Claro's cellular service lately?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Has anyone else been experiencing the really poor performance with Claro's cellular service recently?

I loose count how many times I need to redial to make a call. Claro to Orange / Viva has been almost non existent. Internationals calls...forget it.

Their Data / EDGE is unusable and my phone seems to spend more time displaying NO SERVICE rather than showing a network.

I was pleasantly surprised when I switched from Orange a few months ago, but it seems like the honeymoon is over and I'm back to a third rate service again.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Try Viva, they do not cover as much ground as Claro, but to me they are very reliable.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I think it might be your phone. Try your SIM in another GSM phone. My family uses claro both GSM and CDMA almost exclusively and all has been great. In what part of the country are you? I'm in SD.

NotLurking

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We have been having Claro issues here in Puerto Plata too. Same thing, dropped calls, redials, people calling in from outside DR say they can't get thru etc etc.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I have both the old CDMA service (with data) and the SIM based service. The Sim phone is horrible. Multiple re-dials to get through, but no problems with the sim data service. I have the same issues on re-dial in the capital as well the north coast.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
I spoke too soon. As of half hour ago, lost all data and can not make a single call, although I have a signal.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
may depend in different areas.
i have my claro phone with the same number over a decade now,
it is a plan paid monthly, not the phone card stuff which makes a difference in availability of lines(i am not the expert, i got such told by a verizon guy a longer while ago), since last spring the phone is one of them which use the sim card, before that been not available for claro phones. my wife has a orange phone, also on a fix monthly plan, i like it like that just in case one provider goes for what ever reason down i will still (maybe) have a chance to make phone calls and run business. we have also 2 of the old claro cellphones connected on card use in the house(the ones not using a sim card), we just use them once in a while charging a new card so they stay connected to have a backup phone in case i kill mine(happens sorrily once in a while). here in the punta cana area the availability from claro is much higher than from orange, my wife oftens walks at my side with no signal while the claro phone is working properly, the same in our house, where we usually have all 5 bars on both phones, but the orange phone shows weekly long hours with no signal, and bang, back again. weird sometimes. maybe they just overload some of their towers with too many customers in that area and not enough lines to provide the sold services.
Mike