Not quite bored yet... but getting that "and now what?" feeling

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I, am here (in Puerto Plata), now for almost 2 years.
Before I came here, I had a building company in Spain for 5 years and was also a consultant to developers and communities fighting excessive or abusive development. Before that I lived 6 years in Southern Florida and was involved with investing in Real Estate too. And again before that I lived in Ecuador and participated in agricultural projects (balsa wood and later roses) as well some minor building... and, and and. Besides being multi lingual, I have a solid technical education and experience with marketing and sales and I have been able to apply and expand and all this at most locations around the world I lived and worked.

But here, I haven't really done much more but helping some kids to go to a decent school, doing some minor consulting work, teaching an architect how to draw roofs properly and investigating my region's real estate market only to come to the conclusion that I am not a buyer yet. I am also not yet ready to get used to not making money anymore.

I don't want to declare that I am bored, especially since it is my personal opinion that boredom is nothing but a self inflicted depressive disease or sign of mental numbness and I also don't want readers to feel invited to commiserate me on my currently developing state of mind... but yes, I do have that "and now what?" feeling.

So, should I post this on the "employment" section or just ask here: Am I the only one?
I would be interested in meeting people which are equally minded, pro-active at least.
I am looking to get myself involved in something which makes sense.
I could also imagine working for somebody or some company too but I am not sure this is the ideal route to find "employment".

Anyway... open thread.
(PM or e-mail welcome too)

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If I'm not mistaken you are looking for work not out of financial need but just to keep busy more or less and do something productive.

If that is truly the case, you should consider working as a professor in one of the local universities. All you will need is a bachelor's degree and of course speak Spanish well enough. I'm sure you will find this quite rewarding.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
If I'm not mistaken you are looking for work not out of financial need but just to keep busy more or less and do something productive.

If that is truly the case, you should consider working as a professor in one of the local universities. All you will need is a bachelor's degree and of course speak Spanish well enough. I'm sure you will find this quite rewarding.

Actually Chip, I've been considering ATTENDING university and study law... something that I've wanted all my life but wasn't favored by my family.
Then, we in Puerto Plata, don't have an "adult" university... I'm told that at 42, I'm too old (Santiago has a UAPA).

I may not need to make money right away, but as I said, I am not yet ready to get used to not making any anymore either... That, I am too young for.

But yes, I have been thinking about teaching, only that from the insight I have in universities like UASD, I am not sure I would accept some of the behavior I have had the questionable privilege to witness of some professors or even the direction.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What;s wrong with PUCMM-POP> there on Separaci?n St...

Of course, POP is limited..

TAke care,

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Actually Chip, I've been considering ATTENDING university and study law... something that I've wanted all my life but wasn't favored by my family.
Then, we in Puerto Plata, don't have an "adult" university... I'm told that at 42, I'm too old (Santiago has a UAPA).

I may not need to make money right away, but as I said, I am not yet ready to get used to not making any anymore either... That, I am too young for.

But yes, I have been thinking about teaching, only that from the insight I have in universities like UASD, I am not sure I would accept some of the behavior I have had the questionable privilege to witness of some professors or even the direction.

... J-D.

You can be 100 year old, as long as you pay the fee it's not a problem, you don't need to go to UAPA, you can go to UTESA in Puerto Plata.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
What;s wrong with PUCMM-POP> there on Separaci?n St...

Of course, POP is limited..

TAke care,

HB

Nothing wrong I'd know of, Sir... just that I thought the one in Puerto Plata was a school only... not a University. Am I wrong?

You can be 100 year old, as long as you pay the fee it's not a problem, you don't need to go to UAPA, you can go to UTESA in Puerto Plata.

I didn't know that... I'll check it out.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Marilyn Baade

Mar 11, 2004
Your quest for "something more" is endemic - it is not just you but almost every person I speak with. I think it is the economy and I have some philosophical thoughts about that but won't bore anyone with them. Ironically, I'm planning to move to the DR to overcome the inertia. I consider myself forewarned!

With regard to studying law, do it if you love it, but be realistic about opportunities thereafter. The profession is generally conservative and is rather inflexible in accepting non-traditional entrants into the profession. Unless you plan to hang out your own shingle or are willing to be creative about what to do with such a degree, firms aren't interested in an older "new" attorney.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ironically, I'm planning to move to the DR to overcome the inertia. I consider myself forewarned!

