DR or Costa Rica?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a good friend who is looking at buying a small property to build a condo or a condo development in Costa Rica. Does anybody know what adavntages or disadvantages there would be to do this this compared to doing the same project here in the DR?

thanks

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I believe eco tourism is more popular in Costa Rica due to the diverse wildlife....I was speaking to a family on a cruise that said it was their favourite destination..in fact most sentences started with in costa rica lol

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
My cousin has purchased some land in Costa Rica a few years ago, but has yet to develop anything, i'll check with her why hasnt started or whats the hold up!!

Costa Rica, looks amazing!! so lush! very exotic!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
CR is by far the smarter choice.....I say this having been in the real estate biz there during the mid-90s....the mountains or Pacific side are the "preferred" places to be.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You will have to deal with rainy season whereby it rains everyday from 12 noon until 6pm from june-november.

Nice country but you can get robbed just walking down the street and there were plenty of in-home invasions in Escazu which is where I lived and is considered to be one of the better areas.

No electric problems or blackouts though

track

Sep 6, 2008
If you like a real underdeveloped country, Costa Rica is the place. Little asphalt roads, bad communication infrastructure and lots of jungles and wildlife.

It's more quiet than DR but has more crime.

It's my personal opinion and Donald Trump that DR has more potential for investment.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I lost my contacts with CR RE peolpe about two years ago. But at that moment RE in CR was more expensive than in DR. What is the current state of affairs I do not know.

Love was also more expensive in CR two years ago, if it matters for your relatives.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Have lived in CR one year and eventhough it's a lot more beautiful in nature than the DR it also has it's black outs not much as here though but it's a lot more expensive than the DR.
Quite a few of my friends who invested in CR have moved from there and invested somewhere else.

Mar 2, 2008
I looked into CR for about a year and a half. I was in the process of getting my residency and investing some money. I left it all behind, the money, the sleazy lawyers and real estate agents, the crooked and unfriendly beaurocracy, the crime, and the hypocracy.

For all the faults the DR has, I find it to be far superior to CR.

It's just my opinion, but I formed this opinion through personal experience, and I paid dearly for it. Experience is the best teacher, but fools will learn from no other, as my buddy Ben said.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't believe in better or worse.
Choosing a country of residence, part or full time, is as individual a choice as dating, preference in foods, design, music or colors.
I thus however believe in ruling out.
When it comes to countries, I have, after having resided in almost 10 different ones, found that one thing that will over time be a downturn, is clashing with the local "culture"... in other words, a country's local population.
No beach, sand, sunshine or what ever will ever make good for ones contempt towards the local population's everyday way of life. Because at the end of a day, it's its people which makes a country, and it's something that will affect every aspect of your life or time there.

I would think that Costa Ricans and Dominicans are, while belonging to the wide "Latino" circle of cultures, very very different.
So, that's where I would test myself against first.

Also be warned that Costa Rica (too) is been plagued with fraudulent real estate "transactions"... many perpetuated by US and EU citizens luring their fellow country folks into confidence via language or origins.

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for the replies.

If I understand correctly, if it is a question of living the opinion seems living in the DR is preferable to CR. As far as a question of investment they may be a wash, correct?

As far as having a condo to visit frequently here which location would be preferable? My friend and his wife travel frequently and I'm sure would like the benefit of speaking in English and having most conveniences they are accustomed too. They are very social and like to dance and meet people as well. What do you guys think - Punta Cana?

Thanks

Jun 18, 2007
I don't believe in better or worse.
Choosing a country of residence, part or full time, is as individual a choice as dating, preference in foods, design, music or colors.
I thus however believe in ruling out.
When it comes to countries, I have, after having resided in almost 10 different ones, found that one thing that will over time be a downturn, is clashing with the local "culture"... in other words, a country's local population.
No beach, sand, sunshine or what ever will ever make good for ones contempt towards the local population's everyday way of life. Because at the end of a day, it's its people which makes a country, and it's something that will affect every aspect of your life or time there.

I would think that Costa Ricans and Dominicans are, while belonging to the wide "Latino" circle of cultures, very very different.
So, that's where I would test myself against first.

Also be warned that Costa Rica (too) is been plagued with fraudulent real estate "transactions"... many perpetuated by US and EU citizens luring their fellow country folks into confidence via language or origins.

... J-D.
Not just the real estate agents are not to be trusted but also the average Tico, they're ****ty employees and every time you shake hands you gotta count your fingers!!
Must say though that I've also met nice Tico's who I consider to be very good friends.

Jun 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

If I understand correctly, if it is a question of living the opinion seems living in the DR is preferable to CR. As far as a question of investment they may be a wash, correct?

As far as having a condo to visit frequently here which location would be preferable? My friend and his wife travel frequently and I'm sure would like the benefit of speaking in English and having most conveniences they are accustomed too. They are very social and like to dance and meet people as well. What do you guys think - Punta Cana?

Thanks

What about Juan Dolio??? That might be something for your friends.