Exchange rates for all currencies

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hi all,

I've checked out the sticky on "Latest Exchange Rates" but have noticed that somebody was recently chastised for posing a question about Canadian vs US dollars when coming to the DR:

"This thread is for posting current exchange rates ONLY. Please post questions to other threads or create you own thread."

OK, so to avoid a virtual bo**ocking, I'll start a thread which I hope will be of help to ALL users of ALL currencies, not just the US$.

As a UK resident and, following the recent extreme changes in exchange rates (from my point of view the UK? has dropped from nearly two dollars to the pound to 1 dollar 50 cents), it would be helpful if DR1's would post the exchange rate for Canadian dollars, Euros, US dollars and UK pounds to the peso if they have the info & the time. There is generally a board/poster at Cambios that covers all popular currencies [when last I was there on 6th October].

If posters would be willing to do this then visitors would be able to make the decision, in advance, whether to bring their home currency or exchange for US$/DOP$. This would maximise their spending potential, be they a once a year visitor or somebody who is fortunate enough to be able to visit more.

If there is a "sticky" as to what the weather is going to be like, surely this would be as useful to posters and readers alike.

In my humble opinion.....

Regards

Reidy

Reactions: rellosk

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
or you could go to xe.com and see the up to date exchange rates for currencies all over the world....

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
or you could go to xe.com and see the up to date exchange rates for currencies all over the world....
The point is that the cambios in the Dominican Republic do not consistently pay the current FOREX exchange rates on all currencies.

I have seen the FOREX/cambio spread for the CDN$ at 10-20% although 5-10% seems more common now.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
The ex.com rates.....are they what they really are in say like Sosua? Just asking as I am leaving on Sunday to come down there and still am undecided as to what I am bringing. CAD or USD. I usually bring USD but the Canadian dollar is still so low and the exchange amount is going to kill me.

Really I just can't wait to have a nice cold Cervesa!!!!!!

Cheers
Erin

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
unfortuneatly they don't reflect what you get at the cambios....but i would suggest bringing USD, only because when the Canadian dollar was higher than the US the cambios here didn't give a better rate for it....probably the best place to exchange in Sosua is Caribe Tours in Charemicos, just down the street from where you pick up the bus.....

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
What is the rate right now at the cambios for US and Canadian dollars?

I have been on the website suggested on here but I would like to know what Sosua's rate is. I usually travel with US dollars but I am trying to figure out what is going to get me the most pesos.

Thanks

Sammy!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I wonder when the first exchange rate will be posted here...

Last Tuesday (28th. Oct) at the cambio opposite the Post Office (not RUSA's, the small one near corner with Separacion) in Puerto Plata it was 51.50 to the ? and 43 to the Euro. I know that will have changed by today because Forex rates have changed. I have the email address of that cambio so people can write and ask for current rates if they wish viticocambio@hotmail.com
I can't guarantee you getting a reply, knowing how things work here ;) but you could try.

I might have the time to occasionally post sterling & euro rates in PP but am not offering to undertake this on a regular basis; simply don't have the time.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Last Tuesday (28th. Oct) at the cambio opposite the Post Office (not RUSA's, the small one near corner with Separacion) in Puerto Plata it was 51.50 to the ? and 43 to the Euro. I know that will have changed by today because Forex rates have changed. I have the email address of that cambio so people can write and ask for current rates if they wish viticocambio@hotmail.com
I can't guarantee you getting a reply, knowing how things work here ;) but you could try.

I might have the time to occasionally post sterling & euro rates in PP but am not offering to undertake this on a regular basis; simply don't have the time.

Many thanks for the info Lambada . . according to the XE website the rate was 57 to the ? and 45.5 to the ? so there's quite a difference.

Hopefully other DR1'ers will have the chance to occasionally post the rates which will enable others to make an informed choice regarding currencies.

Regards.

Reidy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Many thanks for the info Lambada . . according to the XE website the rate was 57 to the ? and 45.5 to the ? so there's quite a difference.

But Reidy, did you not see that I said those were the PP cambio rates for TUESDAY (NOT today). The XE rates you've given are for today. The exchange markets have been all over the place in the 2 intervening days, really they have. I check them for my own purposes. Tuesday's Forex ? to peso was more like a 54.5. Today is 57.6. That's a 3 peso difference between Tuesday's rate & Thursday's.

When an exchange market is volatile you have to compare like with like i.e. the same day; preferably roughly the same time. Yes there is a difference but it isn't of the order you're indicating. I'm all for informed choices but they have to based on correct data.

Where's Tambo when you need him? ;)

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
But Reidy, did you not see that I said those were the PP cambio rates for TUESDAY (NOT today). The XE rates you've given are for today. The exchange markets have been all over the place in the 2 intervening days, really they have. I check them for my own purposes. Tuesday's Forex ? to peso was more like a 54.5. Today is 57.6. That's a 3 peso difference between Tuesday's rate & Thursday's.

When an exchange market is volatile you have to compare like with like i.e. the same day; preferably roughly the same time. Yes there is a difference but it isn't of the order you're indicating. I'm all for informed choices but they have to based on correct data.

Where's Tambo when you need him? ;)

I didn't come across there very well did I? Apologies for that. The point I was trying to get across is that it would be a big help to get the rates from the people on the ground rather than from a website; sorry if I scr***d up. Once again, thanks for your info.

Regards

Reidy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bottom line, you are better off bringing USD and leave the Loonies home... you will always get hosed CAD to RD Pesos. The ATM solution is even better!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Exchange Rates @ 31 October 2008

I have the email address of that cambio so people can write and ask for current rates if they wish viticocambio@hotmail.com

I followed Lambada's advice, mailed Victor at the Cambio and he agreed to send me the rates as often as he could.

Have just received these:-

AMERICAN DOLLAR 1 X 34.90 PESOS
EURO 1 X 44.00 PESOS
UK POUND ST 1 X 54.00 PESOS
CANADIAN DOLLAR 1 X 26.70 PESOS
SWISS FRANC 1 X 29.00 PESOS

I will post as often as I receive them & thanks Victor.

Courtesy of the Cambio opposite the Post Office (not RUSA's, the small one near corner with Separacion) in Puerto Plata.

viticocambio@hotmail.com

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I followed Lambada's advice, mailed Victor at the Cambio and he agreed to send me the rates as often as he could.

Have just received these:-

AMERICAN DOLLAR 1 X 34.90 PESOS
EURO 1 X 44.00 PESOS
UK POUND ST 1 X 54.00 PESOS
CANADIAN DOLLAR 1 X 26.70 PESOS
SWISS FRANC 1 X 29.00 PESOS

I will post as often as I receive them & thanks Victor.

Courtesy of the Cambio opposite the Post Office (not RUSA's, the small one near corner with Separacion) in Puerto Plata.

viticocambio@hotmail.com

Well knock me over with a feather, it worked! :cheeky: Well done & well done Victor.

Btw I passed by there today & those rates are correct :)