first time driving to santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
brace yourselves, my fellow dr1ers, i have a license and i am not afraid to use it :cheeky:
yesterday miesposo let me drive his car to santiago. i found it a pleasant trip, by all means. miesposo, on the other hand, seemed to take it badly. i think this one hour has shortened his lifespan more than his cholesterol level ;)
i did ok-ish, keeping in mind that i have had little practice. miesposo all the time kept on murmuring "drive faster" with occasional "SLOW DOWN!!!!" - men, they can never make up their mind :cheeky: i admit i was going too slow, about 50 miles an hour on average but i do not have enough experience to be able to control the car well when at high speed.
the worst moment was when i hit a big hole, a crater, in the middle of the street. i did not see it until the last moment so i took it almost at a full speed, any smaller car would end the trip right there.. but it turned out that apparently it it better to do it at high speed than with the breaks on. :ermm:
in any case, i managed. and i will learn to do better. :cheeky:
thank you for reading.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Congrats on your accomplishment!;)

Couldnt have been too bad if your hubby came back with you!

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
Well done, anyone who drives to and through Santiago deserves a medal. Having said that, you sound like my wife and I would be driving back as well.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
DV8,
i am a Male,
so take it 150% from the positive side.
a asure ya he's been satisfied with your first testride.
at least from the reading of this great sunday afternoon post
i assume he took ya with him when He drove back???
that meens he will let ya drive again,
one day,
somewhere,
o.k.,
yes, i am still laughing,
hey, not about you,
just about my imagination of the whole ride.
a little tip from a male who will not even think about a license for the Mrs:
don't ask him right away next weekend to leave ya the car to drive with some girlfriends to Santago for some shopping, ha ha.
just let some time pass by.
he..,
have to stop now.
have a great sunday eve
Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
little correction, i only drove TO santiago, just before the city we changed seats, miesposo has little patience to direct me and we had little time to do many things...
and mike, not only he took me back home with him but he also bought me 3 pairs of shoes :bunny:
maybe that was to make me never drive again?

the other day i took the car to go to the salon, coming back i gave miesposo car keys with the words: "the longest and most nervous 2 hours of your life are over" :cheeky:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
no no no
3 pairs of shoes could just mean his way to tell ya what a good driver he thinks you are.
of course we would never tell such in words,
hey,
at leas WE are the man and know how to drive since birth, ha ha.
next day at the salon could mean both:
* what i stated above been a good guess
* 2nd: he gave up and counts anyways on a soon dead, so the car doesn't matter that much anymore, ha ha
Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Driving in Santiago is paradise compared to driving in Santo Domingo.
True, dat.

I have a friend that lives in SDQ, and travels to large cities in Asia often. He says traffic in SDQ is worse than in any City in Asia, and is equal to traffic in India. Not good.

There are only 2-3 bad traffic areas of Santiago, IMO, all around/on Estrella Sadhala. Beyond those, it's not so bad.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Dv8, Congratulations! I learned to drive and got my first license in the US (my, now ex-husband, was with me all the way through this painful process and he almost had several heart attacks and nervous breakdowns :devious::mad::dead::, maybe that is why he is now my ex ????? :confused::paranoid:)

Back in Europe my ex-bf taught me how to drive, and now he is my ex too :ermm:

Well, I wish you and tuesposo all the best rides in the future. May you too still be together forever after all this ;) :bunny:

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
True, dat.

I have a friend that lives in SDQ, and travels to large cities in Asia often. He says traffic in SDQ is worse than in any City in Asia, and is equal to traffic in India. Not good.

There are only 2-3 bad traffic areas of Santiago, IMO, all around/on Estrella Sadhala. Beyond those, it's not so bad.

