Big Helium bottles... where?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I might need to acquire some Helium in the future. I have seen some large bottles at toy stores (to inflate balloons)... so, I assume they are available.

Can anyone share a commercial source for large (commercial size) Helium bottles and refills and maybe even some pricing idea? Preferably near to Puerto Plata (Santiago?).

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Have you called Oxigeno Dominicano??

HB

Thanks HB, I did. They don't have it (so the guy I got on the phone said), but they recommended a company called "Empresas Industriales" (Santo Domingo?). I researched them over the net, but did not find them.

I Also called "Linde Gas" in Santo Domingo... they don't have it either (the guy on the phone there actually sounded like he understood what I was looking for) and they too recommended "Empresas Industriales" but didn\t have a number.

So I am still looking.
does anybody on here have contact information for "Empresas Industriales"?

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
EMPRESAS INDUSTRIALES C POR
J Duquela S.D.

Tel?fono(s) : (1) (809) 594 8306

Also try ABBY GLOBOS TODO EN HELIO, OXIGENO Y EQUIPOS0
J De Galindez 80 S.D.

Tel?fono(s) : (1) (809) 788 5198

I looked up 'gases' here on paginasamarillas.com
Gases TodoslosPaises >> PaginasAmarillas.com >> PUBLICAR

I am usually good at e-searches... but this once you really managed what I could not even just seem to be able to get somewhat close to.
Thanks Ma'm... I'll call'em all up tomorrow!

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am usually good at e-searches... but this once you really managed what I could not even just seem to be able to get somewhat close to.
Thanks Ma'm... I'll call'em all up tomorrow!

... J-D.

De nada, buddy. And if you're acquiring a helium blimp (zeppelin) for a new tour or something, please please can I be co-pilot on the proving flights? No I wasn't around for the Hindenberg...............:cheeky:

I've already flown in a hot air balloon here so an airship would complete the list of things to fly in!

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Ginnie on her best, ha ha.
JD,
where you wanna fly to?
or if not,
what ya wanna blow up with that stuff?
Mike

I don't plan to fly... Lambada does :D
You can't blow up anything with Helium (HE), it's a noble gas, not inflamabler (to the contrary of the cheaper hydrogen).

I am toying with an idea I've schlepped around for quite some time... If it hatches... I'll let you know. But yes, it's a blimp and Lambada has just volunteered to be my test pilot.

De nada, buddy. And if you're acquiring a helium blimp (zeppelin) for a new tour or something, please please can I be co-pilot on the proving flights? No I wasn't around for the Hindenberg...............:cheeky:

I've already flown in a hot air balloon here so an airship would complete the list of things to fly in!

You know, we might just try that... if Grahame agrees to help pay for the gas... I'll have to pass on the ride however, I don't do test flights, but I know you can fly... but then... blimps don't really fly, now do they?

Btw... it's Hindenburg... well, it was :bored:! When are you Awggsferders ever gunna learn to tawk rite? :D

I got to call the gas Co's now.

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
EMPRESAS INDUSTRIALES C POR
J Duquela S.D.

Tel?fono(s) : (1) (809) 594 8306

Also try ABBY GLOBOS TODO EN HELIO, OXIGENO Y EQUIPOS0
J De Galindez 80 S.D.

Tel?fono(s) : (1) (809) 788 5198

I looked up 'gases' here on paginasamarillas.com
Gases TodoslosPaises >> PaginasAmarillas.com >> PUBLICAR

OK. Empresas Industriales SA has a guy working there who sells Helium and realated stuff as a side business.
Incidentally, he is the guy behind ABBY GLOBOS etc... too.

they sell the gas by the pound (Libra). At RD$ 6.50/Lbs. I have not been able to get a conclusive answer to WHAT that pound is supposed to mean... a Lb of liquid HE or is it pressure or displacement, as they claim to put in between 1000 to 2000 Lb into a large bottle... you know the size which looks like the industrial welder's bottle which may hold around 20Gal.

