Calling cards to the U.S?

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
We have a cell phone, but we need a calling card to call the States without using the cell phone minutes, and we need to anonymize the number (so clients don't know we're out of the country), which I believe calling cards do.

Where is the best place to get a calling card? We're in Sosua

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
why just not go to a call center? It is very affordable (i dont think I've ever paid more than 40 pesos). THe only thing is that the 809 area code MIGHT show up. I'd try calling a friend first and ask if the area code comes up.

Just a suggestion...sorry..i dont have info on calling cards. THere are a couple that I use here in the US...but when in the DR I just use the calling centers.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We have a cell phone, but we need a calling card to call the States without using the cell phone minutes, and we need to anonymize the number (so clients don't know we're out of the country), which I believe calling cards do.

Where is the best place to get a calling card? We're in Sosua

You do know that if you are using Orange (cell phone), calling the States will cost you the exact same amount minute per minute than calling across the street here in the DR?
You would therefore not gain anything by using a calling card with your Orange cell phone (if that's what you're using).

You can "anonymize" all outbound call from your cell phone by dialing #31# and then the number you wish to call and press "send" or "call". You may also be able to set your cell phone to block your ID on all outbound calls.
Calling from a calling card will show either a 1-800 number or some "funny" numbers like "00019" on the other side... which WILL indicate to the called person that you may be calling using either a VOIP service or a calling card.

As far as rates go, I can only tell about Orange... I don't know about the other providers. But I believe that #31# works on most if not all cell phones.

... J-D.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you living here or on vacation?

If living here, you should consider getting a Vonage phone. I have one with a 518 number, showing that I am calling from the Albany-Schenectady, NY, area.

I pay about US$20 a month and can make 500 minutes of calls to anywhere in US and Canada, plus unlimited incoming calls. For a few dollars more I could have unlimited minutes and also call some European countries.

People living in the US and Canada can call me at same number, so cost to them much less than if calling to the DR. Also, many people now have unlimied calling in the US as part of their plan.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in case you live here,
stick with the advice from Ken.
i have a phonage, too,
30 bucks per month plan,
unlimited in and out calls to the US and Canada and several european countries, they have different world plans available in case you need to call several countries once in a while.
mine is a 305, that's a Miami area code.
they are available for nearly all area codes, so you decide where you wanna be connected.
JD,
so said it about orange which i don;t have(just a little backup plan on the wife's cell phone, in case mine stops to work for what ever reason), but i can say the same about my own cellphone connected as a fix plan with Claro/verizon/codetel(whatever their actual name may be, lol), calls to the US and Canada are on mine even cheaper than calling a cell phone here in the country.
so if the question is asked for holiday purposes, use your own cell phone, take a local chip in, block your outbound ID and nobody knows where you are calling from.
somebody mentioned 40 pesos per minute in a prior post,
i would cancel my contract on such rates, i pay actually around 5 pesos per minute including taxes from my cellphone to any phone within the US and Canada, around 15 pesos per minute for calls to europe(landbased phones or cell phones the same rates). and those rates are not that new, i use that plan since very long years, sure it's going up once in a while, when started i paid 1 peso plus tax per minute to the US and Canada.
good luck
Mike

PBJ27

Sep 17, 2008
Cell Phones

I am confused...what company has unlimited calling to US? Do you use your own cell phone? Would appreciate any info, Thanks