ATM Machines not working??

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
Sorry couldnt do a search, since ATM is only 3 letters. However, ive tried 8 differentt ATH/ATM's today to try to take money out of my USA card (ive done it every day since ive been here with no problem), over two hours, and all of them do not work. It seem slike even for some locals its not working, but some i do see take money out.

I called my bank and they said they do not even show any record of declines, and that i do have money in the account.

Im just wondering if there is ever a such thing as perhaps international cards not working due to some internal problems or something of that nature? I even tried my wife's ATM card at all locations and it didnt work neither...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As a security precaution many banks will suspend your ATM/Credit cards after one usage out of the country, to prevent fraudulant usage overseas.

You need to notify your bank as well any credit card company's of your planned vacation if you plan on using the cards in DR.

t'

yamaneko

Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, thats the thing though. Every day this trip ive used it with no problem. Until today.

And when i called the bank, they said there shouldnt be any problem, and theres no hold on the card nor account. Very frustrating.

I have enough to get to the airport tomorrow, but i dont have enough for the departure fee...isnt that 20 dollars per person?

BooGirl

Oct 25, 2008
I had called the bank 2 days ago with that issue. The bank told me that is has to be your chequing account that your using they can change it in a minute for you if it's your savings account, cause that's that only button you can use "chequing". I'm from Canada, if that helps. ALso if your card has that "plus symbol" on the back you need to use it at ATM's that have the same symbol.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Yamaneko - I've had that happen to me where I've been declined and then called by bank only to find out there is no problem.

I have had another experience TWICE where the ATM does not dispense cash or receipt and gives me a message that it cannot complete transaction - then I get home and see that the $ has been withdrawn from my account. That happened to me a few months ago and my USA credit union immediately replaced the money. Tonight I broke my rule of only using ATMs located within banks and it happened again - 2 unsuccessful transactions and 1 successful transaction. The two unsuccessful transactions show up as withdrawals from my account even though I received no money/receipt - I am done with that particular bank.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Banco Popular - first time it was the ATM at Claro office on independencia and tonight it was the ATM at Carrefour. they also have an ATM on Betancourt with a button for withdrawing $5000 but it only gives $500- fortunately the receipt says $500 and not $5000. Must be programmed wrong.

When I've tried to explain the situation they tell me to contact MY bank even though I am informing them they have a faulty ATM.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Banco Popular - first time it was the ATM at Claro office on independencia and tonight it was the ATM at Carrefour. they also have an ATM on Betancourt with a button for withdrawing $5000 but it only gives $500- fortunately the receipt says $500 and not $5000. Must be programmed wrong.

When I've tried to explain the situation they tell me to contact MY bank even though I am informing them they have a faulty ATM.

Ok my credit union informed me today that one of the withdrawals is from the unsuccessful Ban Progresso transaction - I could hear the money being counted in the machine but nothing was dispensed - so it appears the problem is not related to a particular bank since my two problems have been with Ban Progresso and BP.

Feb 7, 2007
Do a cash advance within a bank.
Popular will do cash advance only on CREDIT cards.
Progresso will do cash advance on ANY card, you need 2 photo IDs.
Banreservas will do cash advance on ANY VISA card only.

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i went to a bank machine at la sirena supermarket outside in santo domingo
every time
i was there i never had a problem

it was a bank machine with a yellow sign there are three together there. i cannot remember the name of the bank but i always got my money i was there for three months
it was none of the machines mentioned above
i am from canada as well
this was in santo domingo