Metro - This scares me!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
From or news today.

Pena says that Metro employees have now been trained, and that training that would take two years in other countries was completed in less than six months.

Why was that? Scary!

I wonder when they will remove all publicos and gua gua's from the first Metro route?
As predicted, this will be another step by the Government to break the
transport unions strangle hold.

Reactions: MikeFisher

faer

Jan 6, 2005
come on!!!, that's nothing. metro drivers are just mere expectators, they just operate the doors (open/close). It scares me more this statement:
Pena says the system is in its final stages of preparation, noting that it is difficult to get all 19 trains moving together, arriving at the stations all at the same time.
Heck, sure its difficult!!!!, but trains are managed by a computer program. Anywhere with a fully stressed metro system, has more than 19 trains moving together and in mutltiple lines. Also, in peak hours, as one train is stopped at a station, there is another one approaching to it in the same direction...

good luck to you there....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And the fact that he announces it as if it were a good thing only serves to confirm his mediocrity.

As for this:
"...it is difficult to get all 19 trains moving together, arriving at the stations all at the same time..."
Well, duh, maybe we misunderstood, but isn't that what running a Metro is all about?

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Yea I got a chills when I read the condensed training time line:surprised

Stop before station and open door - ahhhhhhhhhhh

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
And the fact that he announces it as if it were a good thing only serves to confirm his mediocrity.

As for this:

"...it is difficult to get all 19 trains moving together, arriving at the stations all at the same time..."

Well, duh, maybe we misunderstood, but isn't that what running a Metro is all about?

So funny and yet unfortunately so true. This reminds me of when I was complaining to the installer of my new US1000 screens that a lot of the screen frames were bent whereupon he defensively replied:

"yeah I know there bent but do you know how hard it is to make these frames much less to do it and not bend them"

..,well, du-uh these guys were supposedly the experts and after all US1000 ain't peanuts.

Unfortunately, this is a cultural phenomenom and is often used when there is failure on their parts. However, somehow it doesn't work the other way around - like when I call Edenorte to tell them the check must have got lost in the mail - they still will cut my line.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't you know how sharp we Dominicans are?

Reminds me of the training I've been doing here in Mexico. I train the guys (hands on), and normally at the end of the session nobody has any questions (everybody is "trained")...typically I have to come back three or four times before they really get it. There's a cultural component to this...It's hard for a Dominican to admit that he/she didn't really understand the training...so they all say "sure, I'm trained" and hope for the best when the Shyte hits the fan.

snowflake42

Sep 10, 2008
Bad enough to be pick pocketed on public transportation or while walking but I can't imagine riding metro and the power goes out....security anywhere? hmmm I think i'll borrow Chiri's bicycle

track

Sep 6, 2008
I would assume the 1 year training is not for the operators to open and close the doors, or for the ticket person, or the inspectors, but for the technicians, mechanics, administrators, etc. But then again I'm assuming, and we all know that that means.

I would love to see the Metro work the same way it works in Frankfurt Germany. They trust you pay for the ticket, "no one checks for every ticket". But from time to time they ( Police ) will, at random ask someone for a ticket.

Remember in DR A Stop sign is, "Approach slowly, look anyway and keep going".
I do hope they change that in the Metro. Stop sign means STOP!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
i Love It

I saw BART start in SFO and MARTA start in ATL and the new airport start in Denver (ugh) and the MIA airport's billion dollar baby and they were/are very rocky starts. The DR Metro will be no different. Anything to ease the imminent and pervasive congestion is a plus to me.....but then I'm not a capitale?o having to worry about it much. And the above were all way over budget and way late BTW.
It's a latent co-depency in the present and brilliant hindsight for the future. Mass transit cannot be all bad, can it? although it does have it's issues which I cannot defend.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i just hope for all you capitale?os that all those 19 trains do really NOT arrive at the one staion at the same time.
i knew there's a reason why i live far on the east.
and thanks god within all rumors i heard about that next Metro is planned for Santiago, not for a faster transfer from the PUJ Intl down to the beach/he..??
where's Pichardo with the insider visions???
Mike

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
where's Pichardo with the insider visions???
Mike

I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough to tell us how these employees were trained by the latest and greatest training methodology which cuts training time by 50% and has previously been used only by NASA or how they only hired people with bigger brains who can absorb knowledge at a 50% faster pace than the rest of us mortals...