Which (N. Coast) bank do people like the most?

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
We need an account for both pesos and dollars. I want something international and that has been around for while, we were thinking Popular, but its always so busy. I like Santa Cruz, but its been around for only 10 yrs and has already needed government bail-out, so I'm a little unsure about it.

What banks (in Sosua) do people prefer to deal with? We already have letters from our bank, letters from locals, all that stuff.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I think most of us deal with Santa Cruz. Carlos (bank manager/boss) seems to like working with expats and is most helpful.

Bob K

Mar 2, 2008
Banco Santa Cruz was recommended to me early on, and I have an account there. Once they get to know you they are very helpful.

I've noticed it takes some time to reach that level of comfort, but it comes.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Banco Santa Cruz was recommended to me early on, and I have an account there. Once they get to know you they are very helpful.

I've noticed it takes some time to reach that level of comfort, but it comes.

I agree with the Santa Cruz recommendations. Being introduced by someone who has banked there for a while or if you work for a company that banks there is very helpful.

They are very helpful and pleasant here in Cabarete.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
We heartily agree,Delicia & Francisco have been very helpful & welcoming.A bank in the Western hemisphere which still features good customer service!

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
I deal with Scotia Bank. They have quite a few branches in the D.R. and I do not get charged to use the atm when withdrawing money from my Scotia account in Canada.

dos amigos

Oct 18, 2008
Agree with the Santa Cruz comments, we have peso and dollar accounts there and from day one they have been really helpful. Service is sometimes a little slower than you would expect in UK but that is due to the system. If you choose your times for going in it isn?t so bad. When we have sent money over in dollars we have e mailed Carlos in the Sosua branch to let us know when it has arrived and he does so.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I went into Banco Santa Cruz today to open an account. I had a letter of recommendation from Banco Leon and my passport. Not enough. They also want a recommendation of a person here in the DR. It doesn't have to be in writing if that person is a depositor of the bank. If not, a written letter of recommendation. I also didn't have my original - only a copy of my passport because I don't carry it with me. They need the original because they want to see when or how often I come here. Anyone who banks there who knows me, would you be willing to give me your name so I can use it when I go back to open the account? You can PM me if you like.

Thanks.
Ro