It's all a bit new to me... I have never been a big fan of gas anyway. :eek:gre:
I think I will need to visit them to investigate.

If somebody has some knowledge about the physics and calculations relative to gases, please share!

Thanks!... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
David,
Led Zeppelin inhailed others than helium if i remember right, he he.
up to 2000 lbs of helium in a 20-25 Gal's dominican styled bottle/tank sounds heavy duty, but i don't no either how much helium get's compressed to be stored/filled.
interesting Q's.
Mike

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
some research on how Helium is being sold/

From bellow chart posted on a US helium company, I am led to believe that Helium is sold in the US by the volume it can fill... which is kind'a like you would pay at your car's gas pump by the miles you could run instead of the Gallons filled :ermm: ?

Anyway... the ONLY mention of Pounds (Lbs) I can see in on all the charts and offerings I could find so far, is the pressure for a given potential fill volume... in PSI (pounds per square inch).

403_capacity_table.gif

hmmm... J-D.

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
JD : gases are sold in different ways in different countries but are sold in the ways you describe. When a gas is sold as a liquid it is sold in gallons or in pounds. For example refrigerant (commonly and incorrectly referred to as freon) is sold in the US and in DR by the pound. Propane is sold in DR by the gallon; it is sold in the US usually by the pound and sometimes by volume. This only happens when it is run through a meter like at your home. Gases are therefore sold in liquid form by the pound or by the gallon because this is an easy way to measure them. Once the propane is removed from the tank, to be used in your stove or water heater, it turns back into gas and that is the way it is burned.
The pounds of pressure you mentioned in your post have to do with the actual pressure in the tank. This makes no difference to you because all gases fill their tanks with different pressures (nitrogen, oxygen, refrigerant 22, propane). Sorry I can't remember the conversion formula for helium but I hope I was able to help you somewhat.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
JD : gases are sold in different ways in different countries but are sold in the ways you describe. When a gas is sold as a liquid it is sold in gallons or in pounds. For example refrigerant (commonly and incorrectly referred to as freon) is sold in the US and in DR by the pound. Propane is sold in DR by the gallon; it is sold in the US usually by the pound and sometimes by volume. This only happens when it is run through a meter like at your home. Gases are therefore sold in liquid form by the pound or by the gallon because this is an easy way to measure them. Once the propane is removed from the tank, to be used in your stove or water heater, it turns back into gas and that is the way it is burned.
The pounds of pressure you mentioned in your post have to do with the actual pressure in the tank. This makes no difference to you because all gases fill their tanks with different pressures (nitrogen, oxygen, refrigerant 22, propane). Sorry I can't remember the conversion formula for helium but I hope I was able to help you somewhat.

That's what I suspected... until our Dominican Helium dealers tells me he will pack 1000 to 2000 pounds of gas into ONE bottle!
I tried several ways to ask him what he meant by pounds... liquid or what.
Since we buy GLP (liquid) in Gallons, I would have loved for him to be able to tell me in a concise way how much liquid HE I will get for X Pesos.
The thing for me boils down to be able to evaluate how much it will cost for me to inflate a blimp.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OK. Empresas Industriales SA has a guy working there who sells Helium and realated stuff as a side business.

Why do I get a little alarmed when I hear this.........:)

The amount of helium you will need depends on size of blimp. Some specs here
Mobile Airships

Mobile Airships

Love this bit 'Inflate slowly! Never open the helium tank valve to the point that the flow of helium makes a high pitched screeching noise and violently flaps the balloon material, which could result in unnecessary wear to the product.' :cheeky: Not to mention the high pitched screeching & violent flapping of the onlookers................

