leather/cow hide

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
A lot of years ago I bought a man?s handbag at a country craft fair in England. it has been marvelous as well as attractive but sadly when I first brought it over to the RD I did not look after it properly and it became infested with mould. It has now started to drop to bits. I would like to make me a new one, the design is simple and uses no stitching nor rivets etc.
Where can I buy good quality leather about 1/8 th inch thick?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can visit Tener?a Berm?dez in Santiago. They have some of the best around.

Or you could go to Tener?a Acra in San Francisco de Macor?s...

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
depending where you are,
you may also check the little stores where they make the saddles,
they get you the material in any size and thick/thin however wanted.
usually saddle shops are not far from eveywhere.
good luck
Mike

btw,
yes, you have to maintain your leather stuff very well here,
don't put anything ever inside a closet, let them breathe and keep the stuff wet(greased, no water of course).
it really goes away fast, learned that the hard way, too, ha ha

Reactions: Tamborista

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there are also a bunch of shops on General Cabrera Street, in back of the Mercado Modelo on Sol Street in downtown Santiago. It is along the pedestrian section of the street, no cars.

If you are in Las Terrenas, then go to Acra there in SFM. If you want to shop around, come to Santiago..

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks Mike and Hillbilly, looks as if I will have to go to SFM but first I?ll follow the other suggestion that?s if I can track down a horse with a saddle and not masses of patchwork quilt. I think there?s somewhere near the beach.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
even that my mentioned saddle is my 'ole baby', a original hand made with many small details by Fox saddle shop near Dolores south Colorado/US around 35 years ago, you will find small saddle shops here on the island everywhere, specially on the countryside, they never have a big amount of leather available, but they all have it and at least can get for you what you need. those guys are mostly not a big business with huge signs out on a main street, ask the people in the pueblo near your place and you will find them. 3 years ago i bought a great made saddle, mexican styled, for our kids Pony, made by a shop i found in Higuey, just 3000 pesos for really great quality work. at such places you find also the leather for your work.
good luck
Mike