Seat Belt Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
During my last visit to Sosua week before last, I got a Seat Belt ticket on Pedro Clisante. Issued by an AMT officer. By the time I made it to Banco Reserve to pay it they were closed, and I was leaving the next morning.

Any idea if I can just pay this my next trip, probably in a couple of months? Or will it become a problem before then somehow?

Thanks in advance... The officer said the ticket was $503rd.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
During my last visit to Sosua week before last, I got a Seat Belt ticket on Pedro Clisante. Issued by an AMT officer. By the time I made it to Banco Reserve to pay it they were closed, and I was leaving the next morning.

Any idea if I can just pay this my next trip, probably in a couple of months? Or will it become a problem before then somehow?

Thanks in advance... The officer said the ticket was $503rd.

I hope that they're giving seat belt tickets to ""carro de Concho"" drivers too.

You are the first person i hear that had a seat belt ticket in the DR.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I hope that they're giving seat belt tickets to ""carro de Concho"" drivers too.

You are the first person i hear that had a seat belt ticket in the DR.

I had on a light colored shirt so you could plainly see I didnt have it on - He walked out from the sidewalk and just flagged me over.

I just don't want any problems on re-entry. I didn't know if they exchange info with Customs re unpaid fines.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
You can make me #2. I got a seat belt ticket by Parque Independencia in Santo Domingo.

Me personally - no ( I preach responsible behavior) but my friends got SB tickes as back as three-four years ago.

Actually not tickets, but were stopped and asked for a little donation.

For drunk driving - NEVER!!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Seatbelt tickets are quite common in SD. The ticket (contravencion or multa) given in the DR do not include the fine amount to be paid as part of the ticket and all tickets must be adjudicated. AMET officers usually quote the lowest fine amount available for the infraction cited but you'll usually pay the highest fine allowed by law. Law 12-07 modified traffic law 241 and increased all fines but ALL fines have increased yet again.

Seatbelt tickets were paying RD$884 and I believe they will be paying from RD$1000 to about a whopping RD$1768. Apparently the fine ranges have been double.

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I had on a light colored shirt so you could plainly see I didnt have it on - He walked out from the sidewalk and just flagged me over.

I just don't want any problems on re-entry. I didn't know if they exchange info with Customs re unpaid fines.

Relax, you are not a criminal! It's just a traffic infraction and should not affect you in any way shape or form in relation to entering or exiting the country. I do believe it is up to your moral judgment to decide to pay or not this fine. If you were not wearing your seatbelt, or even if you were, you should take care of this. In DR all traffic infractions are adjudicated so go plead your case in front of the traffic judge perhaps it'll get dismissed or the lowest available fine. Either way it should not interfere with your journey through Dominican customs :)

NotLurking

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Curious question.

If you do not pay a ticket, such as a parking ticket, can your car be towed away like the US does?

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
ive been stopped many times because i dont wear a seat belt , i get asked if i would like to go to the police station to pay a fine! as i dont speak spanish my dominican wife argues with the amet guy for 2 mins then he lets us go ....no fine no bribe! probably cos his ears are bleeding!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I didn't wear a seat belt here years ago when it wasn't illegal but since the law was introduced I do, every single time I get in the car. I suppose people have the right to make the choice, but the choice isn't just about responsible driving, it is also about breaking the law. Personally, it wouldn't feel right to me to make a deliberate decision to break the law unless one had a medical condition whereby wearing a belt was a problem.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I didn't wear a seat belt here years ago when it wasn't illegal but since the law was introduced I do, every single time I get in the car. I suppose people have the right to make the choice, but the choice isn't just about responsible driving, it is also about breaking the law. Personally, it wouldn't feel right to me to make a deliberate decision to break the law unless one had a medical condition whereby wearing a belt was a problem.

