Gay traveller

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
Hey everyone, haven't been here in awhile. A friend and I are planning to come to DR in 12/30/08 - 1/2/09. We want to visit SD, but we also want some serious beach time. I was thinking of Punta Cana because it touted for it's pristine beaches. Not too thrilled about the whole AI thing, but it's fine I guess. Also, I would appreciate any advice on 'gay friendly' hotels there.

I've been to Cabarete before...which I thought had it's charm. I was just not thrilled about the place I stayed in 2006; it was advertised as a gay hotel...I think it was called Arcos?? It was in Jardin Deprtivo..and there wasn't squat there...you had to grab a moto concho and go into town. Anyway, I don't think I would stay there again.

So, in summary, if we wanted to do a few days in SD and a few days at one the better beaches (white sand, clean) with some possibility to meet other open mined and gay people, where would you go?

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
hey i am a guy guy who comes to the DR with my partner
i have never had a problem with people in the DR about bieng gay i do not hide it but i do not put it all out like some gay men and women do
try this site out
IGLTA - International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association the International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association
Dominican Republic - Gay Hotels, Gay B&B, Gay Resorts, Gay Lodging, Lesbian Hotels
Gay Friendly Hotels: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
once you find a place check it out on TripAdvisor
have fun be safe
francoisatl

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hey everyone, haven't been here in awhile. A friend and I are planning to come to DR in 12/30/08 - 1/2/09. We want to visit SD, but we also want some serious beach time. I was thinking of Punta Cana because it touted for it's pristine beaches. Not too thrilled about the whole AI thing, but it's fine I guess. Also, I would appreciate any advice on 'gay friendly' hotels there.

I've been to Cabarete before...which I thought had it's charm. I was just not thrilled about the place I stayed in 2006; it was advertised as a gay hotel...I think it was called Arcos?? It was in Jardin Deprtivo..and there wasn't squat there...you had to grab a moto concho and go into town. Anyway, I don't think I would stay there again.

So, in summary, if we wanted to do a few days in SD and a few days at one the better beaches (white sand, clean) with some possibility to meet other open mined and gay people, where would you go?
Hi Beasley,
We're very gay friendly here in Juan Dolio
Home - www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I can guarantee you that you'll love it here.
Ciao
Frank

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you can alway stay in SD itself and then travel to either Boca Chica or Juan Dolio durring the day. The bus (guagua) is only 40-45 pesos. Both beaches are about 30 mins from the capital.

You could opt to stay in either B.C. or J.D. but there really is no gay nightlife in either place. Again...i would suggest staying in Santo Domingo and making the beach a day trip.

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
Thanks for your ideas. We've decided to go to Punta Cana for a few days. Then we will come to SD...going to stay at Coco Boutique Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? It looks nice.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you aware that you might scare some normal people off?

Ahem. Being gay might be less common than being heterosexual (i.e. maybe there are fewer gay people than heterosexual people) but that does not make it abnormal. So it is probably better to rephrase the question, if it is one which needs to be asked, as 'are you aware you might scare off some heterosexuals?'

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Ahem. Being gay might be less common than being heterosexual (i.e. maybe there are fewer gay people than heterosexual people) but that does not make it abnormal. So it is probably better to rephrase the question, if it is one which needs to be asked, as 'are you aware you might scare off some heterosexuals?'

I agree but cannot edit the post anymore. Can you edit it accordingly?

Thanks

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
You will find that alot of gay holidaymakers are quite discerning.....so if there are gay people staying its often a sign of a good quality place..making it a good idea to be gay friendly....now if they are all gay it would be totally different sign lol