There is no way SD is as bad as Asia. Having driven in India Thailand and Bangladest DR is a dream. In India it is whoever has the biggest vehicle that goes first round the roundabout, HGV first, buses second, cars then motorcycles followed by pedal cycles and finally one of the numerous cows that roam free on the roads. Bangladesh is the same except you don?t necessarily all go round the roundabout in the same direction.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
There is no way SD is as bad as Asia. Having driven in India Thailand and Bangladest DR is a dream. In India it is whoever has the biggest vehicle that goes first round the roundabout, HGV first, buses second, cars then motorcycles followed by pedal cycles and finally one of the numerous cows that roam free on the roads. Bangladesh is the same except you don?t necessarily all go round the roundabout in the same direction.
i double that Dos Amigos.
the traffic in the DR is compared to a worldwide competition by far far far not the worst around the globe. it is different compared to those modern countries with a separate law each squarefeet of highway, yes, and for 'drivers' no more experienced than to drive easy 3-8 lanes very wide highways a bunch of practice is needed before they start to feel comfortable and get a overview in DR traffic.
but hey,
such drivers need a long while also to get used to a stretchy german highway at 100+mphr.
happy driving
Mike

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Driving in Santiago is paradise compared to driving in Santo Domingo.

You are so right about that. We often drive from POP to SDO. But the first time, once we hit SDO my husband almost had a heart attack from the traffic craziness. Now he can wheel with the best of them. I'm not about to even think of driving there. But we do share the driving on the open road. Usually on the return trip from SDO, I take over the wheel as soon as we get out of the congested part of of the city and hit the open road. He trusts my driving so much that he reclines the seat and takes a nap until we get from SDO to the edge of STI and sometimes all the way back to POP.

Congratulations dv8 on your accomplishment! Soon your husband will be snoozing while you drive too! Just remember to always expect the unexpected.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so far it looks that if i ever want to off him discreetly the only thing i need to is to drive him to SDQ :)
i only drive inside of POP and i do ok, mostly because i know which streets are one way in which direction (not that it matters to other drivers) and which street have right of way (optional, of course). i could get from one shop to the other in santiago, possibly without even damaging our car but i'd rather do it alone, i think that miesposo may find my city driving abilities a good ground for divorce...
SDQ - if i had no choice i'd drive there but i'd rather not. maybe if we can afford a tank? or at least a fully armoured truck? ;-)
btw, i watched one miesposo's grandmother drive to a mitsubishi dealership in santiago. on one crossroads she hit two cars (bumped into them) and then did not quite fit into the gate. she's 80... :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so far it looks that if i ever want to off him discreetly the only thing i need to is to drive him to SDQ :)
i only drive inside of POP and i do ok, mostly because i know which streets are one way in which direction (not that it matters to other drivers) and which street have right of way (optional, of course). i could get from one shop to the other in santiago, possibly without even damaging our car but i'd rather do it alone, i think that miesposo may find my city driving abilities a good ground for divorce...
SDQ - if i had no choice i'd drive there but i'd rather not. maybe if we can afford a tank? or at least a fully armoured truck? ;-)
btw, i watched one miesposo's grandmother drive to a mitsubishi dealership in santiago. on one crossroads she hit two cars (bumped into them) and then did not quite fit into the gate. she's 80... :)

wooaahaha
believe me,
it's not the age, lol.
Mike

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
what is the big deal about driving here? I rather think its easier to drive here than in USA. I don't have to watch my speed, no worry about indication, don't have to stop on red lights after dark if no police or on-coming traffic visible. I go wrong way on one way streets, i slow down on stop signs and often don't stop at all, no worries if my lights are working or not, I care less about police here, don't even stop if the cops have a road check. I do worry when my horn doesn't work. thats a major breakdown.
So what is the big deal about driving here?
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
what is the big deal about driving here? I rather think its easier to drive here than in USA. I don't have to watch my speed, no worry about indication, don't have to stop on red lights after dark if no police or on-coming traffic visible. I go wrong way on one way streets, i slow down on stop signs and often don't stop at all, no worries if my lights are working or not, I care less about police here, don't even stop if the cops have a road check. I do worry when my horn doesn't work. thats a major breakdown.
So what is the big deal about driving here?
AZB

bingo...one reason i actually like driving there. do what you want when you want!!

But I seldom drive as fast in the DR as I do in america. I always drive 70-80 mph on the highways here...but It seems way too fast for the DR..i dont know if it is a subconscious thing...or I am worried about the car having a malfunction at a high rate of speed or what

plus even with all the deer around here.... i worry more about hitting an animal in the dr...especially a big animal...as i have already t-bones a huge horse!!

bad bob