Cremation in Dominican Republic

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Until not too many years ago, cremation was illegal in the DR. However, now it is allowed and is done by Funeraria Blandino in its Santo Domingo funeral home. Funeraria Blandino. Republica Dominicana.

Its main branch funeral home is in Santiago. Bodies that it picks up from a home or hospital are sent to Santo Domingo for cremation. A person making use of the Santiago office has the choice of going to Santo Domingo to pick up the ashes when they are ready, or can have Blandino bring them to the Santiago funeral home on one of the frequent trips made by the company between its two branches.

The price price of cremation is approximately US$1,700, substantially more than what is charged in the US. However, there is no competition in the DR, and there are necessary services provided by or arrnged for by the funeral home that are not necessary in the US.

One of these services is to arrange for an autopsy by the government doctors. This is required by the Dominican Republic. No matter what is reported by the doctor who attended the deceased, the designted Dominican doctors make the official autopsy and issue the death certificate. This is all handled by Blandino and the documents will be delilvered to you by them.

The American Consulate issues a "Death of an American Overseas"; I was given 10 copies, all with the important raised seal to prove their authenticity. If you are taking the ashes out of the Dominican Republic, you will also need authorization from the Consulate to transport the ashes into the US. This is also obtained by Blandino.

You should know that before the cremation is done Blandino makes its own investigation. If, for example, you are crematilng your spouse, Blandino will contact your children to see if they approve. I believe this is also something they are required to do.

My thought on these procedures is that the DR doesn't want to become a place where husbands bump off their wife or wives bump off their husbands and get away with the murder. For these reasons I think the government makes its own autopsy and other family members are contacted to see if they are in agreement with the deceased being cremated.

If possible it is advisable to register with Blandino before death occurs, but this is not required. You don't pay until death occurs, but pre registration speeds up the process after death has occured, at time when you don't much feel like answering a lot of questions.

The process I have described is specific for Americans, but I think there is similar procedure for all foreigners who are cremated, except that the embassy or consulate of some other country would be issuing the documents.

The adddresses and phone numbers are on the website that I linked you to above. In terms of directions, I don't know where the Santo Dominigo office is but the Santiago office is accross the street from the big public cemetery. You can't miss the building, it is huge and is well marked with signs.

Taking the ashes into the US is not difficult, except you can be sure that yiou will get some extra attention from the TSA screeners. The ashes appear on the xray screen to be a big black blob with no way of knowing what is inside. However, they are understanding when you explain, and you have the papers issued the the Consulate to show if required. But they will take the box the ashes are in and run it through the xray a second time.

Reactions: waytogo

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Great post. I have been considering this for a deceased family member. Do you have any information on whether this could be done for a family member already interred? Could the body be dug up and then cremated? If you have any information it would be great, if not I would call my self.

As per Blandino in SD, its on Lincoln, I believe two blocks down from the 27 de Febrero.

Mr. Lu

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great post.
to get my bu** heated up when gone is what i want for myself.
does everybody on the bord has experience/info about regulations in case of the german embassy?
i know it been a problem years ago, a big hassle,
after the death of a friend, his mother wanted his ashes there.
thanks
Mike

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Totally agree. Ken is a gentleman and a fine human being. Btw my family used Blandino's services for my dads funeral. It was a regular service that was very professionally done. I recommend.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and in case you are polish

since we are sharing info of funeral arrangements:
for all polish citizens - there is no polish embassy/consulate in DR, in order to legally transport the body (whole or ashes) from DR to PL one need to have a coffin/urn stamped by a polish consul.
the procedure requires covering all costs regarding consul's trip to DR (from PR, miami or caracas) and then official costs as well. just that would come to few thousand US dollars.
i would recommend cremation as waiting for a consul make take time.
similar rules must apply for other countries that do not have legal representative in DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Great post. I have been considering this for a deceased family member. Do you have any information on whether this could be done for a family member already interred? Could the body be dug up and then cremated? If you have any information it would be great, if not I would call my self.

Mr. Liu, I don't know the answer. I recommend you call Roselia Acosta in the Santo Domingo office, 809-533-3232. Speaks excellent English and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can recommend Blandino. And I have had reason to use them too many times over the years../

HB

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I see prices have gone up, I looked into this for a friend and the price was $40,000 [4-5 years ago]

One month ago (February 2011) we had to arrange cremation for a Polish citizen who died here.
The approximate costs charged by Blandino were as follows:

1. Cremation US$1,450.00
2. Attendance of Priest for memorial service US$25.00
3. Polish Consular Fees US$100.00
4. DHL for documentation by Embassy in Caracas US$180.00
4. Transport of remains US$100.00
5. Airfreight to Warsaw ashes + 1 suitcase US$605.00

In addition to the above, at the deceased family's request, a casket was purchased for the memorial service at a cost of US$600 - which was donated to charity after the proceedings

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I checked out Connel's first post on DR1, and it is a site for people who want to know about cremation and the artifacts that go with it: Urns for ashes and such. It seems to me that it is good information on a most difficult subject.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when this thread started (2008) there was no polish consulado in DR. since then they have opened one (in costambar, honorary). makes things easier for miesposo in case i kick the bucket. of course he may still chose to throw me to the sharks :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Maybe a new service and business opportunity for MikeFisher. Fishing Charters and Burial at Sea. LOL (don't get mad at me, Mike.. I'm just kidding. :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
For people on the NC there is always the bonfire on Saturday night at Kiosko Beach. I am sure something can be arranged with Johnny.

Seriously, excellent thread, Ken