cell phone questions

angelas

Oct 19, 2008
Does the iphone work in the Dominican? If I buy an iphone in the states, can I have it activated in the dominican? How would they take over the coverage? Thanks

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Does the iphone work in the Dominican? If I buy an iphone in the states, can I have it activated in the dominican? How would they take over the coverage? Thanks

I'll say this before HB does, Dominican is only half a name. The country is called the Dominican Republic. A dominican is someone who lives in the Dominican Republic.

angelas

Oct 19, 2008
That's useful. Obviously, you don't know the answer to the question. I will tell everyone in the states, that they have to call it "The United States of America"

Mar 2, 2008
Angelas,

Don't shoot the messenger. CyaBye was just telling you the same thing a hundred other people would tell you eventually. When you are asking a question about the Dominican Republic it is just common etiquete to refer to the country by its correct name. The Dominican refers to a person from the Dominican Republic.

Since the iphone is a relatively new product, I'm not sure of the type of SIMS card it requires. More than likely you will need to buy a new SIMS card and either an international calling card or a local cell company number (Claro, Orange, etc.). You will have to ask a Dominican what you will need for a SIMS card once you are in the Dominican Republic.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
AngelaS,

First, welcome to DR1!

The availability of the iPhone was discussed a few months ago. You can find it at http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/78192-iphone-coming-august.html.

In addition, a quick check to the Apple Store at Apple - iPhone - Choose a Country shows that while service is planned for the DR, they haven't quite gotten there yet. When it happens, you'll likely see service provided through Orange.

And while CyaBye may have been a bit direct for your tastes, most Dominicans and others refer the country as "Dominican Republic", "DR," "RD," or "Republica." To refer to it as something else is telling others you're very new to the country. It would be a little like calling the U.S. "United" or New Zealand "the New."

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

DRob :glasses:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006

An unlocked and preactivated iphone will work in the DR. If yours it not unlocked it will not work.

Sep 19, 2005

if it is IN the DOMINICAN..........I am pretty sure that would qualify as a dead zone......

of course that depends on wether it is TOTALLY in, or just partially in...

if it is a very BIG dominican...it might not get the reception needed, but if it in a skinny dominican, you still might get a signal

good luck

bad bob

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
if it is IN the DOMINICAN..........I am pretty sure that would qualify as a dead zone......

of course that depends on wether it is TOTALLY in, or just partially in...

if it is a very BIG dominican...it might not get the reception needed, but if it in a skinny dominican, you still might get a signal

good luck

bad bob
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
But why is it that when I correct someone for that mistake, you guys jump on ME!?!
I feel sad.......
SHALENA

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Your phone will work in the DR.

When you arrive in the country, you phone provider in the US will switch to Orange network. Make sure you go online to check prices your provider charges for International calls (incoming and outgoing). You won't want any suprises when you get your bill. Charges are outrageous.

curlyq

angelas

Oct 19, 2008
That is fine, you can ridicule me as much as you desire. I was told this was a very good informational site, but I have my doubts!

I was trying to buy a few IPhone's for a couple of friends, did not want to be stuck with phones that I do not need. My IPhone works just fine in the D.R.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
An unlocked i-phone will work as a PHONE with any GPRS cell provider (buying a new chip with a local phone number). However you will most likely not enjoy internet access features like in the USA.
You may be able to roam with your US AT&T service but there may again be limitations as to web access. You may need to check with your provider to see if they can offer roaming in the DR (yep, it's DR) and to what extent and at what rates. you may also have to ask your provider to activate roaming for these types of countries, if roaming is an option you would still wish to contemplate after learning about their rates.

... J-D.

Mar 2, 2008

My IPhone works just fine in the D.R.

I must be missing something. If your Iphone works fine in the DR why were you asking your original question? Where did you buy your Iphone, and did you have anything special done to it? Just get the same thing for your friends.

Also, other than one post, I didn't see where anyone was ridiculing you. Maybe it is just a matter of perception, but the posts I read were simply offering advice, some might have been pertinent and some not so much, but you have to expect to take the good with the bad on a public forum.

angelas

Oct 19, 2008
I must be missing something. If your Iphone works fine in the DR why were you asking your original question? Where did you buy your Iphone, and did you have anything special done to it? Just get the same thing for your friends.

I wanted to know if a brand new IPhone (not unlocked........straight out of the box) would work there. I pay the roaming rates in D.R. The issue here is that I do not want to activate an IPhone in Florida, I would prefer just buying the phone and giving it to them to do whatever they need to do.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I do not believe you can walk in to The Apple Store or ATT&T and purchase the phone without a 2 year contract. So you will have to purchase it in the black market, or on eBay...and yes it will work in DR. Roaming on a US account is going to be quite costly on a regular basis.