Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is simple, tape record every dealing you have with a video camera and make sure you have an interperter in the event you do not speak spanish, or they do noit speak english!

Tape record the agent the realtor and the lawyers involved FOR QUALITY CONTROL!

This can be used as evidence and to prevent fraudulent dealings!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, you know I respect your opinion. If you say there is no bias against gringos in the the DR court system, I've got to hear what you have to say. Could you please give an example of the experiences you had that convinced you my perception of bias is BS.

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. I've been wrong about many things, and actually I hope I'm wrong again this time. But everything I have seen and heard has convinced me there is a bias against gringos. So please help to convince me otherwise.

Are you saying there is no bias against gringos, or that the bias that exists is minimal? Anyway, I'm prepared to listen to anything you can tell me that shows the lack of bias.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

that's the same bull than written in the prior posts above.
    a recording by voice or voice and picture(yeap, named video tape) would only be worth a thing when reliable sources would sign that the tape been recorded in front of them and .......
    this thread switches to a joke.
    if you want to complain about a specific judge, and prior posts named names aso,
    you should do such where such complains should be posted.
    here on the bord that thread is actually completely out of space.
    Mike
    sure,
    just my 2 1/2 cents

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by incredible View Post
    This is simple, tape record every dealing you have with a video camera and make sure you have an interperter in the event you do not speak spanish, or they do noit speak english!

Tape record the agent the realtor and the lawyers involved FOR QUALITY CONTROL!

This can be used as evidence and to prevent fraudulent dealings!
    That might work in your world, but forget the DR.

If you want me to go into detail why it wouldn't work here.

Then...

A.
    You have never lived in the DR.

Or

B.
    You have never done any business deals here?
    You have never had a meeting with lawyers and real estate people in the DR?

It's a "nice" suggestion, but completely impractical in reality.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Perhaps you missed my last post (#22), since you were posting your own message at approximately the same time.

I am still interested in reading your response to my question, if you have the time and the inclination. Thank you.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for Mike but maybe his views are similar to mine? In those cases where the judiciary is corrupt, I think they are 'equal opportunity' focussed i.e. towards both Dominicans & foreigners. I have had correspondance from a number of Dominicans who were on the receiving end of corrupt 'justice' and even a cursory perusal of the papers will give loads more examples. There are cases very similar to caprice240k's which have happened to Dominicans. Similarly Dominicans also have been defrauded by developers and lawyers.

It is probably true that corrupt officials would initially spot a foreign 'target' more readily, but the minute you start scratching beneath the surface you find this problem is not solely confined to expats. Sadly. Corrupt officials with influence will exploit their own as much as they will exploit us foreigners. And on a numbers basis, more so, because there are more Dominicans living here than expats.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

to rip of their own fellow countrymen, the dominicans, is the prefered method for those people who want to do fraud, because it is in most cases more easy, the thieves and corrupts know exactly the law and wheree to bribe to get what they wanna get. with foreigners, specially with new ones, they would need to check out what kind of person that lamb is, otherwise they may get a nice scandal with press and embassies aso involved. to nap the own ones is simpler, and like Ginnie wrote:
    there are much more dominican lambs than foreigns.
    Mike

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, fair enough, the DR courts are an equal opportunity rip off system. Would it be fair to say that some gringos are perceived to be "fleece able" if they don't speak Spanish, appear powerless, and are stuck with a sleazy lawyer?

Perhaps the perception of anti-gringo bias emerges from the limited knowledge of the DR court system by gringos. In general, gringos are not informed about the extent of the court's rip off of Dominicans. Gringo rip offs are much more likely to be publicized in the English-speaking press than are the rip off of locals.

Thank you Mike and Lambada, I think I have a better understanding now.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    In general, gringos are not informed about the extent of the court's rip off of Dominicans.
    Perhaps some gringos do not inform themselves? The rest of us read the papers.

Not to detract from the topic, but it isn't a language thing so much as an interest/curiosity thing. For example, I was trying to find out what was being said in the Icelandic papers about the Cabarete murder; I don't read Icelandic; the online translation machines produce nothing understandable, so I find some Norwegians with an interest in Old Norse & presto!

It is that same curiosity level, leaving no stone unturned, which will act as some protection for expats and Dominicans alike against the frauds. And many don't do it. At the end of the day it is OUR responsibility to protect ourselves as much as we can against corruption. I'm not 'blaming the victim' so much as offering a reminder. I'd be the first to agree that cases exist where nothing would have altered the outcome.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in general, NA gringos are lazy and ill-informed, and even many who are well-educated and knowledgeable in some areas are not well-versed in all things. Just look at the US election thread as an example.

What can I tell you. We are an very inadequate group of people, which is why we must depend on others for the straight scope. So again, thank you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast