Going to Haiti

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It looks like I'm fortunate to get a new project and it happens to be a resort in Haiti located an hour east of the capital.

I plan on travelling there in a week or so with a Dominican friend and a Haitain pastor via Montecristi in the pastor's jeep.

I was just wondering if anybody had any insight or tips they wanted to add, like food to eat, etc.

May 12, 2005
Bring a flak jacket and kevlar helmet. Enjoy your trip Chip. Take some photos. I'm curious to see what the landscape in Haiti looks like.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Haiti is just fine... I go there often... Don't believe what most people write about it, as they haven't been there...

Just make sure to be with someone who knows the area for your first trip. Afterwards, you can go on your own.

There's no real organization, things are a mess, but it is sometimes very refreshing.

Pick up some creole, it helps (although lot of Haitian speak a bit of English & Spanish...)

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Haiti is not as bad as people say, I lived there for 2 years, and still go back on a regular basis, sure there's alot of security problem, but if you have someone with you that knows the area and speak creole, you should be just fine. Have a safe trip and enjoy the beautiful Haiti, beside the capital, Haiti have alot of nice place. Where is that resort? Is it a new resort or an existing one, 1 hour from the capital could might be MOULIN SUR MER, if it is, lucky, this is paradise down there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Haiti is not as bad as people say, I lived there for 2 years, and still go back on a regular basis, sure there's alot of security problem, but if you have someone with you that knows the area and speak creole, you should be just fine. Have a safe trip and enjoy the beautiful Haiti, beside the capital, Haiti have alot of nice place. Where is that resort? Is it a new resort or an existing one, 1 hour from the capital could might be MOULIN SUR MER, if it is, lucky, this is paradise down there.

It is a new resort under planning.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bon voyage Chip - hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey. If you get the chance, go to the north: Cap-Haitien and the Citadelle are definitely worth a visit.

The food is not that different from Dominican cuisine, with some variations. Here's an article I wrote when I was working there:
Haitian cooking - Dominican Cooking

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Bon voyage Chip - hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey. If you get the chance, go to the north: Cap-Haitien and the Citadelle are definitely worth a visit.

The food is not that different from Dominican cuisine, with some variations. Here's an article I wrote when I was working there:
Haitian cooking - Dominican Cooking

You must be kidding me! Ok Dominican food is good, but nothing to compair to Haitian food, I've traveled many place and never found a place like Haiti for food, it smeel and taste so good.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Like all Caribbean countries, the DR and Haiti have many dishes and key ingredients in common - rice, beans, pigeon peas, plantains, etc. Both countries also have many of their own distinctive dishes. I'm not going to argue about whether one cuisine is better than the other - I've had bad and good food in both places and tend to conclude that it has more to do with the cook's skills than with their nationality. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
So Chip, you do not need a contact with a Haitian civil engineer?////????

I think it is strange that you post looking for a surveyor and don't get back to me when i offer to put you into contact with a fellow engineer....What's up?

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So Chip, you do not need a contact with a Haitian civil engineer?////????

I think it is strange that you post looking for a surveyor and don't get back to me when i offer to put you into contact with a fellow engineer....What's up?

HB

I thought I said yes send me the info in the other thread - if not send it on - thanks.

angus murray

Sep 29, 2008
Moulin Sur Mer is old and tired, Xaragua is a dump-best resort on the North coast is Kaliko Beach at KM 66. Food is buffet, not so good but passable. Try to get what is called a chambre independant- neighbors w/ boom boxes abound on weekends. Never heard of a resort on the East coast. Jacmel has a resort? There's a new hotel called Cap Lamandou but its just a nice hotel. Port Salut near Les Cayes? Haven't heard of any resort there.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Moulin Sur Mer is old and tired, Xaragua is a dump-best resort on the North coast is Kaliko Beach at KM 66. Food is buffet, not so good but passable. Try to get what is called a chambre independant- neighbors w/ boom boxes abound on weekends. Never heard of a resort on the East coast. Jacmel has a resort? There's a new hotel called Cap Lamandou but its just a nice hotel. Port Salut near Les Cayes? Haven't heard of any resort there.

Moulin sur Mer old and tired? When was the last time you went there? It may be not a 5 stars but it's a nice and quiet hotel. Haiti doesnt have much resort, but a nice hotel in the capital would be Hotel Montana or El Rancho.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just got some disturbing news, a German friend of mine who was going to be the surveyor of the project refuses to go as his Dominican partner who has spent many years working in Haiti says told him it is too dangerous for a white person to go there, gulp.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...as his Dominican partner who has spent many years working in Haiti says told him it is too dangerous for a white person to go there, gulp.
Come on, man... Are you gonna listen to what Dominicans have to say about Haiti ???
Go there and forge yourself your own opinion !

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Come on, man... Are you gonna listen to what Dominicans have to say about Haiti ???
Go there and forge yourself your own opinion !

Why stop there?

Maybe he should go to Iraq, Afghanistan and Mumbai and forge his own opinion also!
Sometimes one should listen to others. Especially now with the world wide economic crisis, people are more desperate. Now is not a good time for an American to stand out like a sore thumb. Perhaps if one looked like Rambo it would be better.

Don - SantiagoDR

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Just got some disturbing news, a German friend of mine who was going to be the surveyor of the project refuses to go as his Dominican partner who has spent many years working in Haiti says told him it is too dangerous for a white person to go there, gulp.

Well I'm white, was living there for years and never had any problem. there is some insecurity but not as bad as people think.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Chip,
as long as you know some people here you will be fine. If you have the guile to survive in D.R. you will be fine in Haiti where although you might not want to wander the streets of Cite Soleil of a dark night, you will not be seen as a tourist who needs to have his wallet emptied as a matter of national pride.

From your previous posts, I gather you live in Santiago- in this case the drive up to Dajabon is the quickest way to get to Haiti. There is a stunning day of driving from Ounaminthe via Cap Haitian to Port au Prince - not everybody's cup of tea - but an experience you will not forget in a hurry! You pass through savanna, incredible mountains, towns, villages, rice paddies, limestone cliffs, coastline etc. Take a camera!
Anyway - do not beleive the hype about the dangers of Haiti.
I am curious to know where the resort is to be built.
There is almost no east coast in Haiti and if you travel east of the Capital you end up back in Dom Rep. The south coast is beautiful, an unspoiled Caribbean paradise. The west coast has its moments with some slightly shabby resorts. The north coast has a couple of stunning resorts.
Anyhoo, good luck with your endeavors in Haiti.
PM me if you need anything.