That gas "thing" does work

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have been wondering a while if the practice of slowly filling up the propane gas tanks actually gives one more gas as opposed to fillin git up rapidly.

To test this theory I have been consistently filling up my tank at one place in Santiago. I typically wait until the tank is completely empty and then fill it up. My averages to fill up the tank at the normal speed is around 16.3 gallons.

On Sunday on our normal trip to Moca, even though the tank wasn't empty I decided to fill it up and told them to do it as fast as possible. I estimate that there was at least 0.5 gallons left in the tank minimum. They proceeded to fill it up and I stopped them at 17.0 gallons when I'm pretty certain it would have gone to 17.5 gallons. The temperature was pretty hot as it was almost 12 noon.

From this experiment, it appears that the slower that the tank is filled up, the more gas one gets for the same price. I believe what is happening here is that the very slow or very fast flowrates are at the extreme of the meter's efficiency, thus the discrepancy.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
If you have a bleeder valve open it until gas comes out, This will vent out the air in the tank, you will also notice the tank filling faster as there is no resistance to the air pressure left in the tank.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you have a bleeder valve open it until gas comes out, This will vent out the air in the tank, you will also notice the tank filling faster as there is no resistance to the air pressure left in the tank.

I do have a bleeder valve, but in the cases I presented above I left it closed during the fill ups.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I have been wondering a while if the practice of slowly filling up the propane gas tanks actually gives one more gas as opposed to fillin git up rapidly.

To test this theory I have been consistently filling up my tank at one place in Santiago. I typically wait until the tank is completely empty and then fill it up. My averages to fill up the tank at the normal speed is around 16.3 gallons.

On Sunday on our normal trip to Moca, even though the tank wasn't empty I decided to fill it up and told them to do it as fast as possible. I estimate that there was at least 0.5 gallons left in the tank minimum. They proceeded to fill it up and I stopped them at 17.0 gallons when I'm pretty certain it would have gone to 17.5 gallons. The temperature was pretty hot as it was almost 12 noon.

From this experiment, it appears that the slower that the tank is filled up, the more gas one gets for the same price. I believe what is happening here is that the very slow or very fast flowrates are at the extreme of the meter's efficiency, thus the discrepancy.
I've been doing that for awhile and by going slower you get quite a bit more gas. Learned that from one of my employees.

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
That is why you open the bleeder valve. In the U.S. all L,P. tanks on fork lifts the bleeder valve is open for rapid fill up. Plus purging the air out. Remember it goes in as a gas and comes out as a liquid hence liquid propane gas. L.P.G. Plus there is only so much you can put into a tank. Mine holds 15 gals. In the morning when it is cold I can get in maybe 16.5 if the bleeder is open. I have filled it when it is hot and only got around 13. Remember gas expands. Some fill stations even have sprinklers on top to cool the tanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Now what really matters is the mileage you get per tank. Do you get the same mileage by filling in slowly 13 gallons, or filling fast 15?

If you do get same mileage, you obviously want to fill slower. If you get different mileage, it really does not matter.... but because of all the talk about the slow filling, I suppose the mileage is same per FULL tank regardless of with how many gallons it took to fill full.

Reactions: Rocky

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
premium lp?

This is all so confusing, the last time at "cocina" gas the guy was trying to sell premium, saying it gets more mileage. Can this be true?

Feb 7, 2007
There is nothing like a premium LPG. There is one and only price, and the price is set by SEIC each Friday.