link to law on transit, pls

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I assume that in the DR, tourists are permitted to drive with their foreign driver's licences (hence the thriving rental-car industry). Unfortunately, I cannot find that information on the DGTT website.

Could someone in the know kindly steer me in the right direction on this one? A weblink to the relevant law or discreto would be perfect, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking but here is the DR transit law 241 and the citation the allows person with a foreign license to operate motor vehicle in the DR.

T?TULO III
LICENCIA DE CONDUCTOR
Cap?tulo I

Art. 30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.
a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su arribo.

b. Toda persona que poseyere una licencia de conductor de las se?aladas en el inciso anterior, podr? solicitar y obtener una licencia de conducir, sin cumplir otro requisito que el pago de los derechos correspondientes, presentando una certificaci?n del representante diplom?tico o consular del pa?s de donde procede dicha licencia, acreditado en la Rep?blica Dominicana, certificando que la referida licencia es v?lida, y un certificado
m?dico expedido seg?n se dispone en el inciso a) del art?culo 32.

Soure: http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

NotLurking

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and do not forget an important point on that, because that is mostly not done by visitors:
aside of your homecountry drivers license you need also to carry with you your passport which proof's that you are in the country less than 90 days, otherwise the Amet which stops ya for a check does not accept your foreign drivers license as valid.
Mike