Unless you plan to hang out your own shingle or are willing to be creative about what to do with such a degree, firms aren't interested in an older "new" attorney.

Allow me ... you're not living in the DR but in the 2nd sentence you're passing along advice as if it is valid everywhere .. on the whole planet?

Yeah! you have some inertia to overcome. It is called a north american centric vision. ;) There are other windows to the world you know!

To the op .. go and search out a thread from Rocky... I don't recall the title exactly but it is something like ... 'So, you're bored in Sosua'

Reactions: Bronxboy
A

apostropheman

Please allow me...

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/66534-so-youre-bored-sosua.html
Allow me ... you're not living in the DR but in the 2nd sentence you're passing along advice as if it is valid everywhere .. on the whole planet?

Yeah! you have some inertia to overcome. It is called a north american centric vision. ;) There are other windows to the world you know!

To the op .. go and search out a thread from Rocky... I don't recall the title exactly but it is something like ... 'So, you're bored in Sosua'

Reactions: Tamborista

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

... J-D.

Isn`t it that only dominicans are allowed to be abogados in this country? Or it is only rumours?

Gente with better knowleage will correct me if necessary.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Isn`t it that only dominicans are allowed to be abogados in this country? Or it is only rumours?

Gente with better knowleage will correct me if necessary.

I believe it's the bar exam... but I am not sure. But by then, I may qualify for citizenship by the time I may graduate.
You know, maybe it's just that I'm tired of paying lawyers! Or maybe I could go into politics? :D

... J-D.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I believe it's the bar exam... but I am not sure. But by then, I may qualify for citizenship by the time I may graduate.
You know, maybe it's just that I'm tired of paying lawyers! Or maybe I could go into politics? :D

... J-D.

To my unconfirmed knowleage aquired citizenship does not count. They want to keep this green pastry of unlimited abuse and corruption for original Dominicans only.

But I did not see any law to this respect. Just was told by a lawyer.

If this information is not correct- I apologize in adance. I am not about to make up stories nor spread rumours.

I see two reasons why to relocate to DR - ocean/beach and girls. If any of the two disappears or gets boring - I see no reason to keep being here. Expense wise there are places much cheaper to live.

India, Egypt, Tunisia, Thailand, Vietnam, Kampuchia.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
To my unconfirmed knowleage aquired citizenship does not count. They want to keep this green pastry of unlimited abuse and corruption for original Dominicans only.

But I did not see any law to this respect. Just was told by a lawyer.

If this information is not correct- I apologize in adance. I am not about to make up stories nor spread rumours.

I see two reasons why to relocate to DR - ocean/beach and girls. If any of the two disappears or gets boring - I see no reason to keep being here. Expense wise there are places much cheaper to live.

India, Egypt, Tunisia, Thailand, Vietnam, Kampuchia.

Uh-Oh, I am not attracted to either one of those!:squareeye:squareeye
SHALENA

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Uh-Oh, I am not attracted to either one of those!:squareeye:squareeye
SHALENA

Sorry my favourite princess! I had to add also "caramel skin blue eyed sexy boys".

Hereby I am entering this amendment to my previous post.

Thank you for reminding, princess!

(Oh why don`t I have caramel sexy skin and erotic blue eyes!!?? Sigh... Sigh... Sigh...)

leehall

Oct 24, 2006

... J-D.

There is no bar exam in the DR (hence the abnormal number of lawyers in the country) and there is nothing to stop a foreigner from becoming a lawyer e.g. Lisa that works in G Perdomo's office, but I can't remember if she is a citizen or a resident.

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
i feel like throwing some ramdon thought

"You know, maybe it's just that I'm tired of paying lawyers! ",

Well, depending on the kind of legal issues, most legal procedures can be carried out pro-se, on your own right, at least in the USA.

