Relocating to SD in January

Laure67

Oct 25, 2008
Hi,
I am relocating in January to Santo Domingo. I am trying to make a list of things to bring. I am not a legal resident yet. so, i may have to pay import tax, based on imports!
I wonder should I bring a TV? i-phone? cell phone? I have read about vonage vs magic jack. about direct Tv and a slingbox.

a list (food, medecine, ANYTHING that is needed and worth bringing) would GREATLY help me!
Thanks in advance.
L.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The standard electric voltage here is 110 (+/- any amount) (When there is electric).

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Just about everything that you could possibly want is available in the stores... you may have to go looking for it though. ;)

The cost of import duties and freight costs may far out way the benefit of actually bringing items here. I would do some calculations before taking this option.

We decided only to bring with us a few select personal items and clothing/shoes. The rest we have purchased here. Compared to Australia (where we are from), prices here are pretty good.

The one thing I would suggest you definitely bring is clothing. It has been our experience that is very difficult to find good quality, gringo sized clothing. Womens clothing particularly is hard to find, even in the capital.