A lot of questions here...

GoodGirl

Oct 20, 2008
Hi everyone,

I found this forum very useful and interesting! Thank you! But I got lost in all the information. Most of questions being asked here are based on some knowledge about DR, so are the answers. But I know almost nothing yet so its hard sometimes to understand what it is all about. Thats why, if you dont mind, I will start from 0 and ask everything step by step. Ok?:)

So first of all I would like to explain what I want to do!:)
I would like to go to DR and live there for some time. "Some time" means 6 months or 1 year.

1) I am a citizen of EU. What is necessary for me in order to stay in DR for longer period and probably work?

2) How much money do I need for 1 month to live comfortably? I mean to have a 1 room appartment in a good area, to buy food and other necessary things etc. For example, how much would it cost to rent 1 room appartment?

3) How dangerous is it for a girl to be there alone? ...:eek:

4) Is it hard to find a job without speaking Spanish? ( I am a multimedia designer ) And what are the average salaries there? ( Would be nice to see some examples with salaries:) )

I will stop for now, hope someone can help me:)

Thank you!!! :bunny:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I really shoud defer to other posters who have actually made the move to the DR. I am a frequent visitor, and even that does not give me the kind of insight and understanding required to respond properly.

But, having said that, let me ask you: have you ever visited to the DR?

In my opinion it is folly to make plans for a permanent, albeit, 6-12 month move there, without investigating the terrain first, and without networking with others who live there. I don't think you can do that via the DR1.com.

More than that, I suggest you learn to speak the language before making your move. The DR is a Spanish-speaking country and although there are multilingual Dominicans and a very helpful expat community, most of those you encounter in the DR will speak DR Spanish.

The DR is a wonderful country and many of us have contemplated and/or made plans to relocate there. However, from my experience, it is not a place for everybody, and you must first do your homework.

Reactions: Lapurr
Mar 2, 2008
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask what made you decide to move to the DR?

In other words, what is your motivation for moving, and how immediate are your plans?

I would find your answers helpful to me when considering your questions.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I too am a Brit. I first visited the RD some 13 years ago and decided that I liked the place. I made several visits here when funds would allow centering on Las Terrenas during the intervening years. Then about 7, after I retired, years ago I started coming here for the winter months most years. I got to like the place more and more. I worked hard on my spanish although even now I want more vocabulary and use of the past definate and subjunctive.. Dominican friends tell me that they look down with disfavour at those immigrants who have been here for many years but still have made no real effort with their dominican beyond ?what I want and how much?. I enjoyed dominican girls like many other normal males, particularly after experiencing the inhibitions of european ones all my life. Then I met a fantastic dominican girl some 4 years ago, we lived together and then got married. Then recently we adjusted the rules and have adopted a 2 year old girl. Since being a child I cannot remember ever being quite so happy and content. The relief at escaping the EU and its miriad of stupid rules and regulations as well as taxes makes up for most of the shortcomings here , almost like being back in England on a warm day in the fifties. I find we can live here very comfortably on GBP 1000 a month after the initial expenditure on building a house and pool, buying a car, we don?t stint ourselves on what in the UK were luxuries, like smoked salmon. Advice: Remember its their country not yours or mine, we have to fit in with them not the other way round. Not like many immigrants from one country in Europe who want to interfere and change everything. How does the idea of Las Terrenas as a caribbean St Tropez grab you ? Its great to have other ex pat friends but try not to be drawn into their insular round of group nights out and drinks gatherings. Work on your spanish and cultivate dominican friends. Get a cedula, residency permit, dominican driving licence, use dominican medical services, mix with your neighbours, do not try to tell them how to do anything better but allow them to watch you, they?ll ask then. Sorry if I?ve rambled on a bit but once they?ve got rid of corruption, bribery etc I think it will be the best place on earth. Mind you I do wish someone would tell me where to get a decent book on working a Caribbean kitchen garden!

Reactions: DRob and MikeFisher

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Its great to have other ex pat friends but try not to be drawn into their insular round of group nights out and drinks gatherings. Work on your spanish and cultivate dominican friends. Get a cedula, residency permit, dominican driving licence, use dominican medical services, mix with your neighbours, do not try to tell them how to do anything better but allow them to watch you, they?ll ask then. Sorry if I?ve rambled on a bit but once they?ve got rid of corruption, bribery etc I think it will be the best place on earth.