Especially when seat belts SAVE lives, especially in the DR with all those maniacs behind the wheel.:glasses::glasses:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Relax, you are not a criminal! It's just a traffic infraction and should not affect you in any way shape or form in relation to entering or exiting the country. I do believe it is up to your moral judgment to decide to pay or not this fine. If you were not wearing your seatbelt, or even if you were, you should take care of this. In DR all traffic infractions are adjudicated so go plead your case in front of the traffic judge perhaps it'll get dismissed or the lowest available fine. Either way it should not interfere with your journey through Dominican customs :)

NotLurking

Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback. The officer directed me to Banca Reserve to pay the ticket. Do you adjudicate your case there? He made it sound like I go to the bank, pay it and they put it into the correct account.

Either way I'll take care of it next trip. Thanks again...

Mar 2, 2008
Do you adjudicate your case there? He made it sound like I go to the bank, pay it and they put it into the correct account.

There is no adjudication. You just give any teller the ticket, pay the fine, and get a receipt. That's all there is to it. It takes less time than changing money.

Keep the receipt, just in case they do check, which is doubtful, but it never hurts to be on the safe side. The ticket, by the way, is more associated with the car than with the driver. So if you driving a friend's car, for example, you probably want to leave the receipt in that car.

Reactions: FernieBee

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Oh really? Is that a fact?

Do you adjudicate your case there? He made it sound like I go to the bank, pay it and they put it into the correct account.

There is no adjudication. You just give any teller the ticket, pay the fine, and get a receipt. That's all there is to it. It takes less time than changing money.

Keep the receipt, just in case they do check, which is doubtful, but it never hurts to be on the safe side. The ticket, by the way, is more associated with the car than with the driver. So if you driving a friend's car, for example, you probably want to leave the receipt in that car.

When was the last time you got a seatbelt or any other traffic ticket that you actually PAID? You can not pay a seatbelt or any other traffic ticket with out it first being adjudicated (you have to see a magistrado del Ministerio P?blico). It is the LAW here in DR.

Tambi?n se estableci? un nuevo procedimiento para el pago de las contravenciones impuestas por el polic?a de tr?nsito, que establece que cuando sea impuesta una multa a un ciudadano por infracciones cometidas, ?ste debe comparecer ante los tribunales de tr?nsito y en presencia del magistrado del Ministerio P?blica recibir? una autorizaci?n para ir a cualquier Banco de Reservas a materializar el pago.

And the new fine rates:
Las multas por violaci?n a la Ley 241 sobre Tr?nsito Terrestre y Veh?culos de Motor fueron incrementadas en un 89% desde el martes pasado. Ahora las contravenciones m?nimas pasar?n de RD$530 a RD$1,000, y la m?xima de RD$884 a RD$1,667.

Also, the traffic infraction is NOT related to the car! It is related to the person driving the car. It is associated to the driver's license number of the vehicle operator.

Source: http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo...d=0FF561E260C1415C99DF2313DF6E5981&Seccion=63

:surprised :tired: :tired: :tired:
NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The ticket, by the way, is more associated with the car than with the driver.

The following is offered as proof that fines are given to and associated with real people and not associated with the vehicle. Fines are given to the person that committed the infraction as demonstrated in the group of articles on sanction of traffic law 241.

Art. 28.- Sanciones.
a. Cualquier persona que violare

Art. 48.- Sanciones.
a. Cualquier persona que violare lo dispuesto

Art. 64.- Sanciones.
Toda persona que violare cualquiera de las disposiciones

Art. 75.- Sanciones.
Toda persona que condujere un veh?culo

Art. 90.- Sanciones.
Toda persona que estacione

Art. 94.- Sanciones.
Toda persona que conduzca un veh?culo de motor

Art. 100. - Sanciones.
a. Todo conductor que violare lo dispuesto

and so on

Source: http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

NotLurking

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If the AMET was associating the ticket with the car they would ask for the Matricula, not your license.

NotLurking is %100 percent correct.

Mar 2, 2008
When was the last time you got a seatbelt or any other traffic ticket that you actually PAID? You can not pay a seatbelt or any other traffic ticket with out it first being adjudicated (you have to see a magistrado del Ministerio P?blico). It is the LAW here in DR.

Last July. Paid at the bank.
While I'm sure the law associates the driver with the offense, AMET officers remember the car. Several officers have told that they watche for the cars that have been stopped in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.