Need help: university and spa!!!

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Hi everyone! This is my first post and I really hope that someone can help me.
I am currently studying Social Anthropology at the university in Gothenburg, Sweden, and wonder if it is possible to teach at a university in Santo Domingo?
I read somewhere here on DR1 that you only need a bachelors degree to teach at the university, but it didn't say if it was a bachelor of arts or science? Is it possible to get such a job and what would it pay?

I'm part argentinian, so my spanish is ok. It gets better when I've spent a month or so in a spanish-speaking country, and then I forget again when I come back home.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to open a spa-like business in Santo Domingo? Nothing big, but a little business where you could get massage and other treatments such as zone therapy.

I am moving to Santo Domingo in 4 years, with my husband who is Dominican/Swedish (born and raised here in Sweden as I am), and my mom and her husband are coming with us. My mother and I were thinking about opening a spa, but I would like some advice from you gys, is this something that people would want? We are just looking for a way to get by, and hope that maybe this idea would work.

I hope that you can help me

//Jen

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1 Jen. You would need to come and have a look around before deciding. There are several good spas in the wealthier parts of the city, so you would have to find a location and a different offer in order to compete. You'd also have to find out whether Social Anthropology is actually taught at the universities in Santo Domingo at any significant level, and at which ones. Maybe Hillbilly, a Santiago-based DR1 member who is a university professor would know.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Thank you Chirimoya!

..for answering so fast! Ok, I'll try to get in touch with Hillbilly then, I know that they do teach Anthropology, but not where. And yes, I would have to look around for the spa. I would just like to get as much advice as possible before coming down and looking around, so I know as much as possible..
thank you, and hope I can get some more advice! :cheeky: