Isabelle de Torres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Is the cable car on a generator or subject to the same POP power outages?
I'm sure perceptive readers know where I'm going with this concern.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When the power goes, gravity kicks in.:D

Only kidding. I would guess they do have back up, otherwise we'd hear horror stories on a regular basis.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would imagine it has its own generator -ive never heard of anyone being stuck for more than 14 hours (joking)
Can you tell me how far you can walk up there because whenever ive been with people they get bored and want to come down - personally I like walking

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It usually doesn't get stuck for more than 1/2 hour, sometimes because of power failures sometimes because of other reasons.

sometimes the lines can be very long, I have waited over 2 hours before...dont ask me why.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would imagine it has its own generator -ive never heard of anyone being stuck for more than 14 hours (joking)
Can you tell me how far you can walk up there because whenever ive been with people they get bored and want to come down - personally I like walking

i hear it's very difficult to reach it by foot and it's an all day trip. but then, that was dominicans talking and they always exaggerate the distance because they never seem to walk anywhere...:cheeky:
i'd love to do the trip myself thou!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

It takes 5 hours bottom to top if you're young & fit (2 young students from UK- they climbed up & took the teleferico down!). Do it in the winter (Nov-Feb), start out early & take plenty of water. After the first 2 hours there are very few places to buy water. Don't attempt if it is raining - poor visibility will have you going round in circles. A local school party gave everyone a turn recently because they got lost when the weather clamped in. Probably best to take a guide with you if you are not used to the terrain.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No chickening out now :cheeky:. dv8 will go with you. She is the best protection device in a small package: she'll protect you from mountain ladrones, wild animals & oxygen starvation. And she can yell like a trooper if you both get lost ;).

Abuela, the engineer in charge of the teleferico is Gregory Burroughs. He'll be delighted at your interest in the workings of the cable car & will explain it all in detail. If he isn't at the teleferico itself then try contacting him through Oficina de la Secretar?a de Turismo en Puerto Plata, Calle Hermanas Mirabal, No.8. Tel:809-586-3676

Status
Not open for further replies.