Looking to purchase a handgun

elobispo123

Oct 17, 2008
i am looking to purchase a handgun fore no more then 50,000.00 pesos is that possible

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Are you sure?

I heard that no guns have been imported for years and now they are VERY rare and bullets even more so. A Glock for just over $1000? Wow!

I wonder if they do bulk order discount - Newbies can get one at cost::ermm:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Absolutely. There are a number of firearms stores in the capital near the HQ for the National Police. $1470 USD will get you just about any handgun they carry. I think I paid about that for one of my Glocks.
:

A Glock now costs 120,000 rd if you can find one. But you can get a handgun for about 50,000rd, but not a Glock or anywhere near that quality. Castellamonte is right about going to the area where Caribe Tours stops in the capital. There are several stores on the other side of the overpass.

To give you an example of the crazy prices, a 38 snub nose goes for 60,000rd.

Here is the phone number of the largest arms dealer in the DR. They have two locations, I am giving you the phone of the one near Caribe Tours. You can check prices with him. But sit down when you call, because you will not believe what you hear.

P.S @ Asociados, S.A. 809-221-9042---221-9045
Av. Francia No. 101

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Check out retailers adverts in the newspapers periodically. Not that long ago, I saw an advert for a snub nosed revolver (dubious brand) and 6 shells for $RDS18,000.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Stupid question I'm sure but do you need a permit or something to carry a hand gun?

First off, you need to be either a citizen or Permanent Resident to purchase one. You have to have two licenses, one to own the gun, and the other to carry it. There are several tests for these licenses. This has been covered before, use the Search function to find out more.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Not a stupid question at all.

While the Dominican authorities can be somewhat lax when it comes to driver's licences, or working without residency (but you need these as well), they are less tolerant of gun licence violations.

Simply put, if you get stopped at one of several road-stops where they check for weapons and you don't have an up to date licence for your gun, they will very likely confiscate it. Getting it back will be extremely difficult (they have been known to misplace them).

The following might be outdated by now, but here's how it worked for me:

The good news is that your gun store will sell you the gun with licence, which is to say they will send you with a runner to go get this document and that document (you need a urine sample, for example, so lay off the crack pipe for long enough to pee clean -- yes they make sure it is you peeing in the cup). They are used to getting permits, and are about as efficient at it as is possible.

Note that you will not receive your gun the same day, but will have to pick it up at the armory outside of Santo Domingo some days later.

The whole process is a pain in the ass, but given how expensive guns are, you really want to have your papers in order.

Note that renewing your licence is simplicity itself. Bring your ID and licence to Banco de Reservas, pay your fee and come back when they tell you to to pick up the new licence.

As has been mentioned, you need two licences: one to 'have' the gun, one to 'carry' the gun.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
yep!

Remember Glocks Are PERFECT pistols According to their Website LOL. you can get something for under $50,000 if you like those huge Military type guns Like the Carandais or the Huge Armscor 1911 Pistols, or anything that is single Action. The double Action pistols are the expensive ones! Rg. Glock,Sig,Smith&wesson, Even the Latin american made Double action pistols will Range about 85,000 And up!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
even by far not a glock fan,
all those light ways are modern age stuff, IMO,
yeap, they cost over 100.000 each if you look for a new one.
there are also some cheap latin american brands like the very popular(over here on the island popular) Bersas, they run for less than half the rate.
sure i realized that this is your first post and no answer or further question, yet.
so i would recommend to start to bring your papers in order and get a job,
if that job requires that you carry a gun on our streets, follow the above described procedures.
basically,
those 9mm's of any brand are not made for the street kids of foreign countries to come to the caribbean and shoot some fotos to show their friends at home by youtube what mature progress they made since highschool.
if you are serious about a firearm and have all papers aso ready, send me a PM.
if not,
buy direct TV, those movies are good.
Mike

Glock19

Apr 16, 2009
In a related subject...

Where can I get a convertion kit for a glock 19 at a reasonable price???

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Glock, which kitt?
do you wanna downgrade from the 9mm Glock to the cal22 for practice shooting or what kitt you are asking for?
generally such stuff costs you a heck of money here, very rarely used, mostly only used by a few firering ranges so they can use the cheaper smaller cal in the 9mm models. i had one such kitt for my 9mm Beretta 92FS, brought it in from Florida, been a p.i.t.a., the firearm failed often with the kitt, bullets stuck in the chamber.
which Glock are you using?
Mike

TheHun

May 4, 2008
hi Glock, which kitt?
do you wanna downgrade from the 9mm Glock to the cal22 for practice shooting or what kitt you are asking for?
generally such stuff costs you a heck of money here, very rarely used, mostly only used by a few firering ranges so they can use the cheaper smaller cal in the 9mm models. i had one such kitt for my 9mm Beretta 92FS, brought it in from Florida, been a p.i.t.a., the firearm failed often with the kitt, bullets stuck in the chamber.
which Glock are you using?
Mike

Mike,
The Glock 19 is a 9mm model. I use to own 2. Actually one was a 19c model.
The 19 is my favorite Glock. Not too small, not too big, not heavy, perfect carry gun. 15+1 rounds without extension.

Where can I get a convertion kit for a glock 19 at a reasonable price???

Glock 19,
E-bay use to be full of it, but I don't know if you can import one.
I have never see any here. You might need to ask in the gun shop.
Could you share where did you find/bought it? Price? I'm looking for one also. My other choice would be a Springfield XDm in 9mm.

