Best Dominican Music

MissionDoc

Dec 16, 2006
After 11 trips to the DR being surrounded by the backround sounds of Bacchata and Merengue music played everywhere I was curious about what particular individual songs would be considered "standards". The ones everyone knows by heart. Anyone care to list ten or so songs and the artists that sing them.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I LOVE Antony Santos and I think that everyone would know the words to ANY one of his songs
SHALENA

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
In the world of merengue and bachata, 10 doesn't even scrape the top. Especially since they are all remakes. People know the words before they even play on the radio ;)

I would consider a classic bachata to be something along the lines of voy palla, antony santos.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
best Dominican music

For me nothing beats Luis Segura in the morning , late afternoons , and in the evenings .

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
My choice too...

Today's bachata reflects a different era nothing compared to the classic artists. My vote is for Luis Segura too if you want to get a taste of a more unique style known as bolero antillano. He is in a class by himself. I am holding on (tightly) to my albums. He's a one of a kind artist.

-LDG.

For me nothing beats Luis Segura in the morning , late afternoons , and in the evenings .

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Classical Older music from the Dominican Republic

I woulld really like to learn more about " CLassical" Dominican music. I think it represents the best of the Dr for me. I hear it sometimes in the and really love it. Any other suggestions? THanks

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I woulld really like to learn more about " CLassical" Dominican music. I think it represents the best of the Dr for me. I hear it sometimes in the and really love it. Any other suggestions? THanks

Luis Segura is also on the top of my list for "older bachata".

Check out Pena por ti, my favourite of his...Or check out Traicionera for a great merengue.

Montreal

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Recommendations

Some great albums buy Luis Segura:

1/ Como yo- my all time favourite album by Luis.
2/ Hasta cuando- a must have.
3/ La raz?n de mi vida- one of a kind bachata
4/ Cosas de la vida- good from start to finish.
5/ Te perdono- he went over the top with this one.
6/ Todo sentimiento- this is an album with a good mix of tropical rhythms which is a trademark of Luis Segura.

He has a new album release pending titled: Si me dejas no vale.

I also like Luis Vargas but his music from 2000-2006 are some of his best years in my opinion. He changed his style by combining old and new nuances to create a very modern style bachata yet to be duplicated. Luis Vargas is a talented guitarist and that's what sets him apart from counterparts of his generation. The albums that I own from year 2000 going forward are gems. A must have is Inolvidable, highly recommended. As Vargas says in one of the songs 'los que quieran aprender a tocar bachata que compren este cd'. Follow his advice.

Other good albums include:

Mensajero
La sangre llama

-LDG.

Last edited:

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Some great albums buy Luis Segura:

1/ Como yo- my all time favourite album by Luis.
2/ Hasta cuando- a must have.
3/ La raz?n de mi vida- one of a kind bachata
4/ Cosas de la vida- good from start to finish.
5/ Te perdono- he went over the top with this one.
6/ Todo sentimiento- this is an album with a good mix of tropical rhythms which is a trademark of Luis Segura.

He has a new album release pending titled: Si me dejas no vale.

I also like Luis Vargas but his music from 2000-2006 are some of his best years in my opinion. He changed his style by combining old and new nuances to create a very modern style bachata yet to be duplicated. Luis Vargas is a talented guitarist and that's what sets him apart from counterparts of his generation. The albums that I own from year 2000 going forward are gems. A must have is Inolvidable, highly recommended. As Vargas says in one of the songs 'los que quieran aprender a tocar bachata que compren este cd'. Follow his advice.

Other good albums include:

Mensajero
La sangre llama

-LDG.

Another album by Luis Segura is Vuelve

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I was forgetting....Blas Duran. He is responsible for the more modern bachata sound that we know today. He has a few great merengues also, I personally just prefer bachata.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I bought a Luis Segura CD from a vendor in the streets of Boca Chica, it is definately old school bachata [i actually consider it Balada] but it is very unique and the words are beautiful. 'Bachata' has evolved [and continues to do so] a lot year after year.
Personally I like old school Antony Santos, Old School Frank Reyes, and started getting into Zacarias Ferreira now :)

mangu4u

Oct 23, 2008
Every time I hear A noche yo sone con ella by Anthony Santos it takes me back to Jarabacoa ten years ago.....I like Frank Reyes as well.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Luis Segura in Montreal

I know there are a few Luis Segura fans around here in Montreal. Just wanted to give you all a heads up that he'll be playing Caballero's on the 29 of November....Tickets are 30$

Montreal

M

misterchicago40

WELL What about Dominican Rock??? I here santo Domingo has a thriving rock scene,, What about that then???

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I really like Luis Miguel de Amargue these days. I love his smokey voice and mellow guitar. Busceme (sp?) is a great CD.

Love Raulin...tho not hooked on his latest cd yet.

Vargas and Santos are both great...i just never know WHICH Santos to get...dang...he's got like 100 cds out there.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Luis Segura- You tube video

I was browsing the internet looking for old and new music and specifically anything new by Luis Segura and I came across this video on You Tube. Once again this man is amazing. He truly represents the essence of bachata as 'bolero antillano'. This specific genre only has a few representatives and Luis Segura IMO is the best exponent of this type of bachata. His repertoire of classics old and new will always represent a fine style of bachata even in the face of social controversy. Today the genre is certainly enjoying an unprecedented social popularity in its country of origin the Dominican Republic.

For those of you who are fans of Segura's music this video is a treat and I had no idea he could dance like that. I had a chance to see him in concert twice last year (Nov/Dec 2008) when he came to Montreal and Toronto and I just did not motivate myself to go. I kind of regret it now.

I am still looking for two of his cds released in 2008. On Amazon they are still not available and not listed on any of the other popular on line shopping sites which means I will have to special order them from a Latin music store.

Video: YouTube - Luis Segura - Bachata 1992 - Rep. Dominicana

Some of his great albums that I own:

2jc5v06.jpg

30acphu.jpg

-one of my all time favourites by Luis Segura

2ykl7pv.jpg

-this is just a wonderful album.

wbs2s7.jpg

-Te Perdono- Truly a must have.

Luis Segura, the man from Mao...

-Marianopolita

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I like Juan Luis Guerra. Try Bachata Rosa and/or La Llave De Mi Corazon the later having won a ton of well deserved Grammys.