Computer question re: wireless internet

A

apostropheman

Ayudame por favor! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

I recently stumbled upon an IBM laptop and once i converted it from simple Chinese and got a power adapter...

It's now got XP Pro, SP3 and all the up-to-date drivers but will only connect to the internet when wired directly to my DSL modem.

I connect my other computers, Vista and XP, through my wireless router but this IBM will not connect. I have tried wireless connections and wired from the WLAN on the wireless router without success. My other computers easily connect regardless of the configuration. I'm using the same properties setup as my other XP machine and I have also tried other wireless sources but no connection.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
More info please! All IBMs have a Type and a Model. For example An IBM Think Pad 600x is:
Model: Think Pad 600x
Type: 2645

You first have to determine if the laptop has a built in wireless adapter and what type it is so you can find (on the internet) and load the correct device driver. For example not all laptops have build in wireless adapters (usually mini PCI). The IBM Pentium III 500MHz Think Pad 600x I listed above doesn't have build in wireless. Most newer models do have wireless and that is why we need more info.

I'm stepping out for some pizza -- kids are buggin' me :) If you haven't figured it out by the time I'm back, I'll help you then.

NotLurking

A

apostropheman

Thanks!

More info please! All IBMs have a Type and a Model. For example An IBM Think Pad 600x is:
Model: Think Pad 600x
Type: 2645

You first have to determine if the laptop has a built in wireless adapter and what type it is so you can find (on the internet) and load the correct device driver. For example not all laptops have build in wireless adapters (usually mini PCI). The IBM Pentium III 500MHz Think Pad 600x I listed above doesn't have build in wireless. Most newer models do have wireless and that is why we need more info.

I stepping out for some pizza -- kids are buggin' me :) If you haven't figured it out by the time I'm back, I'll help you then.

NotLurking
It's an IBM R51e, 1832-A29

It has wireless, I can see that the light for it is on.

The Network adapter is an "11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter".
No other brand name given.

I believe I have all current drivers and nothing in the device manager is either yellow or red to indicate a problem.

A

apostropheman

It's an IBM R51e, 1832-A29

It has wireless, I can see that the light for it is on.

The Network adapter is an "11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter".
No other brand name given.

I believe I have all current drivers and nothing in the device manager is either yellow or red to indicate a problem.

There is also a "Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet" adapter.

When I plug it into the router it says it has limited or no connectivity.

When I try wireless it searches for IP but never resolves.

If I plug directly from the DSL modem it works fine after I logon.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
I'm not a guru but you might try seeing if the device is "controlled" by another program other then Windows. That is the problem I had...once the program was uninstalled. ( the program was Odyessy..not sure of the spelling)...Windows was able to control my wireless card. Just some food for thought.

A

apostropheman

Thanks!

I checked and there are no "conflicts" so I don't think that's what's happening. I have not installed and removed a bunch of software either, it's a fresh install.

Thanks for the idea though!
I'm not a guru but you might try seeing if the device is "controlled" by another program other then Windows. That is the problem I had...once the program was uninstalled. ( the program was Odyessy..not sure of the spelling)...Windows was able to control my wireless card. Just some food for thought.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
First, go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. There should be 3 tabs at the top, the middle one being "wireless networks".

Is this tab there? If it is, make sure there's a check in the box for "Use windows to config...."

If it isn't, post back as there are additional steps.

A

apostropheman

Thank you!

First, go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your wireless adapter and choose properties. There should be 3 tabs at the top, the middle one being "wireless networks".

Is this tab there? If it is, make sure there's a check in the box for "Use windows to config...."

If it isn't, post back as there are additional steps.
Yes, the tab is there and the box is checked.

What do you suggest for the next step?

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
When you right click on the adapter (in control panel) what options are you given? Does it say enable or disable?

If you choose "view available networks", what is the result?

If this computer successfully connects by lan, right click on your other internet connection in control panel (LAN). Choose properties and double click on TCP/IP or TCP/IP4 if you've got 6 installed. Is it set to obtain everything automatically on the LAN connection?

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Hmm... Can't edit. Ok, just reread your post #4. It looks like you've got security enabled on your router. Have you put the key or passphrase into this laptop?

Check to see if MAC filtering is enabled on your router as well. This would prevent the laptop from connecting to the router.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure you'll have to manually assign it an IP address if your router isn't set up for DHCP server (hand out an IP to a computer that connects).

Go into the properties of one of your other computers that connects and doubleclick on the TCP/IP settings. I'm betting you'll find manually entered stuff there. If so, you'll have to do the same with this laptop (different IP, but same subnet and gateway)

A

apostropheman

Hi again!

When you right click on the adapter (in control panel) what options are you given? Does it say enable or disable?

If you choose "view available networks", what is the result?

If this computer successfully connects by lan, right click on your other internet connection in control panel (LAN). Choose properties and double click on TCP/IP or TCP/IP4 if you've got 6 installed. Is it set to obtain everything automatically on the LAN connection?
Hola,

it says enable for device usage.

