English possibly moving to DR. Any advice?

KatieT

Oct 19, 2008
I live in England and have been home from the DR for a week. Without wanting to sound over dramatic, i am a changed woman!

I have fallen in love with the place! The people, the music, the dancing, the language! So much so, infact, that i got the reps at the hotel to make me a cd of some Merengue and Bachata music, i am starting Salsa/merengue lessons next week, and i have enrolled in Spanish lessons at our local college!

What a beautiful place, and how nice are the local people? The men are a little forward, i grant you, but i got used to it and i think it's just there way. I spent the whole week learning Spanish with the hotel staff and have amazed them at work coz i've practically learned half a language in a week! I love it! Everything about the dominican is so sexy.

However, the downside to such a wonderful holiday is that i am now in the depths of depression as its freezing here. At the moment the only thing thats getting me through is the fact that i'm going to go again ASAP!

Has anyone got any advice for finding English employment there as maybe a tour operater or something? I'm seriously considering it but don't know where to start...

Katie

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
*Sigh*

Ohhh Katie, Katie,Katie....

You have been bitten by the DR Love bug, everyone on this great forum has a big love for DR in one way or another...the depression...it doesnt really go away, it may fade a bit after the third time around-trip that is...

I remember my first trip, kinda felt like you do right now, looking at purchasing property, finding a job similar to what i have now (and same expectations paywise etc..) yeah...not happenin, not anytime soon either thanks to my trusty RRSP'S going down the drain.

Lol and the spanish lessons, both in class and online, my bird actually picked up more than me, he keeps saying" no entiendo" it's quite amusing!
I think that you will learn a lot from the expats, they will guide you in the right direction when you are ready...as far now, i suggest, plan your next vacation, scope out the property and have fun!! DR is not going anywhere.

Just be smart and know what your intentions are, and i wish you the best of luck! It's not hard to fall in love with such a beautiful Country.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The men are nice in the resort areas for one reason - they want your money and for you to take them from this "paradise". There are many examples of this here in this forum.

Take salsa, learn Spanish and then visit the real DR where the real Dominicans live. As a gringa, you will still have Dominican guys lining up for you, but they won't all take all of your money, leave you after getting their residency and give you std.

Reactions: Lapurr

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I take it this is a joke post.....how could you learn half the spanish language in a week

KatieT

Oct 19, 2008
Ok. You've got me. I may be over exaggerating a tad.....but it was not a joke post i can assure you!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok. You've got me. I may be over exaggerating a tad.....but it was not a joke post i can assure you!

Katie do not move till you have taken many trips outside the resort to see what life is really like.

You make very little money there so if you have a good job, work, save and take many trips first.

Oh yes and like Chiri said take a look at the mars/venus forum and you'll see how many women find the men at resorts charming ;)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Decision to relocate after one week vacation in All-Inclusive resort.

Cool.

I like the drive.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am no expert but when I decided to move to DR I had not yet been to a resort. I think I may take a trip soon to see what all the fuss is about! I went once but no sankies approached me, maybe because I was with other Dominicans (sexy ones, with caramel skin and blue eyes YUM!).
Anyway, I wish you the best...think everything out (but not too much or you won't do it).
From what I hear, you have to be very careful in resort areas. Mind you, there are conniving people everywhere but there seen to be more per capita in tourist areas. Learn spanish and then you will learn it again here because Dominicans put there own little twist to everything.
But again, good Luck! When is your timeline for moving?
SHALENA
"Vaina Bakana pa' Gente Bakana!"

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Katie your job options are as follows.

1. Scuba diving instructor. Pays between 1000 - 1500 us$ a month. You would normally need more than one language. Sometimes accommodation is provided.

2. Tour rep. Thomson or First Choice or Thomas Cook all operate here. Contact them but I don't think you can request DR. You go where you are told.

3. Call centres. Pay about 800 us$ a month and not really situated in tourist areas. Check the threads for that.

4. Teacher - 800-1500 a month

So learn spanish plus learn to scuba dive!!! Come back here a few times more to different places and talk to different people and make some contacts.

Matilda (also english who moved here 8 years ago!)

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Katie, only do it if you have an 'escape' plan. This is a lovely country and the people in general are nice. However, it is hard to make a living. Without knowing your educational / professional background, do you really think you can live happily on the pay rates as indicated by Matilda above. I do need to quote a famous writer of our time. T Turner 'What's love got to do with it.'

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Katie,

I felt the same way when I first visited the DR. I was at an AI and feel in love with the country and the culture. I went through " vacation withdrawl" as I call it and planned my next trip right away. Let me tell you, this wears off after time. It is still exciting to go down and I go about 4 times a year. ( back again in 12 days!!!! :cheeky: ) I don't stay at the AI anymore, I know what it is like outside of the vacation fantasy of one. Take my advise and everyone elses, think about this really hard, stay outside of a resort and take in the culture to make sure this is really what you want. Read everything that you can on here about the skanies, the living and everything else.

Glad to hear that you loved it as much as everyone else on here. Have fun planning your next trip!!!

Cheers

Sammy[/B]

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Katie

Being a woman, working in this country can be difficult. First there is finding a job, which isn't easy, particularly if you want to have a decent standard of living and enough money to eat out and go dancing as you say you want to do. Fluent Spanish is a must. Without this, your employment choices are limited to (almost) nil.

The cost of living is rising at a rapid rate in this country. You only have to look at the news to know that the world is in economic turmoil. History will tell us that in times of economic downturn, the first thing that people stop spending money on is luxury items and travel. Tourism is a major employer in this country. If things get worse internationally, particularly in the USA, this will have a major effect on the DR. I am certainly no economic expert though, but think it is important to take these factors into consideration when contemplating such a major move.

I have had some major problems with male Dominican work colleagues who have not taken too well to having a woman on the management team, much less a foreigner! I am certainly no push over, but the bullying, sexist remarks, undermining and aggressive behaviour of SOME Dominican men have certainly taken their toll on my health. I know my situation is not uncommon as I have met other expat women who have experienced these things, although in most cases, a lesser form.

My boyfriend came with me when I relocated, so I haven't had the 'fun' of the singles game here, but I have several single, intelligent, gorgeous expat female friends - and I will say that I certainly don't envy their position! The stories I have heard of deception and theft by locals have been many, and these are from women who I consider intelligent and street smart.

Take the advice of the people who have posted here. Visit many times, away from the 'tourist' areas. Live amongst the people and if possible, live as you would expect if you were to live here. You may very well be surprised as to how difficult life here can be.

Being a tourist here is one thing, and I certainly don't want to 'burst your bubble', but the reality of this country is very different once you actually live here.

I wish you all the best.