I offered only to be a co-pilot (I don't have an airship rating on my licence). :ermm:

And remember helium shrinks in cold temperatures and expands in warm ones..........ok ok I get the symbolism but I'm thinking safety. :laugh:

Suggest you email an expert like Paul Adams paulblimp@cox.net

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
ok JD now I see what you want to do. You said that the guy sells helium by the pound; ask how many pounds go into the tank. The tank is then weighed after filling. You will need to determine the volume of the tank somehow, maybe by looking it up on internet and convert your weight to cubic feet.
Ultimately, the chart above should tell you how many baloons you can fill. Then maybe figure out how many baloons your blimp could hold. Volume = length x width x height for a cube. To find volume of a cylinder V = the number PI (3.14) x height. good luck

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
oops hope my eighth grade teacher forgives me

:( sorry got distracted thinking about coming "home" next week. The correct formula for that volume of a tube is pi x half the diameter x height.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
ok JD now I see what you want to do. You said that the guy sells helium by the pound; ask how many pounds go into the tank. The tank is then weighed after filling. You will need to determine the volume of the tank somehow, maybe by looking it up on internet and convert your weight to cubic feet.
Ultimately, the chart above should tell you how many baloons you can fill. Then maybe figure out how many baloons your blimp could hold. Volume = length x width x height for a cube. To find volume of a cylinder V = the number PI (3.14) x height. good luck

I just checked... the big welder type cylinders hold about 41 Liters, which translates to roughly up to 90 Lbs of liquid material.
I thought it could be a little more, since our 100Lbs LPG cylinders hold about 20 Gallons of liquid gas.
Anyway, as I stated, I find it to be in NO relation to the 1000 to 2000 pounds our local Helium guy says he can put into one of his party cylinders he rents for inflating balloons! This rationale is what started all my asking about HOW Helium is being sold.
So, I went and checked sellers in the US. And that's where I saw that MOST will sell Helium by the cubic footage it will inflate under normal circumstances. The same large "welder type" bottle then is marketed as a 290 cubic foot bottle! Obviously this can again NOT be the size of the bottle but the size of the expanded gas.
I know the sizes (fill volumes) of the airships I am looking at, so that would be a funny but OK way for me to estimate my gas needs and costs.
The issue at hand is, to know how much LIQUID gas I have to buy to inflate and at what rate per pound (liquid) or volume (liquid liters or Gallons) @ so-and-so many pesos.

Yet, the local Helium peddler with his 1000 to 2000 pounds of gas cramped into a 41 Liter bottle obviously does not help me much in finding what I am buying and how much I need. Hence mine wondering if there was some insider gas dealer's way to understand HIS rationale.

Yes, it's funny when a coworker of a company referred as potentially selling gas, is then referred to me as the one selling the gas... as a little biz on the side.... and then turns out to be the man behind the other gas and balloon outlet. But then, this is the DR. :D

J-D.

havinfun99

Oct 20, 2008
JD the guy telling you about the psi of the tank is what is confusing you. That is irrelevant. Different gases have different pressures in the tank. Refrigerant 12 ( the old refrigerant for cars ) has only about 100 psi in the tank; nitrogen could have over 10,000 psi. The important part is the number of gallons in the tank. Once you know this you must convert the liquid to gas (need to find that formula somewhere) and that will tell you the cubic feet that the cylinder will produce.
In your post you said 290; maybe that is the answer. You are right about the tank not being 290 cubic feet but when the liquid helium comes out, the gas takes up much more space.
Looks to me now you just need the volume of your "spaceship".

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
JD the guy telling you about the psi of the tank is what is confusing you. That is irrelevant. Different gases have different pressures in the tank. Refrigerant 12 ( the old refrigerant for cars ) has only about 100 psi in the tank; nitrogen could have over 10,000 psi. The important part is the number of gallons in the tank. Once you know this you must convert the liquid to gas (need to find that formula somewhere) and that will tell you the cubic feet that the cylinder will produce.
In your post you said 290; maybe that is the answer. You are right about the tank not being 290 cubic feet but when the liquid helium comes out, the gas takes up much more space.
Looks to me now you just need the volume of your "spaceship".

Understood, and we agree.
So, I'm back to square one with this guy, as he seems to want to sell me 1000 to 2000 pound of who knows what in a 40 Liter bottle :ermm:.
I will have to visit him and clear up things. It's good I now know what it CAN'T be.

:D

Thanks! ... J-D.