation as a criminal judge. He did find against the two main defendants in the Baninter case (10 years against each) and his ruling was confirmed by the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court. What was overturned was his ruling absolving Vivian Lubrano, Baez Figueroa's CFO.

caprice240k

Oct 13, 2008
Mr Guzman: Juez Antonio Sanchez Mejia delayed the issuing of the sentence for over 2 months. My lawyer said this was highly unusual and he had to file a complaint about this. Juez Sanchez knew we were going to appeal his sentence so he was trying to make it more difficult for us to appeal.

Also during the case when I was asked by the defense attorneys how much I had paid Mario Grillo's for his testimony, Juez Sanchez, the two other Judges and the defense attorneys all burst out in laughter when I told them what his fee was. This is when I realized that this court was biased against Americans. I think Juez Sanchez's conduct in this trial was very unprofessional.

Mar 2, 2008
Let's face it, the court system, and just about any other system in the DR, is biased against gringos. The same is true throughout Latin America, in my opinion.

Much of this bias is well-earned and understandable. Our history with these countries has been less than stellar, in many instances.

However, some of the bias results from an irrational but prevalent perspection among Dominicans that all gringos are rich, stupid, and easy and willing victims.

This mentality quickly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy within many of the DR beaucracies, noteably and particularly within law-enforcement and the court sytem. In many cases, they are laughing at us before we even enter the room.

As long as the US diplomatic corps side-steps its responsibility to stand up for US citizens and expats, and as long as expats remain disorganized and voiceless, things are not about to change for the better any time soon.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i completely disagree, and in fully, with the last 2 posts above.
my own experience show it different, completely different, but of course that's my own experinece/opinion.
even that i know that robert or dolores may kick my answer for that, i will state my personal true opinion to the 2 prior posts:
BS
Mike