Do I need a cedula?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OK- I have been here 4 years (with regular trips back to the States) and have decided to stay. I want to get a car. So I will have to get a Dominican drivers license, right? So I will have to get a Dominican cedula, right? In order to have insurance, right? And then I will have to renew that residency every two years? And pay a tax? I have done a search and scan on this but am still a bit confused.

So can you help me out?

I figure that it will cost me about US $1200 for the lawyer (Guzman) for the residencia, is that the going rate? (and if someone has a lawyer who does it for less, please PM me).. Then how much will it cost every year? And how many years do I have to renew this for? Why am I doing this????? (OK, as you can see, I am going to need a lawyer since the mere thought of this process has me all twisted up!!)

OK, then, assuming that I ever get together the half a zillion bucks to buy a used SUV here (ok, say $12k US)-- can anyone give me an idea of how much it will cost to insure it? First to just insure it for liability, then for replacement?

Thanks -- I know this went into two topics.... let?s stick with the residencia... I don?t have the half a zillion right now anyway....something about a small stock crash.... in a distant land....

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
PLEASE tell me where you found a used SUV for 12K USD...I need one
SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
used SUV for 12k USD is an easy thing but it will be old (like, 10 years). and insurance will still be high. and no credit from the bank - i believe they only help to finance cars that are less than 5 years old, isn't that so? check supercarros for going prices. insurance will depend on a car (how old and what type).

residencia, you pay the going rate twice, once to start and then the same for renewal. afterwards you can either do it yourself or pay considerably less.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the mentioned rate for the residencia with the mentioned lawyer(reputable, stick with him) is usual.
your first residencia will be for 1 year, named the provicional residency.
then the same process and same bucks again for the definitive residencia.
she has to be renewed every 2 years, easy process, basically just paying the tax and all is done. you get your cedula wth the first residency, the cedula is valid for much more years than the residency and expires always on your birthday in the year printed on the cedular front on big numbers. my last cedula i renewed in 2006 and is valid til 2010. my wife renewed 2008 and is valid til 2018. i saw many different time frames of validation on the cedulas of many friends, don't know how they measure for how long they will be renewed. than longer than better. renewal of cedula is like with the recidency hasslefree, pay the taxes and all is done.
for the drivers license ask around and chat with people who did that lately, i heard huge differences in the named rates to do so.
good luck
Mike

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Residency. If you have lots of free time, can communicate in Spanish, do it yourself.
If you have a job and don't have hours of free time, get a lawyer to do it for you.

Lot's of people on DR1 have obtained their residency via Fabio Guzmans law firm.
You pay for peace of mind, knowing it will be done right and be 100% legal.

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
again you here many conflicts on this. I hear from many that are doing it. they simply bought a used car, had lawyer check and guarantee clear title and just needed passport info and local adress to register and insure vehicle. No residency was required.Not an expert on this but seems rather simple from those who have done it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
again you here many conflicts on this. I hear from many that are doing it. they simply bought a used car, had lawyer check and guarantee clear title and just needed passport info and local adress to register and insure vehicle. No residency was required.Not an expert on this but seems rather simple from those who have done it.

Yes, but if you get into an accident the insurance company will probably not pay as you are driving with a foreign license when your tourist visa technically expired.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have been here three years and still don't have my cedula. I bought a car shortly after arriving and have been stopped many times by the AMET and they look at my papers and let me go.

Nonetheless, I currently am in the process of getting my residency, which I did mostly by myself.

Assuming you speak Spanish there is no reason you shouldn't try it yourself. The main challenges will be getting your birth certificate translated and certified in a Dominican consulate of the place of your birth and a guarantor letter. Other than that the rest is a piece of cake. You are welcome to call me and ask questions and I will walk you through it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Another intelligent post by the Chipster!

I have been here three years and still don't have my cedula. I bought a car shortly after arriving and have been stopped many times by the AMET and they look at my papers and let me go.

That's all well and good, you basically invited anybody on the WWW to have an accident with you and extort you since you are not technically insured.

amigo,

tambo'

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's all well and good, you basically invited anybody on the WWW to have an accident with you and extort you since you are not technically insured.

amigo,

tambo'

Tambo is correct. The AMET has nothing to do with paying Insurance claims. They will accept a license from any country.

Reactions: Tamborista

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I guess you guys missed the following statement:

"Nonetheless, I currently am in the process of getting my residency, which I did mostly by myself."

no apologies necessary.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

"Nonetheless, I currently am in the process of getting my residency, which I did mostly by myself."

no apologies necessary.

That will not help you with your insurance company if you get in an accident before you get your residency. By the way, how long have you been in the process of getting it seeing as you are doing it without a lawyer?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

no apologies necessary.

Why not ask your insurance carrier if you are insured before you toot your bugle? Perhaps ask Sr. Guzman in the legal section.

tambo'

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
According to immigration in the capital, once my application has been accepted I'm considered a legal resident. All I am waiting for is to them to notify me to pick up my cedula. I applied in June and it was a piece of bizcocho.

My statement about not having residence was just that - I'm not condoning it of course, and if I was I certainly would'nt have gone throught the process of getting legal residency.

For the record, if you are going to be here for any length of time in the DR and planning on driving your best bet is to get residency.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
OK- I have been here 4 years (with regular trips back to the States) and have decided to stay. I want to get a car. So I will have to get a Dominican drivers license, right? So I will have to get a Dominican cedula, right? In order to have insurance, right? And then I will have to renew that residency every two years? And pay a tax? I have done a search and scan on this but am still a bit confused.

From my experience:

1. To BUY a car and even to register it to your name you do NOT need a celdula.
  2. To drive more than 6 months after your arrival, you DO NEED a Dominican driver license. To qualify for such license legally, you need to be a legal resident, hence a cedula. Some vehicle insurance may insure you and your vehicle for up to 6 months..., actually, they will gladly rake in a full year's premium, but they may decline coverage after 6 months in case of a loss if you can't show a Dominican license.
  3. Your provisional residence permit has to be converted into a permanent residence.
... J-D.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
From my experience:

1. To BUY a car and even to register it to your name you do NOT need a celdula.
  2. To drive more than 6 months after your arrival, you DO NEED a Dominican driver license. To qualify for such license legally, you need to be a legal resident, hence a cedula. Some vehicle insurance may insure you and your vehicle for up to 6 months..., actually, they will gladly rake in a full year's premium, but they may decline coverage after 6 months in case of a loss if you can't show a Dominican license.
  3. Your provisional residence permit has to be converted into a permanent residence.
... J-D.

6 months?? Has the law been changed, wasn't it 90 days

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I was given a 6 months allowance by the insurance company... in writing, signed and sealed by the director, as per my request.
I've heard various opinions as to the legal limit, even from lawyers.

... J-D.

And so did I. I have even heard from the Transito terrestre Dept. that if you have a prorroga of your tourist card you are allowed to drive