Damp in the kitchen

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
My kitchen cupboards seem to be a little damp i think. Stuff that i have put in there doesnt seem to last. For example, cereal has gone soft and gravy granules seem stuck together....i presume this is moisture in the cupboards. So, does anyone know of anything to stop this happening? Anything i can buy or do to prevent it?

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Hi,

This problem is usually caused by high humidity which causes moisture in the air. If you have A/C, run it occasionally to clear the air, or if not invest in a de-humidifier. They work great to remove the moisture. Hope this helps.

That should help the problem, it works in my house.

curlyq

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Forget that. It is too costly to run an A/C to keep the damp out of your kitchen here.

Eat the stuff faster........ don't store for long periods of time. What you do store put inside sealable containers, never the store bag or box. This is an endless problem here - we live in a tropical climate. It is a fact of life.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I've seen in the supermarkets in Santo Domingo 'Hungry Hippo' moisture absorbers. They are boxes of absorbent material (like the little sachets you get in the box when you buy a pair of shoes - but bigger!).

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I've seen in the supermarkets in Santo Domingo 'Hungry Hippo' moisture absorbers. They are boxes of absorbent material (like the little sachets you get in the box when you buy a pair of shoes - but bigger!).

You can get something similar in Playero as well. They work very well. But it is the humid time of the year so moisture and mildew are everywhere, unless you use your AC a lot.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
most food is better kept in the fridge way from "little Ants" or airtight containers
Yes, that's what I do but with the increase in power outages it is getting more difficult to keep things fresh. I like planner's idea and is what I'm currently doing; I'm buying and storing less. I consume things quicker and go shopping more often. I consider myself one of the lucky ones with *only* 8-10 hour outages daily. Fortunately my backup inverter treats me well. Anything 12 hours or more and I have to fire up my gasoline generator and hurt my perpetually shrinking pockets buying gasoline. But there is nothing I can *continuously* to keep humidity and moister out of the cupboards. The best thing to do is store less, consume things faster and use air tight resealable containers as planner so nicely put it.

NotLurking

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i keep hearing about these power outages... are we just not feeling them as strongly in Santiago?? I mean, it's gotten that we have more outages (we truly were almost 100% just a short while back) but nothing like what i've been reading here.

what's the deal?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
i keep hearing about these power outages... are we just not feeling them as strongly in Santiago?? I mean, it's gotten that we have more outages (we truly were almost 100% just a short while back) but nothing like what i've been reading here.

what's the deal?
LaTeacher, you bring up a very good and interesting point. My power problem started just about 2 weeks ago. I've been hearing about devastating 12-16 hours of outages but the most I've experienced and just recently was 13 hours. I know power outages is a problem here now but like I said before, I've been one of the lucky ones. Lack of power exacerbates the humidity and moister problem in the cupboards because refrigeration and A/C are difficult if not impossible with backup power.

I feel much like you do with respect to the current wave of power outages. Is it really that bad? I know here in SD the barrios are getting hammered. In Los Minas, around Mega Centro SD Este, it has been absolutely terrible!

NotLurking

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hungry hippo? Never heard of them.

Where would i find the similar boxes in playero? And how much are they about?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
your long power outages are really a prob on such.
luckily we do not have them here in the area.
i do not use AC in the house because i find it bad for health,
so we store the stuff like in 2 fridges and 1 freezer,
sure, if there's no power that's no option.
it is def like written above the humidity of our caribbean climate, yeap.
i do store nearly nothing of alimentations outside the fridge,
keeps the house cleaner of any little animals and the food save.
i did not know that santiago itself is on such long blackouts frequently.
Mike

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Hungry hippo? Never heard of them.

Where would i find the similar boxes in playero? And how much are they about?

I said in an earlier post that Playero carries them. Sorry, my wife now tells me she got them at the local Ferreteria Linares here in Cabarete. They are called Closet Dehumidifiers and are a plastic container that is full of water absorbing crystals. Cost was 145 $RD. We put then in the kitchen cabinets and clothes closets and they work well.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i suspect you would find them with the mosquito spray rat poison and candles in playero- i have seen them there in the past