Is this price accurate?

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
My baby was born here in Puerto Plata and I am travelling with him to UK soon. I know that when a baby is born here, the father has all rights to the baby. And they have to give permission for the child to leave the country.

So i went to a lawyer in Sosua to see if they could make a document for everytime that i want to travel as i heard it has to be made by a lawyer...is this right? She said she could do it and it would cost 2000 pesos. Is this a good price or could i get it cheaper somewhere else?

Also, i have heard from someone else that people at the airport dont even ask...however, i dont want to be in that position if they do ask me and stop me travelling.

Thanks.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
First: It is always better to have too much documentation, as opposed to too little.

Second: You are looking for a lawyer to prepare for you a legalized document for less than US$60? May I respectfully suggest you simply pay the RD$2000 and get the work done? Lawyers deserve to earn as well, and that seems like a more than reasonable amount to me.

Have a nice trip!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Unusual

It would be highly unusual for one parent to be traveling with a minor and not have a document from the other parent authorizing such travel. If the check-in agent at the airport doesn't ask, they are not following procedure and are risking a fine to the airline from immigrations from the destination country if the child's not legal to enter. And I agree with Joe, RD$2,000 is more than reasonable.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Im not trying to be cheap, i just wanted to know if that is the going rate or if i was being ripped off. Ive lived here long enough to know that you can get ripped off here a lot if you arent smart!
If you guys think thats fine, then cool, thanks for the advice!

Also, i wanted her to prepare a document to say that i am legally responsible for the baby forever as am i right in saying that the father automatically gets the rights of the child? Because if i ever split up with the father then i want to know that the baby stays with me.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Clarify

Are you the father or mother of the child? Are you a Dominican or a foreigner? To what country are you trying to take the child.?

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You cannot leave this country without the other parent signing that you can.

My stepsons have not seen their mother since they were babies but she still has to sign when they leave to come with me to Uk and the last time they were 17 and 16.

You do need the document. You will always need it until the child is 18.

2000 RD$ is cheap.

Matilda

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
I don't want to sound cheap or crazy here either put I have done work with lawyers in Bavaro selling a business and buying one and buying a car and for a simple document I never paid more than 1,500 pesos each. I would imagine that a simple document of consent shouldn't cost that much since it only takes a few minutes to do. And the lawyer makes enough to cover their 10 minutes worth of work.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
selling and buying a business and the LEGAL paperwork for never more than 1500 pesos?
that's great, you found the perfect lawyer, make sure those business papers are registered aso.
depending on the case i also pay for the lawyer papers to sign business purposes 1500-5000 pesos per case, including shipping the papers so i do not have to travel to my lawyers office, she is located in st dgo.
to the OP,
the rate is not a rip off.
maybe there would be an other who hives you the same for 1500,
but you have one and the papers are worth that.
don't worry,
you did not get scammed by your lawyer.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Eralc777,
follow Mido's link to read Hillbilly's contribution.
a point of interest i found there while reading that been this:
5. If the minor (s) is/are going to travel with just one of the parents, the other parent must issue a notarized and legalized authorization. The Immigration office must also authorize the minor's exit. All this must be accompanied by two photo copies of the authorizing parent's c?dula or passport)

it says that if you, as one of the parents, travel with the minor, the other parent, in that case the father of the minor, needs to get that paper/documentation.

hope that helps
good luck
Mike

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Mike - these were local cafeteria and comedor transfer papers, not a multi-million dollar business. In addition, the papers to sell or buy a car are again transfer papers.

What she is asking for is a simple consent letter that would be signed and stamped. It should not take more than 15-20 minutes. I know people in Bavaro that have done it for the same price that I was charged to do my papers and there has never been an issue with the paperwork done.

I was not implying that she was getting ripped off, just that I know that she does not live in Bavaro where things like that are generally more expensive.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Shelly,
don't get me wrong,
i don't wanna question your papers from your lawyer,
and i mean what i wrote above,
you are lucky to have a lawyer like that here in bavaro,
not so long ago there have been only the ones for the big rip off even on sensible small stuff.
i paid i.e. for the papers of my car also exactly 1500 pesos,
and she paid to send the papers by Metro, lol.
of course plus the tax for the traspaso.
those rates compare mpre or less over the island to each others today, on anything between 1000 and 2000 pesos for small sealed and signed papers i would not waste time and look for an other one, it is the usual price range.
you are right, it will take the lawyer less than 30 minutes to receive the father's papers (it is the father who has to get that permission for her, not the other way, when she wanna travel with the minor), check them for authenticy(sp?) and then sign that the real father agreed to the mother's travel with his child.

an additional note to the OP:
you should make sure to have all required papers/documentations ready and up to date and at your hand on that travel, the european authorities are known to ask their Q's into the details and they want to see the required documentation.
a single traveler(male or female) with a small one from an other country/nationality of birth is suspicious for them and they step in.
we had such travels in the family to europe, in our case germany.
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just a thought - while at one stage you had to get a notarised letter from the other parent, this year the rule was changed and you have to present a form that is issued by Migraci?n - we did this for our trip in June. Our lawyer organised it for us but maybe it can be done independently.
I can't find the thread right now, but it was mentioned on the boards.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks Chiri,
great advice.
that been new for me.
i will need that for next summer's travel to europe,
cause aside of the own crowd we plan to take our Nany with us(she will be 12 by then), so soon i need to check for new regulations aso.
Mike

eddy1020

Oct 31, 2008
funny .........
for more than 17 years traveling with our son several times a year outside the DR; i was never asked this authorization papers ....
a few weeks ago when i left with our son almost 18 years (missing 2 months)
the migration asked for it!!!!!!!!!! well my son told that the grand parents are waiting at the airport and he misses them at lot.........and then the immigration told well then no problem and they were very nice.
once i did these papers when our son traveled with an different family and paid 2,400 pesos for it, and he was not asked to present these papers.....

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
you need the letter from the lawyer AND the paperwork from immigration. and you need to get it every time you leave the country. i don't think you can get travel paperwork that lasts forever. i think probably because the situation changes and maybe the father is not always going to be willing to let the child go.

here in santiago, there is a lawyer in the offices right next door to the immigration office. she charges 1200 for the letter. and the immigration papers cost about 1,000 (but you can get the VIP same day service for more)

that said, i have been told numerous times in the airport that i don't need the paperwork, so i haven't been using it. my husband goes to the airport with me and waits until i'm in just in case there's a problem and he can give his verbal word. but it's not happened yet.

i'd say, better safe than sorry though and get the papers if you're worried.