Mailing Barrels to Puerto Plata?????

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
I know a friend who used to live in POP and had a barrel mailed to her in POP from her folks in Toronto.... for 150$
My husband and I want to know if anyone knows a contact or information on how we could mail a barrel from Ontario to Dominican Republic? How much? and when?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was trying to find that post. Yes you can ship a barrel and fill it with whatever you want to ship to the DR. Food,clothes whatever. I'll try to find that thread. ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks Anna,
so i am still not drunk and understood that we talk about a real barrel with what ever in it, ha ha.
what's the point to use a barrel(metal?) instead of lighter luggage?
would say every pound counts towards the shipping costs.
what is inside will fall under the same import/shipping laws than anything i assume.
or is there a dominican or canadian special barrel law i don't know about??
Mike

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
what barrel??
barrel of crude oil?
barrel of gold?
barrel of ...
ha ha,
sorry, looks like i missed the point
Mike

Sorry I should of been more specific...
We want to send down a barrel of clothes or things, you know for the kids and we have TONS AND TONS of clothes for babies, and adults, it would be nice to ship it down in these plastic blue barrels and they can have it all..
I heard it was 150$ to mail it no matter what is inside unless its electronics...
:)
Thanks Anna I really appreciate

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Does this really HELP?

Wouldn?t that $150 pretty much buy MORE here in the DR? I don?t know about all these people sending down food, used clothing, etc, etc. It deprives the local businesses, deprives the local economy, is an ecological disaster (think of the OIL).. Used Clothing is one thing that the country has plenty of... This money doesn?t go to anything productive, really, does it? Goes to Canadian and US business, .... Better than it should go to education of the kids here..... tell me where my thinking is off ...

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
Wouldn?t that $150 pretty much buy MORE here in the DR? I don?t know about all these people sending down food, used clothing, etc, etc. It deprives the local businesses, deprives the local economy, is an ecological disaster (think of the OIL).. Used Clothing is one thing that the country has plenty of... ...

The reason we would send down used clothing and stuff down to his family, is because my husbands family litterally have nothing...
They dont have $ to buy the use clothing there, for used pair of pants there its approx 100 to 200pesos depending... AND my husband and I just bought 9 pairs a beautiful ladies pants styling pants all for 9$ Canadian.. Thats 9pants for 270 pesos... That is clothing for his sisters, mother, neices.....
I would never send food down.. But i have bins and bins and bins of baby clothing that was handed to me all name brand, and rather then sell it here or pass it on to rich people here I rather see a poor dominican family USE IT!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
used jeans over here: 50 pesos
used shirts: 30 pesos
used shoes: 50-100 pesos
if you double the above shown prices they get that used stuff in original brands,
but i think branding is not the theme, just wanted to add that.
me and some friends bought a few weeks ago in higuey at the Iberia supermarket brand new Levis 501's(of course false branded) for 99 pesos a pair, NEW ones.
if the family is poor they sure know where to buy, it's no secret, everybody does.
if you allow a poor family a $100.- for clothing they will def bring home a huge load of good clothing suiting them very nice.
and that would be less than some stuff costs just for the shipment/brooker/shipper aso.
i like a lot your idea of assisting that families, that's great, so please don't get me wrong or feel offended.
i know the spots where i can get the imported original top brands for a heck of big bucks and i know the low places where most people buy and how much it costs.
good luck
Mike

Jan 9, 2004
The plastic barrel trade....

Wouldn?t that $150 pretty much buy MORE here in the DR? I don?t know about all these people sending down food, used clothing, etc, etc. It deprives the local businesses, deprives the local economy, is an ecological disaster (think of the OIL).. Used Clothing is one thing that the country has plenty of... This money doesn?t go to anything productive, really, does it? Goes to Canadian and US business, .... Better than it should go to education of the kids here..... tell me where my thinking is off ...

to the D.R. is big business.

These barrels do not contain petroleum or distillates, but may have contained olive oil or other food related products at one time.

The real reason they send these barrels as opposed to cardboard boxes is the fact that when emptied the barrrels now become a Tinaco.

These barrels usually contain food/clothing, but they also usually contain a DVD player, Playstation, Ipod, small appliance, etc. Items which seem to price out 2/3 times higher in the D.R.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
I have the #

Just wanted to say that on my flight to Dominican Republic in December, we met the guy that owns the business of shipping stuff to Dominican.
HE gave us his card, and for 100 to 150$ u bring it to him in Toronto and he brings it right to the door of the address in D.R.
If anyone would like the $ and Name i have it..

Thanks

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Tinacos!

to the D.R. is big business.

These barrels do not contain petroleum or distillates, but may have contained olive oil or other food related products at one time.

The real reason they send these barrels as opposed to cardboard boxes is the fact that when emptied the barrrels now become a Tinaco.

These barrels usually contain food/clothing, but they also usually contain a DVD player, Playstation, Ipod, small appliance, etc. Items which seem to price out 2/3 times higher in the D.R.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks so much for this answer, Playacaribe2! You have completely changed my mind about the barrel business....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just wanted to say that on my flight to Dominican Republic in December, we met the guy that owns the business of shipping stuff to Dominican.
HE gave us his card, and for 100 to 150$ u bring it to him in Toronto and he brings it right to the door of the address in D.R.
If anyone would like the $ and Name i have it..

Thanks

Go ahead and post it here so we'll have in future when the question comes up again.

Thanks

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Great idea, thanks!

Anybody wanna buy two empty HDPE "tinacos" when they get there next month?