Bringing a laptop from UK to DR?

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi

Has anybody brought along a laptop from the UK to the DR, and if so, did it work okay? I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop in the UK, but don't know whether I'm going to run into any problems with it working okay.

Thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi

Has anybody brought along a laptop from the UK to the DR, and if so, did it work okay? I'm thinking about purchasing a laptop in the UK, but don't know whether I'm going to run into any problems with it working okay.

Thanks
Being a Laptop you will doubtless be working via a tranformer/charger I presume?

Make sure the transformer/charger will work off 110v rather than the 240v system of the UK. You would be advised to purchase a three pin (UK style) to two or three pin (US style) adapter. Try & get a power surge/spike protector too if you value a long term relationship with your laptop!! ~ Grahame. ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What I was asking was regarding the output/electricity, as the UK use 220 and the DR 110. I wanted to know how a UK laptop would work in the DR.

Thanks

T

Then Bushbaby gave you the right info.

Good luck!!!!!!

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Being a Laptop you will doubtless be working via a tranformer/charger I presume?

Make sure the transformer/charger will work off 110v rather than the 240v system of the UK. You would be advised to purchase a three pin (UK style) to two or three pin (US style) adapter. Try & get a power surge/spike protector too if you value a long term relationship with your laptop!! ~ Grahame. ;)

I'll research the possibility of a 110v transformer - thanks. However, I'd probably need to buy the power surge protector in the DR wouldn't I, as the plugs will be different? Unless it's possible to buy a protector that provides a UK style to US style plug thingy.

carl.r

Oct 22, 2007
hi tish
i use 2 laptops from the uk, had no problems, i dont use a transformer, would advise you buy a power surge protector in the DR, and a coupe of 3 pin plug converters from the pound shop in the uk !!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I already brought a laptop here from the UK, no problems, I agree with all the above just double check that the transformer that came with the laptop is multi voltage. It should be written on its label.

Feb 7, 2007
Virtually all transformers (power charges) that come with the laptops sold in North America are dual 110/220V. I would assume the same applies to laptops sold in Europe.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I already brought a laptop here from the UK, no problems, I agree with all the above just double check that the transformer that came with the laptop is multi voltage. It should be written on its label.

Do you think, like Rubio Higuey mentioned, that all laptops come with a transformer? It sounds like I would need to check either way to be sure. We have an inversole in our house in the DR, will it still be necessary to buy a surge protector?

What make was your laptop, just out of interest.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Do you think, like Rubio Higuey mentioned, that all laptops come with a transformer? It sounds like I would need to check either way to be sure. We have an inversole in our house in the DR, will it still be necessary to buy a surge protector?

What make was your laptop, just out of interest.

rubio_higuey and granca, are correct. All laptops sold today are sold with a universal power adapter that works from AC ~100-240 50/60Hz. What good is a laptop if it you can't travel with it to different countries and use it without having to buy some expensive power converter? All you'll need is a cheap power plug adapter. Some laptops even bring one or two power plug adapters (like gender changers -- simple plug converter) from the manufacture. If the laptop will stay in the DR permanently you can just chop the end off the power plug and replace it with the standard one used in DR.

In DR you can never have to much surge protection, so, bring or buy a surge protector for your laptop.

NotLurking.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
rubio_higuey and granca, are correct. All laptops sold today are sold with a universal power adapter that works from AC ~100-240 50/60Hz. What good is a laptop if it you can't travel with it to different countries and use it without having to buy some expensive power converter? All you'll need is a cheap power plug adapter. Some laptops even bring one or two power plug adapters (like gender changers -- simple plug converter) from the manufacture. If the laptop will stay in the DR permanently you can just chop the end off the power plug and replace it with the standard one used in DR.

In DR you can never have to much surge protection, so, bring or buy a surge protector for your laptop.

NotLurking.

Perfect. Thanks everyone.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It was a TINY, it still is and it works although tiny have gone out of business. All, to my best knowledge, laptops come with a charger and yes a surge protector is a good idea.