Canadian $$$ vs US$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadiansilver

Oct 16, 2008
Just that really, should I bring Canadian $$$ (I'm from Canada, eh?) or convert my $$ to US $$? When in DR should I carry US$$, Can$$ or DRpesos? How "usable" is travellers cheques in DR? IF I had my travellers cheques in Can$$ will it be any more inconvenient then if they were US$$?? If it matters, I will be spending most of my time around Rio San Juan, we are staying at the AI resort there but want to experience DR outside those pearly gates....

First time traveller (outside Canada) here people, be gentle! I have many concerns leaving the safety of my borders, but don't take me as close minded, just overly prepared.

PS. If you know of and sights or attractions we should take in around Rio San Juan, gimme a quick list. Thanks.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Just that really, should I bring Canadian $$$ (I'm from Canada, eh?) or convert my $$ to US $$? When in DR should I carry US$$, Can$$ or DRpesos? How "usable" is travellers cheques in DR? IF I had my travellers cheques in Can$$ will it be any more inconvenient then if they were US$$?? If it matters, I will be spending most of my time around Rio San Juan, we are staying at the AI resort there but want to experience DR outside those pearly gates....

First time traveller (outside Canada) here people, be gentle! I have many concerns leaving the safety of my borders, but don't take me as close minded, just overly prepared.

PS. If you know of and sights or attractions we should take in around Rio San Juan, gimme a quick list. Thanks.

I would still suggest changing you Canadian dollars in to US dollars. In Rio San Juan I sure you'll come out about 5% ahead even considering the fact that it will cost you 20% now to buy US dollars. The ATM's give the correct international exchange rate but the exchange houses devalue the Canadian dollar. As a fellow Canadian living here I have always brought US dollars.

In Rio San Juan there is a boat tour "Laguna Gri Gri" that you can take and if you ask they will drop you off at Playa Caleton a nice beach just out side of Rio San Juan for a fish lunch. Tip them [after they come back for you] and they will come back to pick you up after a couple hours if you want to swim there as well.

Have a nice vacation

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Being a fellow Canadian I would say leave the Loonies at home and bring US Cash. It sucks that the Canadian Dollar has gone down, but the US dollar is taken almost everywhere.

That reminds me...i need to change my money over. 16 more days and I will be back in the DR!!!!

Cheers

Sammy

wrightway

Mar 23, 2006
Another Fellow Canadian (that goes to North Coast: at Least twice a year) you are better off with US dollars - as Canadian Dollar exchange is still subject to an administration fee - so even if the rate is good - you end up with less.......

Better yet - if you bank at Scotiabank - use interac at the Scotia Bank in the DR - I found a difference of +4-5 cents on the exchange rate, at the machine, which is always nice when it is in my pockets.

Have a great trip and don't be to worried about your safety - the first time I travelled - I was overly cautious and let my fears rule over leaving the resort and enjoying the Domincan people. Use common sense - and you will be fine... the people are wonderful....

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I was there last week, and you have a better rate changing in Pesos in you have US dollars.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
I find this confusing for people when you say you get a better rate in pesos when you have US dollars. Of course this is true US 1 = 35 pesos, and with the CAN 1 = 29 pesos. But you are spending 17c for the US dollar, to exchange here in Canada. That means you are losing 11 cents. In my last 3 trips, ive of course, exchanged to US dollars here in Canada, as our dollar was at par or more than the US dollar. Trips beforehand, just took Canadian Dollar, and had no trouble exchanging to pesos.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Last week, canadian dollar was 26 pesos and american 35 pesos. I bought alot of american money when it was the same as canadian, so I have a reserve for years for my next trip.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i used to bring us dollars and now i only bring canadian dollars and change them for pesos

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I find this confusing for people when you say you get a better rate in pesos when you have US dollars. Of course this is true US 1 = 35 pesos, and with the CAN 1 = 29 pesos. But you are spending 17c for the US dollar, to exchange here in Canada. That means you are losing 11 cents. In my last 3 trips, ive of course, exchanged to US dollars here in Canada, as our dollar was at par or more than the US dollar. Trips beforehand, just took Canadian Dollar, and had no trouble exchanging to pesos.
What it means is that you will get close to the FOREX market rate for US$ but you will get less than the FOREX market rate for CDN$.
Changing CDN$ in the Dominican Republic used to be a terrible idea as they dinged you for 10-20% but it seems better now at around 5-10%.
Still better to take US$ and use the ATM IMHO.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
The Canadian dollar is way way down right now, so the exchange rate is going to be very poor

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
Canadian dollars are not really Dollars... more like pesos.

I am a Canadian so don't get mad. Bring US Dollars. The US Dollar rules all over the world. It is the the next best thing to gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.