Yet another thinking of moving to DR. I'm sure my story is a little different...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Greetings all. I'm an American and my domestic partner is Trinidadian. We've spent the last 3 years trying to find a suitable place to live seeing that my partner is unable to get a visa to stay in the U.S. We spent 2 years in Trinidad and are now in Sint Maarten (just over a year). We have visitor status in Sint Maarten and have to leave every 90 days and then come back to get a new stamp in our passport. It's an awful way to live as my partner is hassled every time we enter (they think he's here working illegally ... which he's not). I'm fortunate that my profession allows me to do most of my work online so all I need is fast reliable internet service. I do travel to the States to work as well. Our most urgent need is to find a place to live where we can obtain legal residency. From what we can gather, once you purchase property in DR, it's relatively easy to get your residency. We visited Santo Domingo this past April and really enjoyed it. As it stands now we are interested in living in the Punta Cana area. I'm certain my salary will allow us to live comfortably. We're definitely not the typical starry-eyed vacationers that fell in love with DR on holiday and decided to move. We've been living in the Caribbean for the past 3 years and are in need of a suitable place to live until the U.S. amends it's archaic immigration laws and allows me to sponsor my partner for his visa in States. We understand what's entailed in living in a developing country. (Sorry if I'm rambling a bit).

Well... with all that said, I guess I'm just looking for some general guidance. We plan on visiting Punta Cana at the end of November and will be seeking out a real estate agent to discuss opportunities.

Thoughts anyone?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no need to purchase anything to get your Residency. It is best to rent first anyway, until you decide which part of the country you want to live in. Do not just assume the first place you have been to is the best choice.

Use the Search function for all the info you will need on Residency.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Wow, interesting story. I wish you the best of luck. From what I hear Punta Cana is a lovely place to reside, very quiet and peaceful. I hope to move back to the DR some day and work online as well. Let me know how it works out for you.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Great advice Sky.

Another issue - what else is it you are looking for in a location? One thing with Punta Cana, pretty much a tourist area - not much else nearby. Is that what you are looking for? IF so great, if not consider other options!

Maybe you want to be closer to a larger center? Culture? Things to do? Shopping? Access to flights? (not sure on what regular carriers use Punta Cana airort)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you wrote you've been in st dgo and liked it.
have you been also in PC?
check the differences in case of possibilities for your job, to life for the unemployed partner aso.
st dgo and PC are two different wolrds, i speak from own experience, i live in PC, i prefer PC over the capital or any big city for my own reasons, but what about you?
no need to purchase property or such for a residency for both, count on around 1200US$ each and within a reasonable time period the first year is done. after one year the same procedure again and the permanent residency is done for each. no further working or such permission needed.
search the above mentioned section, you will find all needed info there.
and let us know what's coming out at the end.
i realize you are still on the 1st post.
welcome to the DR1 bord.
Mike

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
SKY, gave you good advice. DR1 search function is your best friend. Have a look at this Residency and Citizenship in the Dominican Republic help article.

Good Luck!
NotLurking

Thanks for the advice. Believe me, I've scoured the forums for hours on end. One thing I haven't been able to ascertain is how long you have to be in the DR before you can apply for residency. And the other vague thing is this requirement:
Affidavit regarding the solvency of the guarantor backed by evidence of solvency such as bank deposits, property titles, etc.;
Anyone have specifics? Dollar amounts? (Sorry if it's listed somewhere, I certainly haven't been able to find it.)

Regarding driving. I find this confusing as well:
The US$10 tourist cards allow you to stay for 30 days. An additional RD$300 is charged to prolong the stay to up to 90 days. Thereafter, scaled charges from RD$500 to RD$15,000 (for five years and more) apply. If you will be driving in the DR for more than the 15 days of your tourist card, you will need to pay for an extension at the Department of Migration in order for your license to be valid, and the insurance coverage to be maintained.

It says one must pay for an extension. An extension of what? If the tourist card is valid for 30 days, just what is it I'm extending after 15 days? Does the tourist card have a separate designation specifically for insurance/driving? Does this imply one can extend they're tourist card indefinitely? Would this be useful to maintain a legal status with regard to driving/insurance?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Great advice Sky.

Another issue - what else is it you are looking for in a location? One thing with Punta Cana, pretty much a tourist area - not much else nearby. Is that what you are looking for? IF so great, if not consider other options!

Maybe you want to be closer to a larger center? Culture? Things to do? Shopping? Access to flights? (not sure on what regular carriers use Punta Cana airort)

We're fine with the touristy/remote area. It's what we've got here in Sint Maarten. Shopping/Culture... for now that's not important. We don't mind hopping in the car for a day trip if we need to get away. Just wish the newly opening IKEA was closer to Punta Cana. :)

I travel every month to Washington, DC for work and American Airlines flies directly to Punta Cana via Miami (on a wide-body aircraft no less!). That will work perfectly for me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We're fine with the touristy/remote area. It's what we've got here in Sint Maarten. Shopping/Culture... for now that's not important. We don't mind hopping in the car for a day trip if we need to get away. Just wish the newly opening IKEA was closer to Punta Cana. :)
Worry not, you won't be deprived of good design and furniture outlets in the Punta Cana area - Ilumel, Casa Cana and several others are here, though admittedly pricier than IKEA.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. Tourist card lsts for 30 days but there is no problem overstaying - you just pay a small fine when you leave. You can often work just on a tourist visa.

2. Residency you can obtain at any time. You will need a sponsor who is either Dominican or a resident and they need to have enough money in the bank to pay for your airfare if you get deported! You so not need shed loads of money.

3. For citizenship it is a different situation - but you don't need that.

Come here on a tourist visa. If you like it and decide to stay then get residency after say 6 months or a year or even longer

Matilda

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
completely right Matilda,
but one of her mainpoints is focused on the drivers license in case of insurance coverage, and that is a valid point.
if you let your tourist visa's 30 days expire to pay the little fee when finally leaving, and that's really hassle free and in no way a prob, what happens with the valor of the foreign drivers license day 32 ahead? in case of a crash the insurance could rightfully declare that the driver does not have a drivers license valid in this country at the moment of the crash.
Mike

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
completely right Matilda,
but one of her mainpoints is focused on the drivers license in case of insurance coverage, and that is a valid point.
if you let your tourist visa's 30 days expire to pay the little fee when finally leaving, and that's really hassle free and in no way a prob, what happens with the valor of the foreign drivers license day 32 ahead? in case of a crash the insurance could rightfully declare that the driver does not have a drivers license valid in this country at the moment of the crash.
Mike

Sorry I should learn to read!! Key point is that you are much better off with residency but it can take 6 months to get and you will not be evicted if you are here on an expired tourist visa.