Retirement in DR

erna

Oct 21, 2008
I?m a newcommer in here. But I?ve been reading and following a lot of your threads wich has been mostly very helpful and sometimes confusing. As I?m from Sweden it?s a little bit hard sometimes to change US dollars to RD dollars to Swedish kronor. And I?m not supergood in english when it comes to more complexed discussions :eek: And it might be dificult for you out there to understand my swenglish:paranoid:
Well, I?m planning to move to DR when my husband retires about four years from now. The reason is not the sun nor the beach, wich is only a bonus, but the fact that my daughter and her husband is moving there and they want us to come and we want to be near them. Anyhow we imagine that despite all the practical, theoretical, electrical, water and other disasters that we will have to struggle with in DR it might give us a chance to get in to another kind of rythm and for certain it will be different than here for god and for bad.
I,ve red Ginnie Beedggods book " Quisqueya" and have had som e-mail contact with her so I at least know that to be able to understand anything about the country I have to be there myself and I have to learn a little spanish. At the moment my spanish is worse than my english:ermm:
I do not have a specific question for the moment I just would like to announce my presens and let you know who I am in case I would like to comment or ask a question in the future. To be able to get this insight in others struggles, miracles and experiences in DR is one way to get a little glims of the country. Thank you:)

Carina

erna

Oct 21, 2008
Hi CFA 123
Thank you for the links and for your quick respond
As we have got good advices from Ginnie and from reading in this forum we have decided to not decide where to live until we?ve been in the country for at least 6-12 month. During that time we are welcome to live with my daughter and her husband in Santo Domingo. As my daughters husband, born in sweden with a dominican father, has a lot of his relatives in DR they have promised to show us around. Most of his relatives lives either in Santo Domingo or somewhere in the northeast side of the country. We will visit the country a couple of times before my husband retires, to get to know the town and my daughters relatives in law. Then we will visit a couple of times to be more familiar with other parts of the country.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hi CFA 123
Thank you for the links and for your quick respond
As we have got good advices from Ginnie and from reading in this forum we have decided to not decide where to live until we?ve been in the country for at least 6-12 month. During that time we are welcome to live with my daughter and her husband in Santo Domingo. As my daughters husband, born in sweden with a dominican father, has a lot of his relatives in DR they have promised to show us around. Most of his relatives lives either in Santo Domingo or somewhere in the northeast side of the country. We will visit the country a couple of times before my husband retires, to get to know the town and my daughters relatives in law. Then we will visit a couple of times to be more familiar with other parts of the country.

With local connections you will be OK and safe from "gringo prices" and typical rip-off. From your new Dominican relatives you will learn much more than from reading DR.1.

You may be even teach us something. Especially regarding "real life" prices and gringo prices ( including on RE).

Good luck, Erna! Enjoy the beautiful country!

God bless you and your family!

erna

Oct 21, 2008
With local connections you will be OK and safe from "gringo prices" and typical rip-off. From your new Dominican relatives you will learn much more than from reading DR.1.

You may be even teach us something. Especially regarding "real life" prices and gringo prices ( including on RE).

Good luck, Erna! Enjoy the beautiful country!

God bless you and your family!

Thank you AK74
....and good bless you:)
But what does RE means?