"civil procedures" are very specific rules you can read [in the USA available on the web for any state and he Federal District Courts], If you have been to courts in a few cases, they will sound familiar to you.

you can visit the court and read a case (or a few) related to the type of 'case' you are interested,

you can go to court and see and listen how hearing are carried out.

read jurisprudence (available over the internet, but dont know about
DR yet) related to the kind of case you are interested, search by key words, accident, difamation, breach contract etc, and see how supreme courts apply the law,

in any allegation it is always good to quote the agency rule or law that apply and jurisprudence resolving similar case.

contract or legal binding agreements samples are available
NOLO.COM is a good site to start

As far as ""and now what?" feeling", I usually ask myself what i like to do best, and go back on track...

...existentialism... disorientation when facing what seems to be a meaningless world, people turn to religion or charity work, staying busy doing what we like

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
There is no bar exam in the DR (hence the abnormal number of lawyers in the country) and there is nothing to stop a foreigner from becoming a lawyer e.g. Lisa that works in G Perdomo's office, but I can't remember if she is a citizen or a resident.

Thank you for clarification. My erroneous assumption is withdrawn.

Feb 7, 2007
i
Well, depending on the kind of legal issues, most legal procedures can be carried out pro-se, on your own right, at least in the USA.

Pro-se is not available inthe DR. You can not even do motions (amparos), or anything pro-se. Not even Habeas corpus. You need a lawyer. YES! The green pastures for skimming the milk (people).

I have done Pro-se in civil case in a U.S. federal court (plaintiff) against a foreign company, was just "playing" to see how it went (the case was dismissed after 1 year) but it was a very rewarding experience. I don't like studying law but I like to be knowledgeable about law (kind-of-semi-professional) and I like doing things myself instead of paying the lawyer. In the DR it's posisble to some extent, but at the end, the lawyer has to sign ANYTHING you prepare (again, no pro-se) and he gets your money either way (ok, just some, not the same $$$ he would get when he would do all the work)... so just my 2 eurocents

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

Well, depending on how you look at it, you are both right AND wrong. DR Law #821-27 dealing and detailing the Judicial organization of DR, states that you MUST be a Dominican citizen, among other things, to practice law (be a lawyer) in DR. However, foreigners can become naturalized Dominican citizens under Art. 11(4) of the current DR constitution hence complying with Law #821-27 Article 1.

So, YES a foreigner can go to law school here and practice law in DR but has one obstacle to overcome. S/He must obtain Dominican citizenship to comply with law #821-27 Art. 1. Also, if interested on being a lawyer have a look at Law 91.

(Ley No. 91-83 de fecha 12 de enero de 1983, Legislaci?n sobre el Colegio de Abogados, que instituye el Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana.)
http://www.suprema.gov.do/pdf/leyes/1983/ley_91-83.pdf

Ley No. 821 del 21 de noviembre de 1927, de Organizaci?n Judicial y sus modificaciones

CAP?TULO I DISPOSICIONES GENERALES
SECCI?N I
Art. 1.- Nadie podr? ser nombrado para desempe?ar ning?n empleo judicial en la Rep?blica, si no es dominicano, mayor de edad, de buenas costumbres, y no est? en el pleno goce de sus derechos civiles. Se except?an en cuanto a la edad, los mecan?grafos, conserjes y mensajeros, que podr?n serlo a los diecis?is a?os.
Source: http://www.suprema.gov.do/pdf/leyes/1927/ley_821-27.pdf

Also have a look at the following modification to law #821:
Ley No. 141-02 de fecha 4 de septiembre de 2002, de modificaci?n a Ley de Organizaci?n Judicial.
http://www.suprema.gov.do/pdf/leyes/2002/ley_141-02.pdf

ARTICULO 11.- Son dominicanos:
4.- Los naturalizados. La ley dispondr? las condiciones y formalidades requeridas para la naturalizaci?n.
Soure: http://www.suprema.gov.do/codigos/Constitucion.pdf

NotLurking

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Maybe have a chat with known foreigners working as lawyers here before you go down this route, JD? For example Dr. Christoph Sieger partner of Guzman Ariza's law firm or the Italian lawyer Ricci in Puerto Plata?

Or maybe I could go into politics? :D
... J-D.

I think you're too nice a guy for the cut & thrust of Dominican politics ;) but how's about persuading your Embassy to open a satellite office on the north coast and appointing you as Swiss Consul? (Unless of course it's already been done!). Now that would keep you busy!!