Gold's Gym increase-you kidding me?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I was just informed last night through the grapevine that Gold's Gym will be increasing their normal monthly rate from RD$1,600 to RD$2,200 and I confirmed it today. That's an almost 40% increase!!

First of all, this increase is insane but what I'm really upset about is the lack of information that has been given to the gym's members; this begins on November 1st!! Since signing up about 5 months ago, I have been going to Gold's between 5 to 6 days a week. Not once have I seen any type of press release or anything informing members about this increase. A representative at Gold's simply said today that they had been informed "last minute" by management. Last minute? Is this how they run their gym? At the last minute they decide shoot their membership through the roof without warning?

Any Gold's members out there? Was anyone else aware of this? Under what pretenses have they decided to increase their rate by such a drastic margin?

I'm venting but it would be interesting to hear the reaction to this.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Typical customer service here :(

I have just been informed the group monthly rate will go up RD$300 to RD$1,500 as of Nov 1.

Nice of them to let us know before we did all the running around, chasing people BS.

Be interesting to see how this all works out...

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
That sucks..

Gentlemen, don't let this "price hike" stop you from keeping toned and lookin good ..... us women really appreciate it!!;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Update... They just gave the DR1 Group a 60% discount on the initial subscription price. Now it's RD$3200 and not RD$8000.

The joys of bitching! :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
they had just increased their fees from 1300 to 1600 2 months ago and now they are increasing it again? Yikexxxx.
I am beginning to like my belly more and more everyday. It costs me nothing to keep it. hahahah
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Gentlemen, don't let this "price hike" stop you from keeping toned and lookin good ..... us women really appreciate it!!;)

You know Lapurr I would have to agree with you on this one.

I believe these guys should just save money somewhere else and just pay the gym fee so they can keep looking papasitos as always, ;);

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I hate Gold's gym here in Santiago. They are a$$holes. I had a bad experience there and even though I got a written apology form the management I just dont feel comfortable there. I wouldnt go there for any price, not even if THEY paid ME.

That said, it is a good thing they are raising pricess, they have way more members than they can support. Maybe now the chopos will all go home and peple who just want to work out can do so in peace.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I hate Gold's gym here in Santiago. They are a$$holes. I had a bad experience there and even though I got a written apology form the management I just dont feel comfortable there. I wouldnt go there for any price, not even if THEY paid ME.

That said, it is a good thing they are raising pricess, they have way more members than they can support. Maybe now the chopos will all go home and peple who just want to work out can do so in peace.

hija de gran buscuit eater!

Where do you go Mike?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I'm gonna talk to management tomorrow with a friend to at least let our case be heard. Who knows, if enough people argue maybe something will change. Doubtful, but better than staying quiet.

May 12, 2005

I worked out there once and I got yelled at for doing deadlifts. Funny, i thought people were supposed to lift heavy weights in a gym. Silly me.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
There is some great eye canfy in the Santo Domingo golds. Although someone told me of some wierd stuff going on in the shower in the men's locker room. He was the only one in there, then so guy showers right next to him, only rubbing soap on his crotch and staring at him. Needless to say, he didn 't stick around to see what happened next...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
According to Carmen at the Gold's here in Santiago, our rate won't change from RD1199 per month if paid with the credit card as only the gym(s?) in SD will have it's rates change.

Also, another option to get the lower rate is to pay the whole year in advance.

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
Any other gyms than Golds in Naco area??

I have waited for weeks to join the golds gym under the DR1 discount plan. Went last week and the girl who dea,ls with it was not there so was told to come back. i was told the discount of 3200 joining fee and 1200monthly would stand until end of month Oct.
Well went in today and they said it ended yesterday and now is 1500 month,
apart from a nice guy named Abraham who should me around, my experience was again less than satisfying. Its too bad i liked the gym but have a principle that i dont succumb to the gringo bait and switch program.

So does anyone else know of decent gym in the naco piantini area.
Does anyone know the prices and location of bodyshop in naco?

Thanks in advance

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
One sided...

I have waited for weeks to join the golds gym under the DR1 discount plan. Went last week and the girl who dea,ls with it was not there so was told to come back. i was told the discount of 3200 joining fee and 1200monthly would stand until end of month Oct.
Well went in today and they said it ended yesterday and now is 1500 month,
apart from a nice guy named Abraham who should me around, my experience was again less than satisfying. Its too bad i liked the gym but have a principle that i dont succumb to the gringo bait and switch program.

So does anyone else know of decent gym in the naco piantini area.
Does anyone know the prices and location of bodyshop in naco?

Thanks in advance

To Expat133 and anyone else who is interested in this, you were given fair warning about the price increase, in this thread and other threads posted by myself. I made it absolutely clear of the increases that were taking place and told everyone to sign up before the end of the month, or face the new fees. If you did not adhere to that its not our fault. You can not expect us to get you the good deal we just did, and wipe you butt at the same time.

There was no gringo switch program. You were not scammed. They were not trying to get more money from you. This is the deal. Myself, and those who have signed up had to deal with this very same thing. In fact we were so angered by this, we complained some more and got us a better deal.

That they ended that offer yesterday is their policy, not ours. You have to be aware that Gold's credits accounts between the 25th and 30th of each month, meaning that this did not come out of nowhere. You have to pay your monthly fees on this date. That is their company policy. Everyone pays between the 25th and the 30th and if on the 30th you did not pay, then you are subject to the new fees. This is not some trick. Is this enough for you to bash this and ruin this for everyone?

Even so, we got DR1 members a great deal, with 60% off the inscription fee (paying RD$3,200 instead of RD$8,000) and a great monthly of RD$1,499, instead of RD$2,200 (which is the normal fee). And yet you still complain. This is why I don't do favors for people. Mind you that if you don't sign up for this offer, as you had promised to, you will ruin it for the rest of us.

As per other gyms? Get your RD$10,000 inscription and RD$2,500 per month and go the the Body Shop.

NOTE: Anyone SERIOUSLY INTERESTED in taking Expats place in this offer, please PM me or Robert A.S.A.P.

Please, only interested parties who are willing to sign up immediately.

I won't let this great offer be ruined by some guy complaining....

Mr. Lu

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
Ok Mr Lu.

Before we go to far with this. I do not have the time to survey this complete site for all the new updates and changes. I was told a price and i guess it has changed, ok i can move on from this. But i did go in last week and there was no one to help me, not my fault the girl was off. I was then told that it is good until the end of the month being today, and the increase will come in Nov. 1 st tomorrow. So why would i feel that i am a day late???. I do not know the companys monthly cutoffs, only what i am told. As my spanish is only poco i thought i was getting taken advantage of which you must admit would not the first time that has happened in this country, so of course i was hesitant to move forward.
I am still willing to join the gym as it is well setup equipment wise, and i do prefer to wipe my own ass, no that wont be required.

What i need to know is, is today too late for this deal or not?
Thanks in advance1

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Oct 31 is the last day, as stated in the above posts and the numerous PM's I have sent people.

If you have any problems, ask for Adriana.