Not open for further replies.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
ok this is my first post to this forum
so me and my partner (gay couple ) have been going to Puerto Plata
since 2005
he come to Puerto Plata 2 times a year and have come to love the DR
we rent a car and drive drive and drive
we have made great friends in Puerto Plata we talk all the time on msn and call all the time
we hang out all the time at their place or the come and hang with us at the resort we stay in
we go and eat at all the local places drink shop hang out on sunday at the Malacon
we just love Puerto Plata and think this is the place for us
we would need to buy a house or a condo
sale are house in atlanta and everything we have we have a condo in west palm beach florida that we would keep just to have a place in florida and an address in the usa
we are just over the rat race in atlanta and really miss hanging with all the people we have met from locals to people who have moved from ENGLAND and HUNGRY and CANADA so i think we would have a great support system and people that could point us in the right direction
ok that is it for my first post
we will be in Puerto Plata november 22 till the 29th
38 more days and it is making me crazzzzzzy

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
I always count down the days too till I travel to the DR. I usually go 4 times a year and everytime I come back to Canada I always want to move down there. It always feels like home to be as soon as I step off the plane. The excitment starts as soon as I see the Island from the window on the plane.

18 more days and counting till I am back in Sosua!!!!

U guys have fun in Paradise and keep counting down the days it goes by really fast.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i feel like i am HOME

I well remember that feeling :) . Welcome to DR1. Be smart, do all your homework & research. Read, read, read, then use your visits here to cross check the accuracy of what you have read against what you experience. Rent somewhere first, don't be in a rush to buy. In a year or so there could be some great bargains, property wise.

I have never regretted our decision to move to Puerto Plata 16 years ago.

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
wow 16 years ago lucky you
what do you all do in pop
oh wait did you write a book about your move
i think i saw that in the forum not sure
i will read everything i can find
thank you
francoisatl

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, I did. If you've discovered that you're obviously researching these forums. Writing another right now. The others can come on & tell you what they do, but as far as we're concerned there are never enough hours in the day to get everything done. You need to plan that, though. I know there are expats who get bored until they find their feet.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I never get bored reading lambadas post's . I am waiting for my george foreman grill to heat up to optimum teperature to finish off my chicken wings !

And yes she is right once again, there are just not enough hours ...

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Congratulations, I know your feelings exactly. I don't know much about POP but with your attitude I am sure that you will do great. And you will be starting off with alot more than I had!
Good Luck to you and your partner,
SHALENA

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Franco,

Congrats on your decision. I live in ATL myself, and have really come to love the DR. While it's great to make friends with fellow expats, it's good to see you're stretching your wings early, and making Dominican friends as well. A few suggestions:

You've already been given the "rent first" suggestion. That's a bedrock principle down there. Definitely take your time before buying.

Also, you mentioned your love of driving. When/if you decide to buy, make sure there's enough money allocated in your budget. A good rule of thumb is to figure out how much you would spend in ATL, then double it. Really.

That assumes you're not importing a car. You know what the roads are like by now, so choose an appropriate vehicle. If you do import, remember it's gotta be a late model car, or else they either 1) reject it or 2) tax the heck out of it.

Best of luck,

DRob:glasses:

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
thanks everybody for all the help
and yes we would rent first then buy later
i have been looking at places online that i have seen for rent
some look good some are not so good
my good friend jose from pop and his wife from england will help us out
and make sure we are going in the right direction as well as all of are friends
in pop it has turned out 2 be a big group of them and we all hang out as much as we can we have had BBQs and on this trip in november we will roast a pig (never done that in atlanta)
have a great day in the DR
francoisatl

Status
Not open for further replies.