Excellent advice, granca. Should be engraved in stone at arrival airports for new expats. I see you've internalised Dominican optimism ;) 'once they've got rid of corruption, bribery etc'. Good on you for aiming to live to 110.......:)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ginnie,
the globe will never get rid of such,
it is in human nature,
or can you name me one country free of corruption?
one country where some big guys from the industry do not bribe the big decisions guys to get the right contracts for the right companies done?
it is just shown in different ways, but existent everywhere.
Mike

GoodGirl

Oct 20, 2008
Sorry for disappearing! I am here again:)
Bronxboy, Sanation, thank you for the links! I have read them. But I still dont understand how much money I need to live there one month...:( I have seen posts saying that about 4000 usd, but isnt it TOO much for one person that lives very simple life??? I think this amount is more suitable for a family with children who go to school, at least 2 cars, big house with maid etc. I know noone will tell me the exact amount, because everyone has different lifestyle, but at least, what is the minimum?:)

RonS,
You are right, it sounds insane to go to a country for such a long time, without even visiting it, hehehe. But I have done it before and it was not so bad, the only difference is that the country where I live now is in Europe. After reading what you wrote I think that I will first go there for a couple of weeks next summer just to see what to expect! Im not in a hurry to move there, I speak little Spanish and it is not a problem to learn it before I go to DR. Thank you for your post!

catcherintherye,
I really cannot explain it:) It just came to my mind. I dont like staying in the same place for long, I have already lived in 2 countries, besides my home country and now I want to try something completely different- different culture, different continent, different climate. Why Dominican Republic? I dont know:D maybe because they say it is like the Paradise on the Earth, I want to see if it is true!
As I wrote before, I am not in a hurry. I am planning to go there next year, but first just for a holiday!

Granca,
Very helpful post! Thanks a lot!
But the rule about "fitting in with them" works everywhere you go, in any place where you are a stranger. I have learned to do it here, hopefully it will not be difficult in DR either.
One thing I dont understand...what is cedula? While reading the forum, I thought it was the same as residency permit, but now Im confused, because you mentioned both of them!:D

I am glad that someone is willing to help me!:)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
One thing I dont understand...what is cedula? While reading the forum, I thought it was the same as residency permit, but now Im confused, because you mentioned both of them!:D

The Cedula is the national ID card you get after becoming a resident. You need it to get a Driver's license, work, etc.

You "definitely" need to visit here FIRST!

$4,000 U.S. is way too much.

I can't give an answer on exactly how much, I have a home, car and wife here.
I live on less than $2,000 U.S. a month.

BUT, it gets harder all the time, prices are going up a lot.

You also should know enough Spanish to keep you out of trouble.
(Know what is going on around you)

Don - SantiagoDR

Mar 2, 2008
maybe because they say it is like the Paradise on the Earth, I want to see if it is true!

While I think Granca's post is the definitive response to Goodgirl's questions, I will add just that if anyone moves to the DR looking for paradise they will be disappointed.

As Granca indicated, there are many things that will gladden your heart, and also many things that will break it. It is an island of contradictions, and some of those contradictions are so striking they are impossible to miss and impossible to ignore.

The DR is much like the wild west, in my opinion. Within it are "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". The good and the ugly will catch your attention immediately, the bad you will have to keep at bay.

As Granca, Lambada, Mike, and others have stated, the DR is not for everyone. It is not paradise. But it is a place that will offer you a challenge, and a place that is interesting and fun. Whether or not it has what you are looking for is up to you to decide.

As to the question of how much money you will need, the answers will be as diverse as those who answer. If you think you live simply, consider what that entails, and think about what that would mean for you living in a foreign country. The fact is, no one can answer that question for you.

If I were you I would plan on spending exactly the same amount you spend now, or a little more. If you are smart and frugal, you will be able to pare it down somewhat, but you will be prepared.

Reactions: Bronxboy

bachatony1

Aug 8, 2008
Have you read the info in the living section of this site outside of the forums? They really helped me alot.

BTW...you sound a lot like me, I can't stay in one place for too long. ;) I'm leaving to DR for two months this Thursday and if it works out, I'm going to stay in April. You're in the right site. 99% of what I've learned about DR was here. I plan on taking $500/month renting a house for $200-$300 month. I'm okay living simply too, so I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Welcome to DR1!