AMUCABA Scam??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohmite

Feb 25, 2003
I'm very surprised not to see anything on the forum about this, so I will post it.
A few days ago, a group has visited bars and restaurants in Sosua representing AMUCABA (The R.D. musicians, singer, actors union), with photocopies of a 60 year old law (Lay 275-85, or 2775-85 depending on which page you are looking at) demanding money and setting criteria for live events.
They are very confident in attitude about the legalities and basically say "Go ahead, see if you can do anything about it".
They demand:
  • Money per month. 5000 to 8000 pesos
  • At least 1 event (concert) a week
  • Cover charge for above event
  • Retroactive for 2 years, so you owe the past 2 years too
  • Only Dominican artists
  • And more....
They have also visited alot of restaurants that do not have live events, and never will, demanding the same. Funny thing. I saw them last night across from a restaurant that had a live performer playing AT THAT MOMENT. They did not get a contract or demands, though surrounding neighbors did.

Some businesses have contacted lawyers and are negotiating with this group. Apparently there was a news story about it on channel 3 a few days back, but i didn't see it. Does anyone have any information about this group and what they are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.