Thanks,

The Hun

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike,
The Glock 19 is a 9mm model. I use to own 2. Actually one was a 19c model.
The 19 is my favorite Glock. Not too small, not too big, not heavy, perfect carry gun. 15+1 rounds without extension.

Glock 19,
E-bay use to be full of it, but I don't know if you can import one.
I have never see any here. You might need to ask in the gun shop.
Could you share where did you find/bought it? Price? I'm looking for one also. My other choice would be a Springfield XDm in 9mm.

Thanks,

The Hun

thanks Hun,
my mistake, did not read carefully enough the original post which states clear Glock 19, and that's of course the 9mm.
to import accessories for firearms isn't easy.
last year i got even trouble to bring in a spare clip, of course without the shots, they tried to explain that no piece for a firearm is allowed to be imported by a non licensed dealer, after some discussion and showing the gunpermit and my marina batch they let it go.
the Glocks like my fav Berettas run very expensive, around 180.000.- for a used one(no new ones available). even my small and handy 380C Taurus i saw the other day in a gunshop in st dgo for incredible 140.000.-, and that been an old 1998, while mine is the 2004.
prices for the used stuff are incredible.
for the Taurus i've been lucky, paid just 25.000.- plus the traspaso, a real deal.
the Glocks are top and reliable, but on the 9mm i prefer the length and weight of a gun, that's why i prefer the Beretta 92FS or also named M9.

Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Parts????

I wonder if its possible to take Parts on ones Person say In a maleta or so. Small Parts Like Trigger, Extractor, Hammer assembly, Safety lever, and recoil Spring????? I mean Small parts like that shouldnt be a problem Im guessing???

Any insight would be great.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
it is always everything possible,
as long as you don't get caught while doing something illegal.
i don't know about the laws of other countries in case of exportation of such parts, in case of importing such into the DR you would act against the law in case of FIREARMS, don't see such thingies as a small thing like a parking ticket, at least i would not risk to find out how such really will be handled.
btw,
what ya wanna do with those small parts like a trigger and the springs?
sure those can be hidden with some laptop accessories aso,
but to finally get a complete gun together you would also need the bigger parts.
and you could never legalize that in parts brought in weapon.
neither would a legally over here purchased gun be longer legal with the modifications of i.e. cal reduction or such, it would be a illegal gun, the firearms regulations are very clear on such.
at arrival airports here where handluggage on arrival will not pass a scanner most likely nobody would find your small pieces, maybe not even a complete gun, ha ha, but at the departure airport prior to boarding the luggage will be scanned.
we should not discuss here on the bord the illegal importation of anything.
you think you need a gun for what ever reason and are able to handle it to carry one, purchase it here. if somebody is in the need to carry a firearm around he can afford to pay 3-5KUS$ to purchase a legal and reliable weapon. if not i would guess it is anyways not needed to have one.
Mike

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Actually mike i have 2 firearmes with Porte and tenencia all up to date. i was wondering small options changes like the ones mentioned. at no point did i mention modifications of cal. i ask for simple Changes such as wider trigger, Worn Recoil spring broken extractor Etc. to get the pistol back in full working order.
Now why would it be illegal? now if it were a barrell or a frame thats something completely illegal and would never dream of it nor have i mentioned anything of illegal intent.
the parts are to interchange from a used Hipower clone i purchased recenty in poor condition But for the price RD$10k + traspaso LOL Why not.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I believe it's been years since guns were sold on EBAY. They've been prohibited for as long as I can remember.

Conversion kits are NOT consider as a gun. In the US the "gun" is only the part which is unites the major gun parts, mainly the receiver which has to include a serial / registration number. And anything that is not a gun (receiver) is only a paper weight. A conversion kit ( including the slide with the barrel and magazine(s) just a paper weight, no restrictions to buy-sell.
The only thing is why do you see less and less gun part on e-bay is because PayPal refuse to do transactions for any gun parts.
Even today if you have a a stripped Glock receiver you can buy any parts for it on ebay, including magazines, barrel, trigger, connectors, springs..etc.
For gun buyers there is gunbroker dot com ;) There you can get your piece. (within the legal limits and transfers between FFL holders)

The Hun

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Actually mike i have 2 firearmes with Porte and tenencia all up to date. i was wondering small options changes like the ones mentioned. at no point did i mention modifications of cal. i ask for simple Changes such as wider trigger, Worn Recoil spring broken extractor Etc. to get the pistol back in full working order.
Now why would it be illegal? now if it were a barrell or a frame thats something completely illegal and would never dream of it nor have i mentioned anything of illegal intent.
the parts are to interchange from a used Hipower clone i purchased recenty in poor condition But for the price RD$10k + traspaso LOL Why not.

on that you are right and it makes sence of course.
when reading your post about parts/pieces i had the prior posts in mind to bring convertion kitts and my thinking/understanding went on like "o.k., they can not bring a full kitt, now they wanna bring the same nut piece by piece", lol.
10K Pesos plus traspaso is a present and well worth to bring it in shape which makes any gun again worth a nice amount of money.
i was lucky to purchase the 380 Taurus(model/year 2004) for only 25K plus traspaso, the gun been in top/near new condition, no marks on, i don't think it had been shot 100 rounds in it's whole lifetime, it had only one owner prior to my purchase.
what is not allowed to change without presenting the gun again at ballistics is the barrel.
where are you living?
i've been few years back with several guns within a short time period at a guy in Higuey who works a really good job, he get's you the original parts if you wish and he is making many pieces on his own also.
Mike