Any Womens Groups in Sosua or the area

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
We just moved here, and from what I have seen so far it seems to be a Male-dominated area. Are there any women here that meet, for drinks, political discussion, networking, book club, anything at all.. I'm in my 30's, moved here from the U.S., and would be interested in going to such a group if they were some around Sosua.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is large group of women that meet every night at the Meringinue Bar. But I doubt they are discussing Politics.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
A group of english-speaking ladies meet every Wednesday at about 2.00pm at the Campo Bar, opposite Club Residencial in Calle Pedro Clisante. I suspect that their average age is a little higher than yours! I am not by gender allowed to attend, but I understand that they tend to discuss domestic matters, like cooking tips.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I am appalled by the majority of responses to what appears to have been a genuine request for information by a newcomer to the country. Apart from being unfunny and unhelpful, such responses are insulting. MODERATOR, why do you allow this?

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Blacklilah:

I believe there is a lady that organizes some expat meetings in Sosua. My husband and I met her at the Britannia Pub one day and chatted across tables - she seemed very nice and knowledgeable about the area. I'll see if I can forward this thread to her.

My husband and I are also in our mid-30s and moved here from the US 9 months ago (Sosua then Cabarete). Though I don't usually do the 'women's group' thing, we're always up for meeting new people. We try to get out for coffee/drinks a few times a week just so we don't become homebodies. :) Next time you're in Cabarete drop us a line. Our usual discussion runs the gambut from books to politics to Seinfeld-like 'nothing'. lol

Best of luck in your new locale!

~Amy & Mike

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
To follow up from mike.n.amy, I would urge caution about dealing with anyone who "organizes" anything if they charge for it. I think that there was a previous thread called something like "Does anyone know of an expat social club on the North Coast?". It's probably worth looking at it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To follow up from mike.n.amy, I would urge caution about dealing with anyone who "organizes" anything if they charge for it. I think that there was a previous thread called something like "Does anyone know of an expat social club on the North Coast?". It's probably worth looking at it.

That is good advice.

I am appalled by the majority of responses to what appears to have been a genuine request for information by a newcomer to the country. Apart from being unfunny and unhelpful, such responses are insulting. MODERATOR, why do you allow this?

Whilst respecting your right to be 'appalled' could I humbly suggest that the responses you commented on are not the most heinous thing I've ever seen on this board. And we're all different - Sky's post brought a smile to my face & I doubt it was meant to be insulting.

To the OP, a group of English speaking women used to meet weekly for Scrabble & conversation at La Roca. Not sure if they still do or not. You could PM Linda Stapleton.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just got back from Santo Domingo where women really reached out and were very gracious and generous with their time and connected with me. I had a great time. They took me to the Colonial Zone one day and to Juan Dolio another.

I live in Sosua and don't have the same experience here. So I'd also be interested in anyione who would like to:

go to the beach
plan tennis
meet for lunch or dinner
get together and discuss anything

You can either respond here or PM me.

Regards

Ro

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I just got back from Santo Domingo where women really reached out and were very gracious and generous with their time and connected with me. I had a great time. They took me to the Colonial Zone one day and to Juan Dolio another.

I live in Sosua and don't have the same experience here. So I'd also be interested in anyione who would like to:

go to the beach
plan tennis
meet for lunch or dinner
get together and discuss anything

You can either respond here or PM me.

Regards

Ro

Thanks Ro. We all hope that you enjoyed your time in the Capital as much as we enjoyed meeting you! :cheeky:

I can only speak for myself, but as a woman living and working in this country, having the support of my new female friends has been invaluable. The last few months have been amazing and I can attibute that directly to the wonderful women who I now call friends, who have enriched my life and made living in the DR even more fulfilling.

I hope that others will take up Ro's offer and arrange a few social outings. It doesn't take much and could be the start of many wonderful friendships.

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
sounds good

well ill be coming down there in a few weeks. would love to meet someone who lives there. Im 30.Ill be there on november 28th at the latest.so let me know.