When viewing available networks I see many networks including mine...it just refuses to connect.

The LAN also says enable. It successfully connects only when connected directly to my DSL modem. It does not connect to my router.

The TCP/IP is all set 2 automatic.

Strangely my other computer connect thru the router as well as modem when wired and can connect thru wireless....just not this IBM.

Colour me confused! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Check the post just before your's. I couldn't edit.

I'm pretty sure you have security enabled on the router.

A

apostropheman

Hmm... Can't edit. Ok, just reread your post #4. It looks like you've got security enabled on your router. Have you put the key or passphrase into this laptop?

Check to see if MAC filtering is enabled on your router as well. This would prevent the laptop from connecting to the router.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure you'll have to manually assign it an IP address if your router isn't set up for DHCP server (hand out an IP to a computer that connects).

Go into the properties of one of your other computers that connects and doubleclick on the TCP/IP settings. I'm betting you'll find manually entered stuff there. If so, you'll have to do the same with this laptop (different IP, but same subnet and gateway)
Okay, I see this post now...

I do have security/encryption on the router but that info is entered on the IBM, same as on the others that work.

I have also tried it wide open and with no security but it still will not connect. I can see the router using wireless but cannot even access the router using its address like I can from the other computers, when wired from the router to the laptop.

I did not have to enter anything else manually, it's all automatic.

I have tried anything and everything that I thought of, researched the internet, had 2 friends try and assist me...but :pirate:

There is something stopping this IBM from accessing the router but we have not found it yet...but I bet we will! :)

A

apostropheman

This is my machine here
IBM Personal computing support - ThinkPad R51e 1843-A29 support

<table width="427" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td>
c.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td width="427">Product: ThinkPad R51e 1843-A29
</td> </tr><tr> </tr> <tr> <td>
c.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="427">Operating system: All
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
c.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="427">Original description: Based on 1843-3MC: P M 750(1.86GHz), 256MB RAM, 60GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1024x768 LCD, ATI Radeon 200M, CDRW/DVD, 802.11bg wireless, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Home
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
I'm going out now, but one last post.

Did you check the TCP/IP of your other computers? If your router is set up as a home network, you might have assigned IP addys on the other two computers. Codetel usually sets it up as Gateway 10.0.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 IP 10.0.0.XXX

Also, again make sure MAC filtering isn't enabled in the router.

Lastly, a long shot: Go to Start, Run... and type services.msc

Make sure the service DHCP Client is running.

A

apostropheman

I'm going out now, but one last post.

Did you check the TCP/IP of your other computers? If your router is set up as a home network, you might have assigned IP addys on the other two computers. Codetel usually sets it up as Gateway 10.0.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 IP 10.0.0.XXX

Also, again make sure MAC filtering isn't enabled in the router.

Lastly, a long shot: Go to Start, Run... and type services.msc

Make sure the service DHCP Client is running.
Thanks again!

I did check the TCP/IP on both of the others and nothing is assigned.

I'll check for MAC filtering but I don't believe that it is enabled. I'm wired from the modem to the IBM as I type this so I'll have to change my setup to double-check.

The DCHP is enabled in the TCP/IP advanced setting under IP settings and has started and is set to automatic.

Frustrated...you bet!

Grateful for all the assistance though!!! :):bunny::bunny:

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Ok good job guys you tried all the things I would've tried. Thank Fishguy for the good help! apostropheman, just one basic thing I didn't see you guys try and perhaps it could help is to download the driver from IBM site and reinstall the wireless device driver.

If re-installing the driver doesn't work, we can also try a remote desktop. a remote desktop allows me to take over the laptop to check or set anything on the laptop just as if I was physically on the laptop. It'll work because you can connect the laptop to the modem directly. Try the driver re-install and if it doesn't work and you would like to try the remote desktop let me know.

NotLurking

A

apostropheman

Ok good job guys you tried all the things I would've tried. Thank Fishguy for the good help! apostropheman, just one basic thing I didn't see you guys try and perhaps it could help is to download the driver from IBM site and reinstall the wireless device driver.

If re-installing the driver doesn't work, we can also try a remote desktop. a remote desktop allows me to take over the laptop to check or set anything on the laptop just as if I was physically on the laptop. It'll work because you can connect the laptop to the modem directly. Try the driver re-install and if it doesn't work and you would like to try the remote desktop let me know.

NotLurking
Thanks NL,

I just reinstalled the driver moments ago and still nada.

I'd be interested in trying remote desktop, a little later. I'll be out for about 20-30 minutes.

When I return let's give it a go.

Thanks.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
apostropheman, One more thing, when you get back do this for me:

• right click on My Computer
  • click on Properties
  • click the Hardware Tab
  • click on Device Manager button
  • expand Network adapters by clicking on it
  • find your wireless adapter and right click on it
  • click on Properties
  • Click on Detail tab
  • finally copy and paste the info that you see there

The info should look something like this:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_135B103C&REV_02\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2

Also click on the Driver Tab and post the Driver Provider, date and version.

NotLurking